Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best Province in Canada
Alberta 2 3.77%
British Colombia 20 37.74%
Manitoba 0 0%
New Brunswick 1 1.89%
Newfoundland 0 0%
Northwest Territories 1 1.89%
Nunavut 0 0%
Ontario 10 18.87%
Prince Edward Island 1 1.89%
Quebec 12 22.64%
Saskatchewan 2 3.77%
Yukon 1 1.89%
Nova Scotia 3 5.66%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2014, 10:37 AM

10,749 posts, read 23,813,296 times

Advertisements

-Best scenery: BC takes this easily. One of the most beautiful and serene places I've ever seen anywhere was watching the big waves pound the shores of Pacific Rim National Park on Vancouver Island. I love the Tofino, BC area with the dense evergreen rainforests and mountains meeting the ocean, the kind of beauty that puts you in a trance. BC has an abundance of good scenery all over the province

I would like to check out ore of the Atlantic Provinces though, especially Newfoundland and I'd really enjoy bike riding all over Prince Edward Island.

-Province with best cities/urban areas: Definitely Quebec, no better match for me than Montreal and Quebec City, both are intriguing and charming and offer a different ambiance than anywhere found in the US. I like Vancouver, but mostly for its setting. The urban fabric and neighborhoods of Montreal are a lot of impressive to me.

-Food: Nova Scotia only because seafood is my favorite which BC also does pretty well, but give me a lobster and some clams, and PEI potatoes eating in the "ruff" on the rocky shores of NS and I'm a very happy guy. The diversity of international food in Toronto is great, as are the culinary offerings in Quebec.

-Character and people: So far from my experience I'd say Quebec because of their French Canadian customs, and I've found with a little effort in speaking French can go a long way with warm embrace in Quebec, especially in Quebec City. I'm curious about Newfoundland though, they seem to have a lot of character and charm up there.

-Cultural elements: Quebec, lots of festivals, celebrations, and history.

-Infrastructure: Definitely Ontario. Quebec and Ontario are really the only provinces that have a freeway system that is on par with the US interstate system, and Toronto is growing very rapidly. Most Canadian major cities have excellent and extensive mass transit/light rail/subway systems. Montreal has the best subway system.

-Economy: Ontario is the obvious answer, though Alberta has a robust economy based on energy right now.

-Overall Favorite: Definitely Quebec, though I really want to visit Newfoundland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2014, 10:46 AM

Location: The Netherlands, Israel, Italy, Chicagoland, Alberta Canada
99 posts, read 163,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
-
-Economy: Ontario is the obvious answer, though Alberta has a robust economy based on energy right now.
I don't agree with this.
We live in Northern AB right now for work. I can tell you that there are a ton of people from the East coast, especially from ON that are here to work in the oil fields. I work with them and talk to them daily, they all say the economy is dead on the east coast, including ON.

Most license plates that you see around now are from either coast. SK is also on it's way to improve its economy (it has more oil than AB) and is actually doing very well. It's way behind AB though.

On top of that a lot of Americans like me are working here. A lot of them even get their flights home reimbursed if they are here on a shift rotation. So do all the workers from the East coast. Most of them work here but go home for their days off.

Old 01-04-2014, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRock View Post
I don't agree with this.
We live in Northern AB right now for work. I can tell you that there are a ton of people from the East coast, especially from ON that are here to work in the oil fields. I work with them and talk to them daily, they all say the economy is dead on the east coast, including ON.

Most license plates that you see around now are from either coast. SK is also on it's way to improve its economy (it has more oil than AB) and is actually doing very well. It's way behind AB though.

On top of that a lot of Americans like me are working here. A lot of them even get their flights home reimbursed if they are here on a shift rotation. So do all the workers from the East coast. Most of them work here but go home for their days off.
So what is it that you disagree with? You pointed out that many are migrating to Alberta from the East Coast for work, East Coast I'd assume being Newf/NS/PEI/NB and maybe Quebec. I know there is a big energy boom (subject to cyclical conditions) in Alberta with the Oil Sands. I'd imagine Ontario would still be on top with a more diverse economy, banking in Toronto, and the capital in Ottawa, plus the overall dominance Ontario with its population. Just a brief visit to Toronto or Ottawa would surely imply that the economy is not "dead".

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 01-04-2014 at 11:04 AM..

Old 01-04-2014, 11:01 AM

I just don't agree with the fact that the economy is good at the moment in ON. It's very difficult to get a job there now and wages are low.

I certainly agree with you that ON is a more diverse place. Population is also for sure a lot higher.

I would move there if they had jobs....oh wait, no my plan is to move back to the US, preferable where its warm. -40F is something that I will NEVER get used to. But that's another story...

Old 01-04-2014, 11:04 AM

Ok you do make a point though for overall provincial unemployment rates.
September, 2013 reported Ontario at 7.3% and Alberta at 4.3%.
List of Canadian provinces by unemployment rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I can imagine some post industrial cities in Ontario outside of Toronto may mirror some US rustbelt cities.

Old 01-04-2014, 11:14 AM

Yes I've been reading about those numbers. The discussion is also that the unemployment rate in the Eastern provinces is most likely in reality even higher. Like I mentioned there are a lot of people working here in the oil patch. Mostly men but many of them leave their family out east. They do officially live in their home province though and are counted as employed. Just not in that province. It's also financially more advantageous for them because housing, groceries etc are very expensive here and much cheaper on the east coast.

Sorry for the thread hi-jack, I guess this is off topic...

Old 01-04-2014, 06:00 PM

1,485 posts, read 2,251,837 times
Best scenery: Yukon (I know, I know, it's a territory and not a province). BC isn't far behind.
Province with best cities/urban areas: Ontario
Food: Vancouver. Great Asian cuisine and seafood.
Character and people: Quebec. Quebecois are quick to point out that they're never just Canadian, but French Canadian. Very different folks than most of the rest of Canada.
Cultural elements: Quebec, by far
Infrastructure: Ontario
Economy: Alberta

Old 01-04-2014, 10:00 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,460,459 times
Ive only been to BC (Being from Washington state) so thats all I know. But even with that Victoria, Canada is truly an awesome place to visit! I think you should visit Victoria before Vancouver if you had to pick one or the other!

Old 01-04-2014, 10:23 PM

312 posts, read 494,259 times
British Columbia.

Wild, wild, West coast
These are the girls I love the most

British Columbia girls, they're undeniable
Fine, fresh, fierce, they got it on lock
West coast represent, now put your hands up

Old 01-05-2014, 05:42 AM

2,096 posts, read 4,775,232 times
I'd say Ontario actually, though it's close between it and BC. I've been to Toronto and loved it, and I like how close to the eastern US and Quebec Ontario is.

I think for culture though Quebec and Newfoundland are the most interesting and unique.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.