Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 01:24 PM

646 posts, read 814,128 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
Transplants have very little to do with a cities original culture. There are thousands of New York transplants in Texas and Florida, but that doesn't change anything. And if you look on a map, Virginia doesn't even look like it sits in the South. Notice how there's a long line across the country that seems to form the two halves? Well VA is above that line. The very northern tip of VA sits even higher north than deep south New Jersey.

Since when? When people think progressive or New South, they think of the Sunbelt cities of Houston, Dallas, Atlanta, and Miami.

Oh okay. So now I'm deaf.

Let me break something down for y'all. I was raised in Texas and Georgia. True southern states to the heart. The South is all I really know, and when it comes to the cultures and the attitudes of this particular region, Virginia does not fit the bill. Point blank.

Shoot, North Carolina hardly measures up either.

That's the typical regard for Virginia by Southerners. Culturally they don't claim it, regardless of how "southern" it may appear to persons from other regions.

Old 11-28-2007, 01:32 PM

3,073 posts, read 11,575,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7citiesVA View Post
Try comparing cities to cities, not one whole state to several large very unique cities.

Every city in the state of Louisiana, Florida, Texas, and Georgia do not share that same "quality" (whatever that means) of those cities that you just mentioned.
I wasn't implying that they're all the same, but in all their differences, there is one unique quality that they indeed do share. I think I should know what I'm talking about.

Old 11-28-2007, 01:33 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,948,929 times
Hey, wait a minute guys!!!!

The logical reasoning, climatological references, historic borders, etc. are interesting but let's get back to the important message in this thread:

Vasinger has all but promised me that if I think I live in the south, I will then be blessed with a warm subtropical winter.

Who cares about logic and the truth? I want a subtropical winter!

Old 11-28-2007, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post

The logical reasoning, climatological references, historic borders, etc. are interesting but let's get back to the important message in this thread:

Vasinger has all but promised me that if I think I live in the south, I will then be blessed with a warm subtropical winter.

But the titler's message of the thread is extremely debatable. He referenced a direct quote from a common source which also citated it with being a very arguable statement that needed back-up. That makes the topic extremely debatable.

As for weather, you'd have to relocate to another part of Va to achieve that, that's what's good about the state. It's ideal for more northerly climates then head down East just below Richmond in winter, you'll get a sudden jerk when the pull of the water starts to hit, the skies open and blue sky Sun Belt will be on your mind, you're not there but you sense it's on the horizon somewhere. 64 runs E/W not N/S like 95/81.

But Northern Virginians seem to act waterphobic, scared to get on a surf board, or even get in the water but go back and say they went to the beach. Like when they dine at Rehoboth. LOL Landlubbers No VA and Richmond are.

Last edited by StuyTownRefugee; 11-28-2007 at 02:09 PM..

Old 11-28-2007, 01:45 PM

Quote:

Well, sweety, don't count on it because subtropical winters are reserved for the far southern U.S.

And for the record, subtropical winters are overrated. You don't know what you've got until it's gone. Cherish your real winter. Embrace the cold. It's good for your body and it kills germs.

Old 11-28-2007, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7citiesVA View Post
Is NYC like Boston or Philly? No!!!!!!!! But they are all North East right?

So why would VA or NC be like Texas or Georgia? The south is not just something you can lump into one big stereotype. The south has different cultures and different degrees of southern. I really dont even consider Texans southern. I just consider them Texans.

Being a native of Norfolk, VA for 24 years, I consider myself and everyone I know southern. From the way we talk, dress, eat, etc. I prefer the NY style of fashion over, lets say Atlanta. But I still consider myself southern.

Now that I think about it, Maybe there is a difference between the races on what is southern and what is not. As a black man, Southern to me is something different then what a White man considers southern. I could give a damn about the civil war. I'm glad the south lost. But I do consider my home the south as history would tell it.

In the Black community, everything below New Jersey is the south.

That's quite the way it is in NYC too, ethnically. Plenty of BBQ places around and Ecuadorian restaurants draw guess who, Ecuadorians mostly. LOL!!

I think you're observation however is quite accurate to each his own but there is overlap.

Old 11-28-2007, 01:50 PM

No, no, say it isn't so. Vasinger, you're such a tease!

Guess it's back to shivering and shovelling (cause I just can't stand the thought of praying for Global Warming...)

Fortunately, if you hang out in this forum you get plenty of practice in heavy shovelling...

Old 11-28-2007, 01:55 PM

"But Northern Virginians seem to act waterphobic, scared to get on a surf board, or even get in the water."

Well, there really isn't any surf on the Potomac but kayaking's big here.

Except, of course, after October. Because it gets too damn cold!

Walking on water is pretty big here, too. Ordinary people do it when the river freezes over. But we have our share of people with god-complexes too...

Old 11-28-2007, 01:57 PM

Quote:
No, no, say it isn't so. Vasinger, you're such a tease!

Guess it's back to shivering and shovelling (cause I just can't stand the thought of praying for Global Warming...)

Fortunately, if you hang out in this forum you get plenty of practice in heavy shovelling...

Well down here, many people and most all children only dream of something to shovel come Christmastime. There's something so depressing and almost nauseating about Christmas decorations in 70 degree weather. It's like a bad joke played on us every year.

Old 11-28-2007, 01:58 PM

1,342 posts, read 3,245,990 times
As the resident crank on West Virginia history I would be remiss to let this pass-

Quote:
So actually much of Va did not secede and you can look at the current state that way, hence WVA.
This is a map of the counties (in green) of West Virginia that officially seceded from the Union along with much of the rest of Virginia.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.