Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2012, 10:32 AM

4,970 posts, read 6,266,803 times

Advertisements

The city of Des Plaines, a suburb of Chicago, is not pronounced like Des Moines. It's pronounced just like it looks, with the 's' in both words pronounced. So it's Dez Plaines (like a plural form of plane).

Kearney, Nebraska is pronounced like carny.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2012, 10:39 AM

932 posts, read 1,944,511 times
It's frustrating the way tourists pronounce Ephrata or Gouglersville or Mohnton in PA. They are constantly adding extra letters and syllables that don't make any sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
As I recall, all the cities named Berlin in the US were originally pronounced as in Germany, but during World War Two, the local people changed the accent to the first syllable, to avert the natural association with the enemy. Once it was done, it stayed that way, with nobody feeling a compelling need to change it back.
Good on you for being able to use a computer and read a monitor at your age.

Old 11-09-2012, 10:59 AM

1,572 posts, read 1,560,508 times
I've always heard New Hampshire's Berlin pronounced the same way as it is here in Connecticut. I think New Jersey's is pronounced likes ours as well.

What really irritates me is when an out-of-stater will stress Yale University's home city as NEW Haven, like they were comparing it to an Old Haven somehow.

Old 11-09-2012, 12:00 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,048,781 times
for the one-millionth time people, Zzyzx, California is pronounced just the way it's spelled ... zAY - zehks.... idiots!

Old 11-09-2012, 08:11 PM

1,629 posts, read 2,628,471 times
Ely, NV (e-lee not e-lie).
Winnemucca, NV (winna-mucka)
Nevada - (ne-VADD-uh)
Buena Vista, CO (B-yoona Vista)
Del Norte, CO (Del Nort)
Canon City, CO (Canyon City)

and my favorite..

Taliaferro County, GA (Tolliver). Don't know how that one works.

Old 11-09-2012, 10:15 PM

143 posts, read 265,566 times
Some from Texas...

Waxahacie - pronounced Walks-uh-hatchee. This one can be quite a big deal.
Blanco - Americanized pronunciation, Blane-co
Iraan - Ira-Ann, not like the country
Bexar County - Spanish X, pronounced Bayer (not Bear), the nuance just gets blended in speech but its there.
Pecos - Pae-kes

Old 11-11-2012, 08:15 AM

2,226 posts, read 3,855,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Which pronunciations do you think are funny, and which are not? If you're talking about the one at Conway, Arkansas, as far as I know they pronounce the same as William Faulkner.
I was talking about the one in Virginia. They say it similar to, "*** ya county."

Old 01-23-2013, 10:24 AM

8 posts, read 10,928 times
I keep seeing people say that Oregon is pronounced organ, but it isn't. Unless, I suppose, one is speaking really quickly.

The best way I can think of to describe it is or uh gin or maybe or ee gin depending on how much the speaker is emphasizing the pronunciation.

I'm from Aloha, Oregon which is pronounced uh loh uh, or uh gin.

My parents were both born and raised in Ely, Nevada (ee lee, ne va duh).

Old 01-23-2013, 06:57 PM

1,442 posts, read 1,938,961 times
Helena, Montana.

Correct statewide/regional pronounciation: "Hel-in-uh."
Common mispronunciation: "Hel-ay-nuh."

I get it, though--such pronounication isn't actually incorrect, and the latter seems to be the dominant literary pronounication.

But it's probably the most common way in which an out-of-stater unwittingly identifies themself ("hi there, what's the best way to get to Helayna?"), save for a non-regional accent or cowboy fab apparel...

Old 01-23-2013, 07:26 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,898,942 times
I know many of you may not think so but there are people out there who both misspell and mispronounce my home town of Fort Worth. Instead of what it is, they'll add another 'h'.

Forth Worth...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.