Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2014, 12:20 PM

1,565 posts, read 2,450,640 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by waviking24 View Post
No it's not overrated or underrated. It's pretty cut and dry actually: unless you are up on a mountain a lot, then winter sucks and summer is amazing.

I actually kind of like being able to wear a hoody and jeans anywhere I go. Even at my job and I'm in an office setting.
When I lived in Seattle I always thought the Summers sucked, but the winters weren't that bad. I absolutely despised wearing a hoodie in July, and never being able to be in the water without a wet suit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2014, 12:42 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,460,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redfish1 View Post
When I lived in Seattle I always thought the Summers sucked, but the winters weren't that bad. I absolutely despised wearing a hoodie in July, and never being able to be in the water without a wet suit.
Hoodie in July? What are you talking about? The last few summers here have been extremely dry and the temperature rarely dipped under 70. What's not to like about our summers? The difference is most of the country is too hot over the summer being about to hit triple digits. If that's the weather you like then yeah the northwest may not be your thing. But with that said the summers are really the only praise the weather gets here. Most people say its too wet, and too grey, that actually being a huge turn off for a lot. The good summers and like of extreme cold is what draws people unless they like grey skies and rain like I do. Just depends on the individual.

Old 01-02-2014, 12:43 PM

1,660 posts, read 2,533,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redfish1 View Post
Hoodie in July? I wear tank tops in July.

Old 01-02-2014, 12:50 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,519,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waviking24 View Post
Hoodie in July? I wear tank tops in July.
Yeah, it's not the chilly in July... Even in milder years it's in the 70s or upper 60s. The average high in Seattle in July is about 75.

Old 01-02-2014, 02:33 PM

2,096 posts, read 4,775,232 times
Corvallis has had a mean high of 85 degrees over the past couple decades. That's not what I'd call a "cool summer"! In fact it's warmer than some areas of LA.

Old 01-02-2014, 02:41 PM

604 posts, read 1,521,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belmont22 View Post
Corvallis has had a mean high of 85 degrees over the past couple decades. That's not what I'd call a "cool summer"! In fact it's warmer than some areas of LA.
Corvallis is quite a bit warmer in the summer than most of the coastal locations in WA, OR, and BC. Mostly which average highs in the upper 60s to mid 70s during the summer.

Average July high in Seattle is about 75 F., and 74 F. in Vancouver, 72 in Forks, and 79 in Portland, with very little humidity.

Much more comfortable than the rest of the lower 48.

Old 01-02-2014, 04:29 PM

2,096 posts, read 4,775,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skihikeclimb View Post
Corvallis is quite a bit warmer in the summer than most of the coastal locations in WA, OR, and BC. Mostly which average highs in the upper 60s to mid 70s during the summer.

Average July high in Seattle is about 75 F., and 74 F. in Vancouver, 72 in Forks, and 79 in Portland, with very little humidity.

Much more comfortable than the rest of the lower 48.
Very little humidity is probably an overstatement. Summer here would seem dry to someone from the east, certainly, but dewpoints can exceed 60F on some summer days. And nights aren't always cool either. Sometimes it doesn't get any cooler than 65 overnight.

I think what makes summer here seem surprisingly hot is that the houses are not insulated for it. July, August and some of September are the only really hot months so perhaps home builders don't consider it worth it to insulate homes much. AC is pretty rare too since there is a perception that we have cool summers, so when it is hot you kinda just have to deal with it.

Old 01-02-2014, 04:43 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,142,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
Who the really rates the weather that highly? Even people who've never been to the Northwest complain about the weather. It's well known that there's a lot of gray coastal weather and rain west of the Cascades--it's part of the dominant stereotype of the region. Look at how many threads on the Oregon and Washington forums are from people asking "How bad is the weather, really?" prior to making a move...
We just had out of town visitors, and they complained about the lack of gray coastal weather. It was sunny for their entire visit.

Just didn't live up to the stereotype.

Old 01-02-2014, 05:13 PM

202 posts, read 320,093 times
Yeah I think so I made a thread a few weeks ago about the most overrated place on here and my vote was definitely for the pnw people act like it's the only place in the world that has its qualities

Old 01-02-2014, 05:15 PM

604 posts, read 1,521,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belmont22 View Post
Very little humidity is probably an overstatement. Summer here would seem dry to someone from the east, certainly, but dewpoints can exceed 60F on some summer days. And nights aren't always cool either. Sometimes it doesn't get any cooler than 65 overnight.

I think what makes summer here seem surprisingly hot is that the houses are not insulated for it. July, August and some of September are the only really hot months so perhaps home builders don't consider it worth it to insulate homes much. AC is pretty rare too since there is a perception that we have cool summers, so when it is hot you kinda just have to deal with it.
The key word is "can" exceed, but very rarely.

Generally dew points along the coastal areas of WA and OR are in the mid 50s during summer. Places further inland (intermountain west), have DP in the 40s. So yes if you are coming from a place like Boise, or SLC it may seem more humid, but those places are generally hotter in the summer. DP along the NW coast are low compared to most points east of the Rockies.

For instance dew points in the midwest and east coast easily get into the 70s during the Summer months. Big difference in terms of feel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.