Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2014, 07:48 AM

139 posts, read 501,269 times

Advertisements

Here is our situation. We both hate winter....as I'm sure 99% of Northerners can attest to right now...and would like to find an ideal city in a warmer climate.

The big problem I'm having is that she has a much harder time with change than I do, and is scared of the big city and everything that comes with it. However she is being open enough to ask me to research for her and try to come up with a destination she would like. Currently we live in the Brighton MI area, and are also very familiar with East Lansing. She would like to stick as close to these types of towns as possible. (Probably 75k or less people, SAFE suburb or even country/remote living...but near cities that provide jobs)

The criteria is we need a good climate, ACCEPTABLE traffic (again, in comparison to metro Detroit), and IT jobs. Bonuses include cheaper COL and few natural disasters.

To be more exact, ideally were 30 minutes out from a city where I work in IT, while she commutes 10 minutes or less to a job in the burbs. I know this isn't exactly realistic, but this is IDEAL.

Right now I'm looking at Tampa, Atlanta, Charlotte, Houston, Nashville. But I will consider other places.

So with this is mind, what is a good "city for work/suburb for living" combination?

Thanks for all the suggestions
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2014, 07:52 AM

1,445 posts, read 2,321,202 times
You should look into the Raleigh-Durham, NC area, which is centered around IT jobs, as well as Atlanta, Houston, and Charlotte.

I think Charlotte is the most "city for work, suburb for living", if I'm interpenetrating it the correct way.

Old 01-07-2014, 07:55 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
You should also consider the northeast Texas area - Tyler/Longview. The weather is good, the COL is low, there are lots of professional, white collar jobs, the food is terrific and the people are very friendly! Keep us posted!

Old 01-07-2014, 08:00 AM

644 posts, read 1,430,469 times
Yeah I agree with Charlotte if you think your girlfriend is intimidated by big cities. I think its a happy medium for you. Some city amenities.... While you can be in the suburbs in 5 minutes.....

Old 01-07-2014, 08:06 AM

7,330 posts, read 15,383,950 times
I'd put Raleigh above Charlotte based on your criteria, but you're on the right track.

Heck, I'd say that what you're looking for is easier to find in the South (and in the Sun Belt generally) than it is up North. Cities are generally younger and smaller and built in a way that's more car-centric and sprawly. Many complain about that, but it sounds like it'd be a selling point for you.

Old 01-07-2014, 08:12 AM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,625,398 times
I would suggest you check for those jobs first and move after finding the job. IT jobs are easier to find but any job can be difficult to find right now.

Old 01-07-2014, 08:17 AM

139 posts, read 501,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
I would suggest you check for those jobs first and move after finding the job. IT jobs are easier to find but any job can be difficult to find right now.
I'd never move without a job, just trying to figure out where to target the job search.

Old 01-07-2014, 08:54 AM

93,255 posts, read 123,898,066 times
As a person that is familiar with E.L., I would say to look at places like Chapel Hill NC and Greenville SC.

Old 01-07-2014, 08:58 AM

13,351 posts, read 39,954,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crayola View Post
Here is our situation. We both hate winter....as I'm sure 99% of Northerners can attest to right now...and would like to find an ideal city in a warmer climate.

The big problem I'm having is that she has a much harder time with change than I do, and is scared of the big city and everything that comes with it. However she is being open enough to ask me to research for her and try to come up with a destination she would like. Currently we live in the Brighton MI area, and are also very familiar with East Lansing. She would like to stick as close to these types of towns as possible. (Probably 75k or less people, SAFE suburb or even country/remote living...but near cities that provide jobs)

The criteria is we need a good climate, ACCEPTABLE traffic (again, in comparison to metro Detroit), and IT jobs. Bonuses include cheaper COL and few natural disasters.

To be more exact, ideally were 30 minutes out from a city where I work in IT, while she commutes 10 minutes or less to a job in the burbs. I know this isn't exactly realistic, but this is IDEAL.

