Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 03:51 PM

3,073 posts, read 11,541,404 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mookshow View Post

Miami is most certainly NOT southern and neither is Dallas.
Now I know you don't know what you're talking about. While it may not have the general look, Dallas is southern in every which way. My favorite restaurant in Dallas is called Sweet Georgia Brown...go figure.

As far as Miami goes, you cannot go to neighborhoods like Liberty City or see places like Northwestern High and tell me with a straight face that Miami is not the south.

Old 11-28-2007, 03:55 PM

Now if someone from Los Angeles, for instance, has never left California and they want to hear about the South, who's definition and description do you think they will find more convincing? Someone from East Texas or someone Virginia?

Old 11-28-2007, 03:57 PM

646 posts, read 805,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mookshow View Post
Are you kidding? Atlanta is freezing in January and Feburary.

They get a lot of ice storms there, it's moutainous and very slippery to drive in which is worse.

Old 11-28-2007, 04:01 PM

7,330 posts, read 15,317,350 times
Growing up in SC, the general feel was that the MOST "Southern" places were SC, GA outside of ATL, MS, and AL. NC, TN, and non-DC VA were considered somewhat less southern, but still definitely the South. Texas was considered its own place. Louisiana, due to the French/Cajun influence was considered Southern, but an anomaly in many ways. Florida wasn't considered Southern at all. Kentucky, West Virginia, and Arkansas were something else. Kinda Southern. Sort of their own thing as well.

FWIW.

Old 11-28-2007, 04:04 PM

646 posts, read 805,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
Now I know you don't know what you're talking about. While it may not have the general look, Dallas is southern in every which way. My favorite restaurant in Dallas is called Sweet Georgia Brown...go figure.

As far as Miami goes, you cannot go to neighborhoods like Liberty City or see places like Northwestern High and tell me with a straight face that Miami is not the south.

Oh, I recall the "Black Eyed Peas". They are found up north now.

Old 11-28-2007, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
Growing up in SC, the general feel was that the MOST "Southern" places were SC, GA outside of ATL, MS, and AL. NC, TN, and non-DC VA were considered somewhat less southern, but still definitely the South. Texas was considered its own place. Louisiana, due to the French/Cajun influence was considered Southern, but an anomaly in many ways. Florida wasn't considered Southern at all. Kentucky, West Virginia, and Arkansas were something else. Kinda Southern. Sort of their own thing as well.

FWIW.
So what you're saying is that there was concensus in South Carolina of thousands of people that analyzed all these states that deeply?

Old 11-28-2007, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
So what you're saying is that there was concensus in South Carolina of thousands of people that analyzed all these states that deeply?
Well, those positions were a combination of general knowledge (it was OFTEN mentioned that Texas and Florida weren't "The South", that NC and VA were less Southern, etc.) and discussions that I had through a Southern Politics class I took.

What constitutes "The South" was more common a topic of conversation than you might think, though.

Old 11-28-2007, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
Well, those positions were a combination of general knowledge (it was OFTEN mentioned that Texas and Florida weren't "The South", that NC and VA were less Southern, etc.) and discussions that I had through a Southern Politics class I took.

What constitutes "The South" was more common a topic of conversation than you might think, though.
Good save. No, just kidding.

But I think what we all need to understand here is that everybody is going to have their own opinion of what the South is. No matter where they come from. Me? Texas and Georgia are where I'm from, so I'm more than qualified to feel that the South is the eastern half of TX, LA, MS, AL, GA, all of FL, SC, AR, and hardly NC. But everybody does not agree with me, and I understand that.

I was born in Virginia, and I have been there a countless number of times, and it just does not fit into what "The South" means to me.

Old 11-28-2007, 05:34 PM

Hence the whole other thread on what constitutes "The South", one supposes.

Old 11-28-2007, 07:40 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,834,010 times
LOL, I step away for a few hours to get some work done and when I come back I see you guys have been talking up a storm. Which one to answer first? Let's start with:

"Northern Virginia is a mix of things because most people in that area are from some place else- but go west towards Loudoun and Fauquier county and its much more like the real Virginia."

I totally agree--of course I think the "real" Virginia is NOVA, and I include Loudoun and Fauquier as part of NOVA.

Yes, towns like Middleburg and Upperville APPEAR to be southern in a fox hunt and steeplechase sort of way. But if you go to those towns regularly like I do and do business there you will find most of the town residents are Californians or New Yorkers who have created a Hollywood version of "equestrian Virginia."

I know a thing or two about Loudoun County. I live here and I own a business here. My employees live here. My clients are in Loudoun, as well as Warrenton, Upperville, Front Royal, and Reston. I am active in the Loudoun Chamber of Commerce.

And this summer I published a book about a murder attempt against a Loudoun County developer. (Think I'm kidding? It's the featured book this month for Keogan Publishers. You can google it and see for yourselves.)

Virginia towns don't really feel "southern" until you get down to Charlottesville. IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.