Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2014, 09:15 PM

1 posts, read 1,006 times

Advertisements

hey so I'm about to finish college and I'm looking for a city to establish myself for a long time and start working in the events or sports industry, Im studying Hospitality Management. But there are several things that I'm looking into that city:
1. There are job openings on my industry.
2. Sports city: I love sports so basically I would love a city with all 4 major sports (MLS if it can) and with loyal fans, I want to start rooting for a team not for their success, instead I wanna love them despite they lose and I wanna feel that passion around the city.
3. Weed-friendly: Yes, Im not a pothead but usually like to hit it.
4. Ideal for hiking and if possible near the beach, if it aint thats fine.
5. Safe and with a sufficient public transportation.

So what are your opinions about it?

Thank you for your time, I really appreciate it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2014, 11:03 PM

1,704 posts, read 3,441,956 times
Well the cities with all four major sports plus MLS are Boston, Chicago, Dallas, Denver, New York, Philly, San Francisco, and DC. Miami and Minneapolis are also likely candidates for future MLS expansion.

With that in mind, I would say Denver is the easy winner.

Old 01-07-2014, 12:27 AM

7,777 posts, read 10,158,094 times
With the caveat that I have no idea how easy it is to get a job in your industry anywhere in the country, I'd say every city on steel's list meets most of your criteria. You can't really go wrong.

But the cities that jump out to me are LA, Denver, Miami, Houston, Atlanta and Seattle.

Old 01-07-2014, 12:52 AM

2,985 posts, read 4,883,900 times
San Bernardino. It's the hidden gem of Southern California.

Old 01-07-2014, 03:41 AM

10,644 posts, read 16,025,322 times

Old 01-07-2014, 07:38 AM

27,196 posts, read 43,896,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pxsm92 View Post
hey so I'm about to finish college and I'm looking for a city to establish myself for a long time and start working in the events or sports industry, Im studying Hospitality Management. But there are several things that I'm looking into that city:
1. There are job openings on my industry.
2. Sports city: I love sports so basically I would love a city with all 4 major sports (MLS if it can) and with loyal fans, I want to start rooting for a team not for their success, instead I wanna love them despite they lose and I wanna feel that passion around the city.
3. Weed-friendly: Yes, Im not a pothead but usually like to hit it.
4. Ideal for hiking and if possible near the beach, if it aint thats fine.
5. Safe and with a sufficient public transportation.

So what are your opinions about it?

Thank you for your time, I really appreciate it
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel03 View Post
Well the cities with all four major sports plus MLS are Boston, Chicago, Dallas, Denver, New York, Philly, San Francisco, and DC. Miami and Minneapolis are also likely candidates for future MLS expansion.

With that in mind, I would say Denver is the easy winner.
I would disagree with the Denver option given it misses the criteria for sufficient public transit, a large market for hospitality management jobs and ingrained passion for hometown teams beyond the Broncos. I would lean toward toward the NYC metro (NY/NJ) first followed by Boston and maybe even Chicago. All three cities have that passion for their teams no matter what, great public transit and plenty of jobs in Hospitality Management. All big cities are more or less weed-friendly (despite laws) so unless one is essentially a pothead or in need for medical reasons, there isn't a big difference.

Old 01-07-2014, 09:39 AM

1,772 posts, read 3,518,052 times
To me it seems that the Bay Area is the clear winner. It's pricey, but they have great sports, great public amenities, close to nature, "medical" marijuana, and lots of hospitality jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.