Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2014, 03:38 PM

525 posts, read 508,406 times

Advertisements

Preface: I work with a guy from Raleigh that isn't southern in the slightest. He doesn't speak with a southern accent, he doesn't enjoy "southern" things, he doesn't like being associated with The South. He grew up in NC and his family is replete with North Carolinians from way back. He claims that in the next decades that no one will consider NC or VA to be apart of the South, only the buffer zone to the deep south.

I personally always thought that VA and NC were apart of the south. I know that both areas have large cities that are full of workers that have migrated from other areas, but so does NYC, Boston, and Philadelphia...that doesn't make them any less Northeastern.

So...I thought I would throw it on here and see what everyone says...because for some reason on this board we seem to LOVE discussing the south.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2014, 03:48 PM

7,330 posts, read 15,380,121 times
Regional distinctions mean less and less. That's true everywhere. Whether you're from Raleigh or Buffalo or Phoenix, you are exposed to a lot of the same entertainment, news, music, etc., and people are far more mobile than they were 50 years ago. So yeah, NC and VA are less southern than they used to be, but I've also eaten NC bbq in NYC and listened to bluegrass in Seattle. You know? Now, that's more the case in bigger towns and cities. Go to some sections of NC away from Raleigh, Charlotte, etc. and you'll see folks that are about as southern as anyone on the planet. Still, changing technology and settlement patterns means we're all homogenizing a little bit.

Having said that, there are lots of southerners who aren't "southern" as you interpret them. My family is mostly from SC and GA, so hardly "buffer zone", and many relatives of mine don't hunt or eat boiled peanuts (blasphemy) or do lots of those things that are considered "southern". It's a more varied and heterogeneous region that most people give it credit for. Interesting blog on the topic here: The South: Non-practising versus true Southerners | The Economist

Old 01-02-2014, 04:03 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,948,920 times
It sounds like the person you work with has a personal problem. NC and Virginia are Southern states and will always be southern states. people moving in from elsewhere does not change that. Your fellow worker is just an ignorant person. perhaps you can explain what being southern really means?

Old 01-02-2014, 04:05 PM

1,264 posts, read 1,551,471 times
It seems like Hampton Roads, RVA, And NOVA are all becoming more and more northeastern, however the backwards southern tip is a different story (I have heard accents that sound like they might as well be from South Mississippi (if it existed))

Old 01-02-2014, 04:21 PM

5,546 posts, read 6,868,827 times
I think it's funny that CD threads always talk about what's south and what isn't. If people are gauging being "southern" as the historical cultural and political designation from 1860, that's gone. The south is developing into an increasingly stronger economic force, and therefore, culture is bound to change; rural communities will continue to move slower and friendlier than large economic-bound cities (that's not to say there are no differences between them, but it is different from what they were in the past).

My thought is that VA and NC are southern geographically, and are changing alongside every other place in the world. That's why the Whig party is no longer in full swing in the north, and why Mexicans occupy a portion of the Italian market in South Philly (for example).

Old 01-02-2014, 04:31 PM

2,096 posts, read 4,773,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
Regional distinctions mean less and less. That's true everywhere. Whether you're from Raleigh or Buffalo or Phoenix, you are exposed to a lot of the same entertainment, news, music, etc., and people are far more mobile than they were 50 years ago. So yeah, NC and VA are less southern than they used to be, but I've also eaten NC bbq in NYC and listened to bluegrass in Seattle. You
Actually I heard that interstate moves are at the lowest they've been since the 1960s.

Old 01-02-2014, 11:07 PM

10,206 posts, read 15,910,503 times
Virginia is becoming less southern due to the transplanted liberal elite and illegal immigrants in Northern Virginia. Politically is it not as southern as it used to be with Obama winning both times and a Democrat winning the governor now despite that candidate's support for abortion and illegal immigration and his war on coal.

For me, personally, you cannot be a real, true Southerner and be liberal. And I consider anyone to the left of Bill Clinton to be liberal. Obama is extremely liberal.

Old 01-03-2014, 12:38 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Virginia is becoming less southern due to the transplanted liberal elite and illegal immigrants in Northern Virginia. Politically is it not as southern as it used to be with Obama winning both times and a Democrat winning the governor now despite that candidate's support for abortion and illegal immigration and his war on coal.

For me, personally, you cannot be a real, true Southerner and be liberal. And I consider anyone to the left of Bill Clinton to be liberal. Obama is extremely liberal.
That's an extremely ignorant position to take, but I'm not surprised.

Old 01-03-2014, 07:39 AM

320 posts, read 578,103 times
Is New York less of a northern state because of all of its immigrants? Probably not. Some southerners talk to transplants without their southern accent so they can understand them. Many transplants live in bubble communities within southern cities. In their world they are not in the south.

Old 01-03-2014, 08:45 AM

14,352 posts, read 17,012,289 times
This whole "is such and such place not southern" thing is getting tiresome. First It was Maryland and most of Florida which were no longer considered Southern. Now it's Virginia and North Carolina. In another 10-15 years, it will be Texas and Georgia. The south is a geographic portion of the country. It doesn't matter what accent people have, how they vote, or if they immigrated from somewhere else, because none of it is adjacent to Minnesota.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
I suppose black people can't be southerners then?

FWIW, I don't see any difference in how Bill Clinton governed and Obama. Clinton's healthcare plan was considerably to the left of Obamacare. Obamacare is actually modeled off of what Republicans offered in response to Clinton's health care plan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.