Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2016, 05:34 PM

1 posts, read 1,159 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweden View Post
I have a problem with Annapolis (I studder when I say that, I never studder otherwise) right now. I hope to find a solution to it sometime soon.

But, how do you pronounce Oregon?
I always thought it was pronounced Or-E-gon, and everyone here pronounces it that way, but then I visited Alaska, and everyone said "Or-gon". So, I don't know anymore...

When you say Ore-gon, does that mean that one pronounces the e?

(Yes, this has been a truly confusing "word" for me for quite some time now...)
A lot of people who don't live on the west coast pronounce Oregon like or-gOn and or-E-gOn, but it is actually pronounced like or-E-gun, or or-E-gen (with a hard g).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2016, 07:02 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,089,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woolfie5 View Post
A lot of people who don't live on the west coast pronounce Oregon like or-gOn and or-E-gOn, but it is actually pronounced like or-E-gun, or or-E-gen (with a hard g).
I think most people pronounce Oregon correctly as in "Or-ih-gihn", but the popular 80s/90s computer game "The Ore-uh-gone Trail". It sounds weird and wrong to call it "The Or-ih-gihn Trail" for some reason.

Old 03-16-2016, 08:04 PM

3,314 posts, read 2,215,404 times
Eau Claire, WI Wausau, WI, Couer d' Alene, ID

Old 03-17-2016, 10:59 PM

160 posts, read 233,170 times
I grew up in Bemidji (Beh-midge-ee), Minnesota- a lot of people have no clue how to say that right even though it's pretty simple.

Buda, TX - it's pronounced Bee-ooda(like beautiful) by locals, but for sure it was originally intended to be pronounced boo da like in Spanish. Funny thing, buda, in my husband's language is slang for the toilet.

Old 07-13-2016, 12:10 PM

28 posts, read 40,881 times
Any town called Greenwich. It's pronounced "Gren-idge", but I hear a lot of people say "Green-witch".

Old 07-13-2016, 06:10 PM

2,304 posts, read 2,961,788 times
Nevada
Lima, Ohio
Cairo, Illinois
Oregon
Amherst, Mass
St. Louis, Mo.
New Orleans, La
Helena, Mt
Worcester, MA

Old 07-15-2016, 09:37 PM

2 posts, read 1,334 times
Lived in the PNW for most of my life:
Oregon or-gin, lots of people pronounce it ory-gun or something similar.
Puyallup, Washington pew-al-UP, hard for many people to pronounce
Sequim, Washington squim, lots pronounce this wrong
Issaquah, Washington is-saw-quah, apparently some people don't pronounce this right?

Old 07-15-2016, 09:53 PM

2,753 posts, read 3,311,589 times
There's a town in Connecticut called Mianus. If I got a nickel for every time I heard people pronounce it MY-ANUS, I'd be retired by now. It's pronounced MYA-NINCE. As someone who's almost 56 I still smile when I see the sign "You are now apart of Mianus" as a welcoming sign when I drive through. Still have that teenage humor in me I suppose :rolls eyes:

Old 07-15-2016, 10:19 PM

486 posts, read 601,584 times
Erie, PA

Supposed to be pronounced ear-ree, but I've heard Eee-ree, Air-ee, and the god-awful "ERRR-rie".

Old 07-15-2016, 11:02 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,700,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petroglyphin View Post
Nothing makes you sound more like an idiot than pronouncing the 's' in 'Illinois'
Or pronouncing Arkansas as Are-Kansas
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.