Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2014, 03:12 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,063,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CravingMountains View Post
DUH! Malaria and heat were killers back then. If they had the medicine and AC we do now I bet the north would never have been populated to begin with.
So you're saying the heat and mosquitos are merely insufferable rather than deadly. I guess that's an improvement, but it doesn't indicate that you trade the cold for something better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2014, 03:13 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CowsAndBeer View Post
Yeah, how is Canada even a country? How is Alaska even a state? What of Russia, China, etc.? How do they exist north of the wasteland that is the Twin Cities???
Minneapolis' latitude is north of Toronto. Most Canadians live within 100 miles of the US border.

Moscow, yeah, it's north of Mpls. Here is a list of cities of the world by latitude:
List of cities by latitude - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I will point out that Sweden has a much different climate than the US.
Average Weather For Stockholm, Sweden - WeatherSpark
**Over the course of a year, the temperature typically varies from 18°F to 74°F and is rarely below 6°F or above 80°F.**

Tallinn, Estonia.
Average Weather For Tallinn, Estonia - WeatherSpark
**Over the course of a year, the temperature typically varies from 13°F to 73°F and is rarely below -3°F or above 81°F.**

Here's Inverness
Average Weather For Inverness, United Kingdom - WeatherSpark
**Over the course of a year, the temperature typically varies from 34°F to 65°F and is rarely below 24°F or above 72°F.**

Even Moscow:
Average Weather For Moscow, Russian Federation - WeatherSpark
**Over the course of a year, the temperature typically varies from 11°F to 75°F and is rarely below -7°F or above 84°F. **

Minneapolis:
Average Weather For Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA - WeatherSpark
**Over the course of a year, the temperature typically varies from 7°F to 83°F and is rarely below -11°F or above 92°F. **
Hotter and colder than all the above.

Alaska has a population of all of 735,000. China's most northerly city is about at the same latitude as Portland, OR.

Old 01-31-2014, 03:41 PM

4,861 posts, read 9,310,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CravingMountains View Post
DUH! Malaria and heat were killers back then. If they had the medicine and AC we do now I bet the north would never have been populated to begin with.
Because every human being throughout human history was exactly like you and only liked what you like, right?

Have you even considered the fact that most early settlers to this country were from northern European nations and were used to a climate similar to that in the northern U.S.? That they did extreme manual labor (hey, you try clearing hundreds of acres of mature woods to make farmland with no power equipment or motorized vehicles!) and quite possibly looked forward to a break from it during the winter months? Maybe it isn't coincidence that many Europeans who settled in the South used slave labor to do the hard outdoor labor. After all, even with modern AC, you still can't air condition the outdoors.

Somebody invented snow skiing, ice skating, and other outdoor winter activities that require snow and apparently enjoyed them enough that those activities are still with us and engaged in by throngs of people every year.

Personally, I think it's a beautiful thing to get up in the morning and sit on the sofa in my cozy house with a cup of coffee looking out at the snow, all the while knowing that I still have several months of beautiful temperate months of spring, summer, and fall to look forward to. But then...what do I know, right?

Old 01-31-2014, 03:47 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,949,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
Because every human being throughout human history was exactly like you and only liked what you like, right?

Have you even considered the fact that most early settlers to this country were from northern European nations and were used to a climate similar to that in the northern U.S.? That they did extreme manual labor (hey, you try clearing hundreds of acres of mature woods to make farmland with no power equipment or motorized vehicles!) and quite possibly looked forward to a break from it during the winter months? Maybe it isn't coincidence that many Europeans who settled in the South used slave labor to do the hard outdoor labor. After all, even with modern AC, you still can't air condition the outdoors.

Somebody invented snow skiing, ice skating, and other outdoor winter activities that require snow and apparently enjoyed them enough that those activities are still with us and engaged in by throngs of people every year.

Personally, I think it's a beautiful thing to get up in the morning and sit on the sofa in my cozy house with a cup of coffee looking out at the snow, all the while knowing that I still have several months of beautiful temperate months of spring, summer, and fall to look forward to. But then...what do I know, right?
Even countries like France, Netherlands, Germany, Poland and Russia are COLD. They are more similar to upstate NY cities like Buffalo or Portland, ME. Or even Canadian cities like Toronto. In the summer, they only get a few months peaking at around 80 degrees at best.

Old 01-31-2014, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Even countries like France, Netherlands, Germany, Poland and Russia are COLD. They are more similar to upstate NY cities like Buffalo or Portland, ME. Or even Canadian cities like Toronto. In the summer, they only get a few months peaking at around 80 degrees at best.
Perhaps you should look at the links I provided. Minneapolis is colder (and hotter) than Moscow! Here's the main website: Beautiful Weather Graphs and Maps - WeatherSpark

Old 01-31-2014, 04:22 PM

1,207 posts, read 1,282,579 times
Quote:
This is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever read on here, and that's saying something.
I'm glad you think that.