Right now I'm looking at Tampa, Atlanta, Charlotte, Houston, Nashville. But I will consider other places.

So with this is mind, what is a good "city for work/suburb for living" combination?

Thanks for all the suggestions
According to Forbes, here are the cities that are creating the most Tech jobs:

1. Austin
2. Raleigh
3. Houston
4. Nashville
5. San Francisco
6. Salt Lake City
7. Seattle
8. San Antonio
9. Indianapolis
10. Baltimore

Forbes also made a list of "regions to watch" for 2014:

1. Austin
2. San Antonio
3. Salt Lake City
4. Houston
5. Nashville
6. Dallas
7. Denver
8. Oklahoma City
9. Raleigh
10. San Jose

The Daily Beast ranked its "hot U.S. cities" that are "magnetics of opportunity, culturally vibrant, long on jobs..."

1. Austin
2. New Orleans
3. Houston
4. Oklahoma City
5. Raleigh
6. Nashville
7. Richmond
8. Washington
9. San Antonio
10. Minneapolis

Business Climate ranked the top 10 cities in the country for I.T. jobs:

1. San Jose
2. San Francisco
3. New Orleans
4. Boston
5. Austin
6. Atlanta
7. San Antonio
8. Raleigh
9. Phoenix
10. Nashville

So, it looks like you picked some good cities when you decided to focus on Atlanta, Houston, and Nashville. You might want to throw Raleigh into the mix, too.

One advantage Nashville has over Raleigh is taxes; TN has no state income tax and is among the cheapest states for over-all tax burden. When all taxes (state, local, and federal) are calculated, Tennessee is ranked 49th in the country. Texas is 37th, and North Carolina is 28th with slightly higher taxes than Michigan (29th).

There are currently over 800 I.T. job openings in Nashville. You can find them here as well as a host of reasons why Nashville is a great place to live.
WorkIT Nashville | Find Tech Jobs in Middle Tennessee

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 01-07-2014, 09:14 AM

7,330 posts, read 15,383,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
According to Forbes, here are the cities that are creating the most Tech jobs:

1. Austin
2. Raleigh
3. Houston
4. Nashville
5. San Francisco
6. Salt Lake City
7. Seattle
8. San Antonio
9. Indianapolis
10. Baltimore

Forbes also made a list of "regions to watch" for 2014:

1. Austin
2. San Antonio
3. Salt Lake City
4. Houston
5. Nashville
6. Dallas
7. Denver
8. Oklahoma City
9. Raleigh
10. San Jose

The Daily Beast ranked its "hot U.S. cities" that are "magnetics of opportunity, culturally vibrant, long on jobs..."

1. Austin
2. New Orleans
3. Houston
4. Oklahoma City
5. Raleigh
6. Nashville
7. Richmond
8. Washington
9. San Antonio
10. Minneapolis

Business Climate ranked the top 10 cities in the country for I.T. jobs:

1. San Jose
2. San Francisco
3. New Orleans
4. Boston
5. Austin
6. Atlanta
7. San Antonio
8. Raleigh
9. Phoenix
10. Nashville

So, it looks like you picked some good cities when you decided to focus on Atlanta, Houston, and Nashville. You might want to throw Raleigh into the mix, too.

One advantage Nashville has over Raleigh is taxes; TN has no state income tax and is among the cheapest states for over-all tax burden. When all taxes (state, local, and federal) are calculated, Tennessee is ranked 49th in the country. Texas is 37th, and North Carolina is 28th with slightly higher taxes than Michigan (29th).

There are currently over 800 I.T. job openings in Nashville. You can find them here as well as a host of reasons why Nashville is a great place to live.
WorkIT Nashville | Find Tech Jobs in Middle Tennessee
Per that list, Raleigh is actually ahead of Nashville in all categories save one, no? Also, there have been changes in state income tax law in NC which are SUPPOSED to lower tax rates for everyone. If that goes according to plan, I'd imagine that NC might improve slightly on that list of states by tax burden. Furthermore, COL is going to be a bigger factor than tax burden most places, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.