Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2014, 10:24 PM

2,032 posts, read 4,893,642 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
This is very true. I used to want to move to places like Raleigh, Charlotte, Atlanta, Houston, Dallas, Austin, Phoenix, Las Vegas, Orlando and SEFL. But after thorough research and real life visits, and reading LOTS of testimony on people who moved to those places, I do not want to move to any of those places. They're all pretty much the same. Giant, flat, congested heat grids. Ugly sprawl and CHEAP tract housing. NO culture, charm, soul or deep history. I have come to the realization that I do not like places that are very transient, popular and full of transplants or are experiencing rapid economic growth. I prefer provincial, slow/moderate growth places with a rich history, diverse selection of housing and a distinctive culture. Places that are established societies.

That doesn't mean that I am anti-sunbelt. The places in the South that do somewhat appeal to me would be places like Wilmington, Asheville, Chattanooga, Charleston, Savannah, Birmingham, Jackson, Hattiesburg, New Orleans, Louisville, Richmond and OKC. These places have retained their cultural identity and have not been invaded by transplants. They are distinctive and have charm.

As we speak, I'm currently looking for a job to relocate back to my home metro area of Hartford, CT. It is a slow growth area that is well past its prime, and many people want to leave. But I don't care. Screw them. Let them move to their utopia of North Carolina, Florida, Texas or California. The same old damn states that everyone else wants to move to. Lame.
So, in short, you prefer giant, flat, congested, cold grids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2014, 10:57 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,551,374 times
Quote:
This is very true. I used to want to move to places like Raleigh, Charlotte, Atlanta, Houston, Dallas, Austin, Phoenix, Las Vegas, Orlando and SEFL. But after thorough research and real life visits, and reading LOTS of testimony on people who moved to those places, I do not want to move to any of those places. They're all pretty much the same. Giant, flat, congested heat grids. Ugly sprawl and CHEAP tract housing. NO culture, charm, soul or deep history. I have come to the realization that I do not like places that are very transient, popular and full of transplants or are experiencing rapid economic growth. I prefer provincial, slow/moderate growth places with a rich history, diverse selection of housing and a distinctive culture. Places that are established societies.

That doesn't mean that I am anti-sunbelt. The places in the South that do somewhat appeal to me would be places like Wilmington, Asheville, Chattanooga, Charleston, Savannah, Birmingham, Jackson, Hattiesburg, New Orleans, Louisville, Richmond and OKC. These places have retained their cultural identity and have not been invaded by transplants. They are distinctive and have charm.

As we speak, I'm currently looking for a job to relocate back to my home metro area of Hartford, CT. It is a slow growth area that is well past its prime, and many people want to leave. But I don't care. Screw them. I like it. It's a very well balanced place to live with a very high quality of life and HIGH paying jobs, beautiful scenery and some of the best suburbs in America. People are in good shape, educated and progressive. Easy access to NYC, Boston, mountains and beaches. You know what I say? Let them move to their utopia of North Carolina, Florida, Texas or California. The same old damn states that everyone else wants to move to. And they can buy their brand new CHEAP house and then complain about poor schools, no culture, illegal immigrants, boring neighborhoods and unrelenting HEAT.
I'm sorry. You have no idea what you're talking about.

Old 08-04-2014, 11:00 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,953,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I'm sorry. You have no idea what you're talking about.
Care to elaborate on that? If not, then your statement has no credence.

Old 08-04-2014, 11:29 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,929,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warren zee View Post
"Will the North ever boom again"?

We never stopped booming. People move south and move back. Most are not welcomed.

I like to visit warm places in the winter.

The "New South" was a Reagan Era myth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
This is true. I know many, many people who "tried" states like Florida, South Carolina, North Carolina, Georgia, and Texas and ended up moving back with a fresh appreciation of what they left behind. We did the same with Arizona.

I have nothing against any of those states, and they all have their fine qualities, but you know the old saying..."There's no place like home". There's something to be said for living somewhere where you share the same culture and deep roots with the people around you.
Yeah, keep telling yourself that ... LOL.

Between 1970 and 2013, a span of 43 years, the state of Ohio has barely added 900,000 people. Ohio's population growth lags that of the entire United States, and if not for a healthy birthrate among minorities, the state would be LOSING population. In-migration to Ohio is non-existent compared to out-migration.

And you REALLY REALLY don't want me to spell out the stats for Michigan ...

During that same 43 year time span:

South Carolina added 2.2 million people
Tennessee added 2.5 million people
Virginia added 3.6 million people
North Carolina added 4.8 million people
Georgia added 5.4 million people
Florida added 12.8 million people (1.3 million more than the entire population of Ohio)
Texas added over 15 million people

As I said before, "booming" means two very different things in the north and the south.

Old 08-04-2014, 11:41 PM

975 posts, read 1,405,183 times
Quote:

As we speak, I'm currently looking for a job to relocate back to my home metro area of Hartford, CT. It is a slow growth area that is well past its prime, and many people want to leave. But I don't care. Screw them. I like it. It's a very well balanced place to live with a very high quality of life and HIGH paying jobs, beautiful scenery and some of the best suburbs in America. People are in good shape, educated and progressive. Easy access to NYC, Boston, mountains and beaches. You know what I say? Let them move to their utopia of North Carolina, Florida, Texas or California. The same old damn states that everyone else wants to move to. And they can buy their brand new CHEAP house and then complain about poor schools, no culture, illegal immigrants, boring neighborhoods and unrelenting HEAT.
As someone who lives in Phoenix and has traveled to Las Vegas and Orlando (and read about Atlanta, Houston, Dallas, and SE Florida) I can understand where you're coming from.

