Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2007, 12:48 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,575,213 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittnurse70 View Post
Louisville, Colorado: LEWIS ville, not Louie ville

Norfolk, Nebraska: Pronounced NOR fork by Nebraskans. I had to show my DH on a map, that the spelling was Nor FOLK, not nor FORK.

Down in VA, they pronounce it NAWFK.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2007, 12:52 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,575,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
Here's some good ones from SoCal:

Ojai is: O-HI

Port Hueneme is: Port Y-NEE-ME

It's interesting how city names are pronounced; and I never felt offended if someone got it wrong. Guess I view it differently than those who get irritated if someone isn't born knowing how to pronounce something correctly.
Don't forget LaJolla (la HOY-uh)

Also, I heard that Paso Robles is actually pronounced Paso Robuls (not Robe-less), is that correct? If yes, I will stop trying to second guess the pronounciation of Spanish-named towns in CA

Old 12-06-2007, 06:54 PM

1,197 posts, read 4,781,797 times
Nevada is often mispronounced.

It is Nevada
not Nevahda.

Old 12-06-2007, 06:54 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,760,061 times
edit, never mind

Old 12-07-2007, 08:33 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,359,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
Don't forget LaJolla (la HOY-uh)

Also, I heard that Paso Robles is actually pronounced Paso Robuls (not Robe-less), is that correct? If yes, I will stop trying to second guess the pronounciation of Spanish-named towns in CA
I believe it would be pronounced "robe-lace", not "robe-less". Am I correct in that?

Old 12-07-2007, 09:01 AM

7,055 posts, read 19,299,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verseau View Post
I always get a kick out of tourists who can't correctly pronounce the names of towns in New England, even though they are overwhelmingly ENGLISH names.

A few examples:

Worcester, MA - pronounced "WUSS-tuh" (the vowel in "wuss" is the same vowel in "book" - although some people Bostonians say WISS-tah, I think)
Gloucester, MA - GLAWSS-tuh
Leominster, MA - LEM-in-stuh
Concord (MA and NH) - KAWNK-id
Pawtucket, RI - Puh-TUCK-it
Quincy, MA - KWIN-zee
Woburn, MA - WOO-bin
Peabody, MA - PEE-b'dee
Reading, MA - RED-ing
Dracut, MA - DRAY-kit
Leicester, MA - LESS-tuh
Haverhill, MA - HAYV-rill
Scituate, MA - SITCH-oo-it
Natick, MA - NAYD-ik
Nashua, NH - NASH-oo-uh
Plaistow, NH - PLASS-tau (rhymes with "cow")
Lowell, MA - LOW-ull
Methuen, MA - Meh-THOO-in
Pembroke (MA or NH) - PEM-brook
Stoughton, MA - STOAT-in
Billerica, MA - Bill-RICK-ah
Damariscotta, ME - Dam-riss-SCAW-duh
Bangor, ME - BANG-gore or BANG-gaw
Bar Harbor, ME - appropriately pronounced "Bah HAH-bah"

There's also a little town near where I live in NH called Sanbornton, which is correctly pronounced "SAN-buh-tin"

Of course, some times it's a little trickier. For example the suffix -ham, which takes on a different pronunciation depending on what town you're talking about (in Massachusetts alone!). For example:

Needham, MA - NEED-um
Framingham, MA - FRAY-ming-ham

In fact, when the ending is 'tham', this suffix can be pronounced in four different ways:

Eastham, MA - EAST-ham
Chatham, MA - CHAD-um
Waltham, MA - WALL-tham
Wrentham, MA - REN-thum

Excellent guide to New England pronunciations! I quizzed myself and did pretty well though a few I messed up! haha. I have extended family in Bill-RICK-ah and Chelms-fid, and also in parts of New Hampsha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittnurse70 View Post
Norfolk, Nebraska: Pronounced NOR fork by Nebraskans. I had to show my DH on a map, that the spelling was Nor FOLK, not nor FORK.
That's odd because I hear the Virginia Norfolk pronounced so differently. NAW-F*ck. Drives me nuts when I'm on the Newark City Subway here in NJ and the automated announcement comes, "Next stop, Nor-Follllllk Street." It makes this Virginia native shudder! haha. I hear people in New England say Nor-Fork and fam in the Philadelphia area say Nor-Foke (rhymes with coke). Complete with the unique Philadelphian way of pronouncing long "O" sounds, it comes off pretty strange/funny to me.

Edit: Oh, I see Ben Around's reply mentioning the VA pronunciation already. Oops!

Old 12-07-2007, 09:10 AM

739 posts, read 2,185,750 times
Hoping to expand on the phonetics above...we usually say Woos-tuh not Wuss-tuh.

The main thing is that Worcester is not pronounced Wore-chester. Every time I hear that I crack up.

Old 12-07-2007, 10:16 AM

129 posts, read 460,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drouzin View Post
Just PLEASE what ever ya'll do, don't say, "Naw'lins!" The only person who should be allowed to use that pronunciation is Frank Davis.
Hmm. The Cajun fella I used to work with (nickname, "Cajun") always said N'awlins. (The apostrophe stands for the dropped letters, which is also why it's "y'all," y'all.)

Old 12-07-2007, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
That's odd because I hear the Virginia Norfolk pronounced so differently. NAW-F*ck. Drives me nuts when I'm on the Newark City Subway here in NJ and the automated announcement comes, "Next stop, Nor-Follllllk Street." It makes this Virginia native shudder! haha. I hear people in New England say Nor-Fork and fam in the Philadelphia area say Nor-Foke (rhymes with coke). Complete with the unique Philadelphian way of pronouncing long "O" sounds, it comes off pretty strange/funny to me.
But that's all okay, because these people are all referring to different places.

I'd describe the most common Virginia pronounciation a little differently. Naw-fulk, but with the "L" sound partially swallowed. It's muddled though, because there are so many military people there from other parts of the country, where they say their Norfolks differently.

Last edited by spark240; 12-07-2007 at 10:47 AM..

Old 12-07-2007, 10:40 AM

Taneytown, Maryland.

It's not Tain-ee town as Yankees would expect, nor does it conform with the Southern phoneme which would make it Tinny town.

In Maryland it's Taw-nee town.

I trust that Balmer, Murlin, home of the Orr-yoles, has already been covered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.