Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 02:01 PM

646 posts, read 813,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
Transplants have very little to do with a cities original culture. There are thousands of New York transplants in Texas and Florida, but that doesn't change anything. And if you look on a map, Virginia doesn't even look like it sits in the South. Notice how there's a long line across the country that seems to form the two halves? Well VA is above that line. The very northern tip of VA sits even higher north than deep south New Jersey.

Since when? When people think progressive or New South, they think of the Sunbelt cities of Houston, Dallas, Atlanta, and Miami.

Oh okay. So now I'm deaf.

Let me break something down for y'all. I was raised in Texas and Georgia. True southern states to the heart. The South is all I really know, and when it comes to the cultures and the attitudes of this particular region, Virginia does not fit the bill. Point blank.

Shoot, North Carolina hardly measures up either.

It's been my experience that eventually over time areas do get changed but with absorbtion. The South tends to "process" newcomers.....over time.

Parts of VA have already been thru it, and hybrid cultures have emerged also along the border Southeast and MidAtlantic.

Virginia has a long history of transplants due to its industries and military. Many were also from the South that reinforced "Southerness".

WHat has really changed it even in Southern areas such as Manassas, Richmond, elsewhere not to mention NoVA and the newer Tech areas in North Hampton Rds, but where the original NASA is still, is new technologies. WHole new emerging technologies and knowledge based economy has changed it and now drives the state's economy, which unlike most Northerners want to claim as their influence those industries were never typically northern either, but more West and MidWestern. However the fact is Aerospace and much of aviation was born in the South at NASA Langley.

Northern culture has had hard problems because they wanted to keep the poor poor with its labels when in fact so many Northerners transplant due to their own poverty looking for newer opportunities in VA and the Sunbelt.

The industries or the gold many Northern people seek were not born out of the north nor transplanted south but a combination of developments that emerged intrisically by technological changes and other factors in the warmer climates of the US.

Northerners are just what they always were, Leeches. (Oh, did I say that?) LOL

Last edited by StuyTownRefugee; 11-28-2007 at 03:01 PM..

Old 11-28-2007, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
"But Northern Virginians seem to act waterphobic, scared to get on a surf board, or even get in the water."

Well, there really isn't any surf on the Potomac but kayaking's big here.

Except, of course, after October. Because it gets too damn cold!

Walking on water is pretty big here, too. Ordinary people do it when the river freezes over. But we have our share of people with god-complexes too...

You sure do, but it's even worse in NY with all the transplants. LOL!!

Being from NYC area, growing up it was always been tradition to go to Va Beach to the East Coast surfing championships. IT's still held, and the area has a more San Diego or Lauderdale feel than being "in Va" or DC area.

Long Island as it juts out into the Sea geographically is somewhat similar to the VB extension and resembles more northerly yet more southerly beach areas all at once. There's a gulf stream line that makes VB rather unique. It's city beach whereas the Outer Banks tries to retain more raw space, but VB also has Sandbridge. Yeah Sandbridge, NY'ers love that, it's where the Surfing events often take place, but there is Croatan in VB proper too for surfing.

Last edited by StuyTownRefugee; 11-28-2007 at 02:25 PM..

Old 11-28-2007, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobilee View Post
As the resident crank on West Virginia history I would be remiss to let this pass-

This is a map of the counties (in green) of West Virginia that officially seceded from the Union along with much of the rest of Virginia.

Well, oft I hear they're sorry they did, as Va went on to maintain being a wealthy state and WVa went to hell in a handbasket, and kept exporting more and more WVa's to keep Va reinforced with a form of "Southerness". That's a time worn "crank". LOL

Kentucky was part of Virginia, but successfully petitioned for separation. Kentucky was admitted to the Union in 1792 as the 15th state.

Old 11-28-2007, 02:27 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,934,961 times
Actually, I think West Virginia is IMPORTING Virginians. More and more people move out there so they can lively sheaply in WV but still work in VA.

Old 11-28-2007, 02:31 PM

Quote:
No, no, say it isn't so. Vasinger, you're such a tease!

Guess it's back to shivering and shovelling (cause I just can't stand the thought of praying for Global Warming...)

Fortunately, if you hang out in this forum you get plenty of practice in heavy shovelling...

Well normie, I have to tell ya there is an awful lot of air traffic between NYC and Virginia Beach area. SO many nonstops daily, moreso than to DC or Richmond. It's only a 50 min flt from LGA to VB and they are usually packed.

Old 11-28-2007, 02:35 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,934,961 times
Sounds nice. Of course these days I do all my travelling down to Atlanta. I LIKE winter down there!

Old 11-28-2007, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Actually, I think West Virginia is IMPORTING Virginians. More and more people move out there so they can lively sheaply in WV but still work in VA.
I met a FEMA person manager from Manhattan in Alex who lives in CHarlestown. Now yes there are NoVA residents who are expanding that way as DC spreads more and more. However, historically so many of the poor of WVA traditionally went to Baltimore and Eastern VA to work in railroading and ports shipping and building etc. West VA and Western VA coal always left thru the ports of Hampton Roads. A lot of people I know in Balto are families that came from WVA but often went into printing or something else besides heavier industries. Balto was a very heavily industrial port.

But today they're turning to the God Heads from DC to cater to the cruise line markets to leave from there, but guess what, so is Norfolk with its new Cruise line facilities. These two towns follow each other in a number of ways.

Old 11-28-2007, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mookshow View Post
Virginia MOST DEFINITELY fits the bill as a Southern state. Im most places you can get sweet tea in the restaurants and grits and lots of bbq and fried chicken.

Northern Virginia is a mix of things because most people in that area are from some place else- but go west towards Loudoun and Fauquier county and its much more like the real Virginia.

Miami is most certainly NOT southern and neither is Dallas.

Virginia is like the Old South.
Not in Va Beach area one is hard pressed to find grits and sweet tea, anyway you can get grits easier in MD suburbs of DC. Cheese grits especially. BBQ etc is more like Richmond.

There are some BBQ further out like Smithfield. Anyway no one has as many BBQ places as does NYC, except maybe for Georgia and Dallas.

Old 11-28-2007, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Sounds nice. Of course these days I do all my travelling down to Atlanta. I LIKE winter down there!
That's a true Landlubber if I ever heard one! So then whaddaya 'plaining and pining about the winter in NoVA!!!!???

Last edited by StuyTownRefugee; 11-28-2007 at 02:56 PM..

Old 11-28-2007, 02:47 PM

3,073 posts, read 11,572,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mookshow View Post
The South is COLD all over during winter with the exception of Florida (which really isn't the South)

But I have been to South Carolina in the winter and it was very cold there too.

People don't understand that warm climate means it doesn't get ever get cold. its simply warmer longer.
Exactly. But days upon days of cold weather is very different from a few weeks of cold weather.

To me, the basic definition of a subtropical winter means that it's either very cold and snowless, or warm and wet. Usually. On any given day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.