Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 05:09 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,500,362 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifat View Post
It really isn't. It was -20ºF when I walked out to my car this morning. If there's no wind, it feels the exact same as any other temperature below freezing. My body did not freeze instantly and shatter into a million pieces all over the street. My car started without a problem and I made my routine commute to work just like any other day.

The only real danger in this kind of cold is for homeless people who don't have sufficient clothing for warmth and/or aren't aware of shelters available. Otherwise, everyone else is indoors or has the right gear to stay warm.
Idk why its hard for so many northerners to understand (and yes i am a northerner too) but not everyone is used to the frigid cold temps you get up north.... do you really think everyone in the country has the same winters as in Minnesota?

Old 01-06-2014, 05:15 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Idk why its hard for so many northerners to understand (and yes i am a northerner too) but not everyone is used to the frigid cold temps you get up north.... do you really think everyone in the country has the same winters as in Minnesota?
True dat.

On another thread we were talking about the extreme cold and a guy posted a picture of himself in his winter gear, going to the store or something. Thing is, we don't even SELL winter gear like that around here! You'd be very hard pressed to find any gloves other than thin leather ones or gloves made of rather thin synthetic materials. I don't recall the last time I saw a down filled jacket for sale anywhere! We don't have snow chains or even ice scrapers a lot of times for our cars! So this sort of weather throws us for a loop - I freely admit it. Twenty degrees with a windchill of 9 just about gives us a case of hypothermia just thinking about it.

My parents' electricity went out and they don't even have a fireplace or anything like that. They don't even have a gas stove! They were huddled up underneath down filled comforters while I was fretting four hours away, begging them to go to a hotel - but the hotels were all full with other people in the same boat!

However, we have certain advantages at other times of the year. We went to the beach with some friends from Michigan and one of the poor guys got heat exhaustion - I mean pretty severely. And the temps were only in the 90s. I guess he just wasn't acclimated to our climate.

Old 01-06-2014, 05:16 PM

1,943 posts, read 3,338,472 times
Left my gloves at home, and had to get some gas. FYI** never pump gas without gloves in below freezing weather. My hands were frozen in 2mins.

Old 01-06-2014, 05:19 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theother View Post
Left my gloves at home, and had to get some gas. FYI** never pump gas without gloves in below freezing weather. My hands were frozen in 2mins.
Right on - yesterday as the temps started to drop into the twenties, I remembered that I had a faucet out in the flower beds that I hadn't covered. I went out there in that northerly wind with my bare hands trying to cover that cold metal faucet and pipe and thought to myself, "This sucks!" My fingers were like little brittle ice slivers by the time I came inside!

My black lab doesn't seem the least bit disturbed by it though.

Old 01-06-2014, 05:23 PM

1,943 posts, read 3,338,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Right on - yesterday as the temps started to drop into the twenties, I remembered that I had a faucet out in the flower beds that I hadn't covered. I went out there in that northerly wind with my bare hands trying to cover that cold metal faucet and pipe and thought to myself, "This sucks!" My fingers were like little brittle ice slivers by the time I came inside!

My black lab doesn't seem the least bit disturbed by it though.

Lol at least you were home I would of put some on!

Old 01-06-2014, 05:27 PM

13,354 posts, read 39,963,688 times
There are already a couple of threads in the Weather forum dealing with this topic, and that's where this topic belongs. Please go there to continue this discussion.

//www.city-data.com/forum/weather/

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.