U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-02-2014, 10:34 AM
 
134 posts, read 168,674 times
Reputation: 204

Advertisements

There was a nationwide decline in homicides in cities across the U.S. for 2013. Here are the raw numbers and rates for a few cities around the country and how much they've decreased or increased by. Feel free to add on if you have more info or corrections to any of these numbers.

Homicides/ Rate/ Change from 2012

New York City..............333.................3.9......... .......-20%
Chicago......................415.................. 15..............-16%
Philadelphia.................247.................. 16..............-25.6%
Richmond, VA...............37..................17.6......... ......-12%
Providence, RI..............13...................7.1.......... .....-23%
Boston........................40.................. .6.2...............-31%
Flint............................52............... ....52................-20%
Detroit........................332................ ..47.4.............-13.5%
Oakland.......................92.................. .23.6.............-29.8%
New Orleans................155...................42... ............-21.7%
St. Louis.....................108...................34 ...............-3%
Cleveland.....................84.................. .23.6.............-10.3%
Indianapolis..................142................. .16.8.............-26.7%
Buffalo.........................47................ ...18................-1.2%
Camden........................57.................. .43.7.............-15%
Newark........................111................. .39.7.............+7%
Baltimore......................235................ ..37.9.............+7.3%
Washington DC..............103..................15.9......... ....+17%

Note: Washington D.C.'s increase is mainly due to the Navy Yard Rampage in which 12 people were shot and killed.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-02-2014, 01:33 PM
 
1,513 posts, read 2,157,276 times
Reputation: 1259
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronG1221 View Post
Note: Washington D.C.'s increase is mainly due to the Navy Yard Rampage in which 12 people were shot and killed.
I don't think the FBI will count those anyways. The FBI didn't record the killings in Newtown for 2012.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-02-2014, 01:42 PM
 
1,017 posts, read 2,345,829 times
Reputation: 736
Pretty soon we're going to be as safe as Japan.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-02-2014, 02:05 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned
 
Location: Western Massachusetts
46,080 posts, read 49,093,328 times
Reputation: 15091
Estimate murder rate by race of victim (per 100k) for NYC:

White non-hispanic: 1.1
Hispanic: 3.4
Black: 9.7
Asian: 1.5
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-02-2014, 06:26 PM
 
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
6,324 posts, read 8,442,789 times
Reputation: 4007
Wow I thought Indianapolis was safer than that.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-02-2014, 06:34 PM
 
Location: Cleveland
3,325 posts, read 4,579,157 times
Reputation: 2784
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronG1221 View Post
There was a nationwide decline in homicides in cities across the U.S. for 2013. Here are the raw numbers and rates for a few cities around the country and how much they've decreased or increased by. Feel free to add on if you have more info or corrections to any of these numbers.

Homicides/ Rate/ Change from 2012

New York City..............333.................3.9......... .......-20%
Chicago......................415.................. 15..............-16%
Philadelphia.................247.................. 16..............-25.6%
Richmond, VA...............37..................17.6......... ......-12%
Providence, RI..............13...................7.1.......... .....-23%
Boston........................40.................. .6.2...............-31%
Flint............................52............... ....52................-20%
Detroit........................332................ ..47.4.............-13.5%
Oakland.......................92.................. .23.6.............-29.8%
New Orleans................155...................42... ............-21.7%
St. Louis.....................108...................34 ...............-3%
Cleveland.....................84.................. .23.6.............-10.3%
Indianapolis..................142................. .16.8.............-26.7%
Buffalo.........................47................ ...18................-1.2%
Camden........................57.................. .43.7.............-15%
Newark........................111................. .39.7.............+7%
Baltimore......................235................ ..37.9.............+7.3%
Washington DC..............103..................15.9......... ....+17%

Note: Washington D.C.'s increase is mainly due to the Navy Yard Rampage in which 12 people were shot and killed.
I think the conclusion to be drawn here is that heroin is a more mellow drug than crack.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-02-2014, 06:35 PM
 
Location: Seattle, WA
2,982 posts, read 4,479,453 times
Reputation: 3386
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Estimate murder rate by race of victim (per 100k) for NYC:

White non-hispanic: 1.1
Hispanic: 3.4
Black: 9.7
Asian: 1.5
I wonder when this trend will change? Analysts say this trend is caused by disparities of income within black households as well as the high percentage of children in black families being raised by a single parent. I figure that once this trend changes, the US will be remarkably low in crime.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-02-2014, 06:49 PM
 
Location: Edmonds, WA
8,711 posts, read 8,817,608 times
Reputation: 13479
I noticed that these are almost all Midwest/Northeast Cities. I'd be interested to see the stats from some more of the Sunbelt cities, several of which have suffered from high homicide rates in recent years.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-02-2014, 07:02 PM
 
Location: Edmonds, WA
8,711 posts, read 8,817,608 times
Reputation: 13479
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatsbyGatz View Post
I wonder when this trend will change? Analysts say this trend is caused by disparities of income within black households as well as the high percentage of children in black families being raised by a single parent. I figure that once this trend changes, the US will be remarkably low in crime.
Well there's the gang factor as well... though maybe that's tied in to what you are saying in a more attenuated way. But I know that in many cities across the US homicides are quite often gang-related.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-02-2014, 07:10 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned
 
Location: Western Massachusetts
46,080 posts, read 49,093,328 times
Reputation: 15091
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
Well there's the gang factor as well... though maybe that's tied in to what you are saying in a more attenuated way. But I know that in many cities across the US homicides are quite often gang-related.
I think NYC has less of a gang issue than most big cities, at least organized ones. A good portion of the black murders are from petty personal disputes by defensive idiots with guns. 2011 report lists the most common cause as dispute/revenge 38%, then drug 12%. Gang is well down the list but the first two could be gang related at the same time (?)

http://www.nyc.gov/html/nypd/downloa...der_in_nyc.pdf
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
>
Powered by Foreclosure.com
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:39 PM.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top