Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2014, 07:59 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,949,724 times

Advertisements

I am just curious if there is any single statistic out there (other than crime rate) that sort of reveals how desirable, safe and clean a place is. The best one that I could think of is median household income. It's actually very telling of the overall economic condition and quality of the community. However, I think it's flawed.

For example, if we compare a somewhat gritty city such as Norwalk, CT to a pretty nice city such as Plantation, FL, we get unexpected results. The median household income of Norwalk is about $75K. In Plantation, it is about $66K. But I have been to both cities, and honestly, Plantation seems much cleaner, safer and nicer. Norwalk seems to be somewhat run-down and gritty in many areas, yet the income levels are higher.

Property value statistics are meaningless, too. For example, Bridgeport, CT has median home values of about $250K, but it's a major crap-hole. And then, numerous nice towns in Florida or other areas of CT have median home values of like $150K or $200K and they are much nicer.

I don't know. What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2014, 08:02 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,990,431 times
I agree that median household income is a good way to tell (I also agree that it's flawed in that sense you mentioned and maybe more), but no I don't think there's a better method. It's safe to assume that wealthier places (especially if they're suburban towns near a major city) will be cleaner and nicer than, say, a bigger city, but may not always be the case.

Maybe quality of life?

Old 01-04-2014, 01:51 AM

93,326 posts, read 123,972,828 times
It also depends on the make up of the community and the overall COL. Norwalk is more like a stand alone city versus Plantation, which is standard suburbia. So, even the comparison may not be of similar communities.

Old 01-04-2014, 07:25 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Yes. It is a scale based on how much I like a place. Where I use actual statistics, they are weighted according to how important I think they are in my lifestyle. Just ask me if a place is nice or not, and I'll tell you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.