Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2014, 04:31 PM

2,096 posts, read 4,773,757 times

Advertisements

Where's the right place for me to move to? I am planning to move this spring or summer once I can save up or borrow $2000. I'm sick of the bad transit, ill-health inducing weather, boring culture and horrible economy in Oregon. I want to live in a totally different environment, so I plan to head to the eastern half of the country.

Some of the places I've thought of are Richmond, Providence, Raleigh, Boston, Burlington, Chicago, and DC.

Some things to keep in mind:

*I don't have a car or a license yet, so the transit has to be decent.
*I'd like to live in a place that has culture and stuff to do.
*No more than 3 or 4 months of hot weather, and the place has to get at least a little bit of snow in the winter
*A city where the people are friendly
*Affordable cost of living. I don't mind roomsharing though.
*Easy access to natural areas
*An active economy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2014, 04:37 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,680,547 times
$2000? I'm not sure I want to move any place with just $2000. What do you do? Do you have a job lined up? Otherwise, you just asking for trouble.

Old 01-08-2014, 04:42 PM

319 posts, read 604,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belmont22 View Post
Where's the right place for me to move to? I am planning to move this spring or summer once I can save up or borrow $2000. I'm sick of the bad transit, ill-health inducing weather, boring culture and horrible economy in Oregon. I want to live in a totally different environment, so I plan to head to the eastern half of the country.

Some of the places I've thought of are Richmond, Providence, Raleigh, Boston, Burlington, Chicago, and DC.

Some things to keep in mind:

*I don't have a car or a license yet, so the transit has to be decent.
*I'd like to live in a place that has culture and stuff to do.
*No more than 3 or 4 months of hot weather, and the place has to get at least a little bit of snow in the winter
*A city where the people are friendly
*Affordable cost of living. I don't mind roomsharing though.
*Easy access to natural areas
*An active economy
I can feel for you regarding this. Portland is extremely boring. No one stays out late, little if any night-life and hopelessly non-diverse. That and you can't get a cab without calling them, and they often never show up.

Chicago is fun, though it may be a bit more snow than you'd like. We had a doozy this week, I'm sure you heard. It can get hot here for a couple of weeks, the worst is when it is high humidity.

Car ownership within the city is nearly totally unnecessary. I don't, many people I know don't, and the bus system is top-notch for the US. All my German friends here don't own cars either. The blue and red line are 24/7.

We have 4am bars, and a very diverse ethnic makeup. It's a very worldly city.

Natural areas, is where you won't have much access, unless you fish. You can fish the Chicago River, Lake Michigan and a few other places without a car, but beyond that, it's a haul to nature without a car. Don't get me wrong, there are tons of parks here and green areas, but if you want hiking etc, we are in the flatlands for the most part. Far west of the city there are bike trails that are nice and through forested river valleys. Depending on what you mean by natural areas, and what importance that is for you. Once you get away from the river valleys in rural IL it's pretty much corn-fields and wind turbines. Down Hwy 20 on the northwest side of the state there are some hills, but you need a car to get there.

Old 01-08-2014, 04:54 PM

2,096 posts, read 4,773,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John7777 View Post
$2000? I'm not sure I want to move any place with just $2000. What do you do? Do you have a job lined up? Otherwise, you just asking for trouble.
This is one of the reasons a good economy is a must. I am on SSI for disability so I'll have SOME money to live off of while I find work.

Old 01-08-2014, 05:03 PM

542 posts, read 1,682,510 times
Richmond is the city for you

Old 01-08-2014, 05:18 PM

10,744 posts, read 23,798,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belmont22 View Post
Burlington
If you want to break away from all things Portland then cross Vermont off your list. Burlington is the New England clone of Portland.

Old 01-08-2014, 05:35 PM

93,193 posts, read 123,783,345 times
I seriously would consider Buffalo with its rail and bus service, 4 am last call and its neighborhoods west of Main are fine. A happy medium could be Kenmore, a very dense suburban village just north of the city(it is one of the top 100 most dense municipalities in the US according to the 2000 census). A straight shot down Elmwood puts you into this area: Elmwood Village - Buffalo New York - YouTube

And further down Elmwood takes you into this neighborhood: Allentown Association
Allentown Art Festival
Allentown - City of Buffalo - Neighborhoods - Map Collection - University at Buffalo Libraries

Kenmore is just north of this area too: Hertel-North Buffalo Business Association
HertelAvenue.com - Hertel Avenue Buffalo NY - Stores, Restaurants, Night Clubs, Services, Business
North Buffalo - City of Buffalo - Neighborhoods - Map Collection - University at Buffalo Libraries
North Park - City of Buffalo - Neighborhoods - Map Collection - University at Buffalo Libraries

Old 01-08-2014, 05:46 PM

1,704 posts, read 3,440,587 times
If Portland's transit isn't good enough for you, you're limiting yourself to very few cities. NYC is way too expensive for you. Chicago might work, but you still should really have more than $2000 in your pocket if you're going to attempt a move this major.

Old 01-08-2014, 05:57 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,786,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel03 View Post
If Portland's transit isn't good enough for you, you're limiting yourself to very few cities. NYC is way too expensive for you. Chicago might work, but you still should really have more than $2000 in your pocket if you're going to attempt a move this major.
Yeah if you want to be able to access a lot of areas without a car (or else deal with mostly buses) Chicago, Philly, Boston, DC are really your only options at this stage. In terms of being interesting places and for employment they're probably best too.

Last edited by The Postman; 01-08-2014 at 07:15 PM..

Old 01-08-2014, 06:06 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,512,704 times
Why don't you look at Philly or Baltimore?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.