My point in saying that "greenery is overrated" is that several people prefer cities like Las Vegas, Phoenix, Tucson, SLC, Reno...obviously if people are living in these areas willingly, then greenery isn't as important as some here are trying to make it.

Last edited by orlando-calrissian; 01-31-2014 at 04:33 PM..

Old 01-31-2014, 04:32 PM

1,207 posts, read 1,282,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
#4 is not quite true in the northeast. It's far less prevalent up here. We don't really have boulevards. We don't have NEARLY as many fast food restaurants, either, such as Chick-Fil-A, Hardees, Carl's Jr., Bojangles, Jack in the Box. NONE of that. All we have is McDonald's, BK, Wendy's, Subway and a few other minor ones. We don't have many of those spacious divided highways that are found down south.

#5. I have been to Phoenix twice. Yes, most of the area where people live is FLAT. There are mountains on the outer edge of the metro area, however. But they're mostly brown and dry looking.

#7. Greenery is not overrated. Why do you think all those desert metro areas (i.e. Denver, Vegas, Phoenix, etc.) put artificial grass on people's lawns all over the place, and trees that are not native to the area? Because they want GREEN, not BROWN.
#5. Alright, that's true. Phoenix does sit in a valley, so the area is mostly flat. The mountains are brown and dry looking. But many people like the desert look (including me), which is why a lot of people moved down there.

#7. When I was driving around Phoenix, I didn't see a lot of artificial grass unless it was a golf course. And the only trees I saw were cactus, palms, and some shorter shrubs. If you look on this street in Scottsdale you can see both grass and rocks/sand in people's lawn. When I say overrated, I mean that people are acting like it's a necessity when we can clearly see examples of people living without it. Personally, I'd rather have the rocks/sand. Less lawn mowing

Old 01-31-2014, 07:21 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
There is a reason the most northerly large city in the US is Minneapolis (except for the west coast cities which have a different climate). It gets tough living farther north than that.
Quote:
Yeah, how is Canada even a country? How is Alaska even a state? What of Russia, China, etc.? How do they exist north of the wasteland that is the Twin Cities???
Quote:
Minneapolis' latitude is north of Toronto. Most Canadians live within 100 miles of the US border.
Russia is a bit of an exception, while Moscow isn't that extreme and a bit milder than Minneapolis, a large fraction of the population lives in Siberia, which is far colder. Only the Canadian Prairies compares.

How cold are Russia’s cities? A comparison with Canada and the United States is instructive. A list of the 100 coldest Russian and North American cities with populations of over 100,000 would have 85 Russian, 10 Canadian, and 5 U.S. cities. The first Canadian city to appear on the list (Winnipeg) would be in 22nd place. The coldest U.S. city (Fargo, North Dakota), would rank 58th. Americans are accustomed to thinking of Alaska as the ultimate cold region. But Anchorage, Alaska, would not appear on a list of the coldest Russian and North American cities of over 100,000 until position number 135, outranked by no fewer than 112 Russian cities. The explanation for this result is not that Alaska isn’t cold. It is, It’s just that Americans don’t build large cities there.

From this article:

http://crifes.psu.edu/papers/location.pdf

it argues that Russia has an unusually high amount of its population in inhospitably cold regions, mainly due to Soviet planning. And this produces a large cost burden on the country, besides added discomfort.

Quote:
I was amused to find out that January 2009 here was colder than Moscow the same month.

Old 01-31-2014, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Russia is a bit of an exception, while Moscow isn't that extreme and a bit milder than Minneapolis, a large fraction of the population lives in Siberia, which is far colder. Only the Canadian Prairies compares.

How cold are Russia’s cities? A comparison with Canada and the United States is instructive. A list of the 100 coldest Russian and North American cities with populations of over 100,000 would have 85 Russian, 10 Canadian, and 5 U.S. cities. The first Canadian city to appear on the list (Winnipeg) would be in 22nd place. The coldest U.S. city (Fargo, North Dakota), would rank 58th. Americans are accustomed to thinking of Alaska as the ultimate cold region. But Anchorage, Alaska, would not appear on a list of the coldest Russian and North American cities of over 100,000 until position number 135, outranked by no fewer than 112 Russian cities. The explanation for this result is not that Alaska isn’t cold. It is, It’s just that Americans don’t build large cities there.

From this article:

http://crifes.psu.edu/papers/location.pdf

it argues that Russia has an unusually high amount of its population in inhospitably cold regions, mainly due to Soviet planning. And this produces a large cost burden on the country, besides added discomfort.

I was amused to find out that January 2009 here was colder than Moscow the same month.
The article says that about 1/10 of the Russian population lives in Siberia. I think Russia is an outlier.

Old 01-31-2014, 07:42 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
Quote:
The article says that about 1/10 of the Russian population lives in Siberia. I think Russia is an outlier.
1/10th is about 15 million, so more than almost everywhere else in the world, besides the Canadian Prairies and [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harbin#Climate]Harbin. But I still think the article is correct that Russia is an outlier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.