Phoenix is really a love/hate place that people either love or think it's awful and can't wait to leave. I like several aspects of it. However, unless you're in the wealthiest parts of town, large swaths of the metro area look almost identical to one another.

I'd actually argue against the no-culture. All of the cities you mentioned, while they don't have the cultural amenities of places like New York, LA, Chicago, or Boston they have improved TREMENDOUSLY on culture over the last several years.

I was VERY impressed with Tulsa when I visited it, FYI.

Old 08-04-2014, 11:46 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,929,063 times
Quote:

It's OK that you have affection for your hometown / state and want to move back there and thrive, but what's the point of bashing the South? And insulting those who DO like living down here? Obviously, as I stated above, tens of millions of people have figured out a way to enjoy life below the Mason-Dixon line. You're not going to change anybody's mind by spouting empty hyperbole like "poor schools, no culture, illegal immigrants, boring neighborhoods and unrelenting heat ... Giant, flat, congested heat grids. Ugly sprawl and CHEAP tract housing. NO culture, charm, soul or deep history ... " None of which are absolutes, and all of which can be found in the north as well. (Saying the South has no history, charm, soul or culture is HILARIOUS, BTW! Who do you think you're fooling?!)

Frankly, you try WAY too hard to justify your reasons for being where you are. What's up with that? If you were really that confident about living in Connecticut, you wouldn't have to put down other places to feel good about it.

Old 08-05-2014, 12:59 AM

20,516 posts, read 33,551,374 times
Quote:
Care to elaborate on that? If not, then your statement has no credence.
You said OKC, Jackson, Hattiesburg( did you pick a city and run with it? Have you ever been there) retained much of their culture but cities such as Atlanta, SE Florida, Houston, and Dallas haven't? You obviously don't care for boomtowns. That's fine. But bashing and spewing untruth statements towards certain cities shows that you probably won't be happy anywhere.

Old 08-05-2014, 02:40 AM

4,861 posts, read 9,311,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Yeah, keep telling yourself that ... LOL.

Between 1970 and 2013, a span of 43 years, the state of Ohio has barely added 900,000 people. Ohio's population growth lags that of the entire United States, and if not for a healthy birthrate among minorities, the state would be LOSING population. In-migration to Ohio is non-existent compared to out-migration.

Florida added 12.8 million people (1.3 million more than the entire population of Ohio)

As I said before, "booming" means two very different things in the north and the south.
I'm afraid that you've misinterpreted my post. I never argued that there is a population boom going on in the North. I simply stated that I know many, many people who moved looking for greener pastures and then became homesick and moved back home. People leaving and moving back does not constitute net population growth.

If anything, the numbers that you posted above do nothing but increase my satisfaction with living in my native region. I hate sprawl, but even more, I hate the idea of living among a bunch of people with no real ties to the area who moved just so that they could afford a better house than where they came from and can't handle snow. As has been noted many times on these forums, many of these people then do nothing but complain about how things aren't like they were "back home". Who wants to be around that day in and day out?

I have nothing against the Sunbelt and enjoy visiting many places there, including your current city. Savannah has a lovely historic district that is nice for an occasional stroll. The rest of the area doesn't do anything for me, but to each their own, live and let live, and let's be glad that everyone does not seek the same things in life, or things would be pretty messed up.

"And you REALLY, REALLY don't want me to spell out the stats for Michigan." LOL. This has less than nothing to do with individual quality of life here. Is uncontrolled population growth supposed to equal high quality of life, because for me, it is just the opposite. We visited Florida this past winter and I honestly could not wait to get home. What a mess! It's warm, it's got beaches and palm trees, and it's got uncontrolled sprawl that ruins all of those things for me.

My state is beautiful, my husband and I have good, well paying jobs here, our families are here, our kids are putting down roots here, and we are A-OK with the weather here. To attempt to try to make me feel badly about where I live based on the fact that it isn't getting a mass influx of transplants from other regions who drive up the prices of everything, bring uncontrolled sprawl, and do nothing but try to change the native culture that has been in place for centuries isn't going to work. I'm happy and settled.

Old 08-05-2014, 07:59 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,068,177 times
Quote:
Newsboy;35950966]Yeah, keep telling yourself that ... LOL.

Between 1970 and 2013, a span of 43 years, the state of Ohio has
barely added 900,000 people. Ohio's population growth lags that of the entire United States, and if not for a
healthy birthrate among minorities, the state would be LOSING population.
In-migration to Ohio is non-existent compared to out-migration.
And just during the 10 years 1950-1960, Ohio added 1.8 million. It is from experience that all booms end, and they can end very fast. Growth rates, especially with migration, are already declining in much of the South, and if you look at the North, they're improving.

Quote:

And for all that growth, only 2 are more populated than Ohio (Texas/Florida). The others are decades away from even catching up, let alone passing it, and that assumes that growth rates for all stay exactly the same, which isn't happening.

Old 08-05-2014, 08:06 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,953,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
It's OK that you have affection for your hometown / state and want to move back there and thrive, but what's the point of bashing the South? And insulting those who DO like living down here? Obviously, as I stated above, tens of millions of people have figured out a way to enjoy life below the Mason-Dixon line. You're not going to change anybody's mind by spouting empty hyperbole like "poor schools, no culture, illegal immigrants, boring neighborhoods and unrelenting heat ... Giant, flat, congested heat grids. Ugly sprawl and CHEAP tract housing. NO culture, charm, soul or deep history ... " None of which are absolutes, and all of which can be found in the north as well. (Saying the South has no history, charm, soul or culture is HILARIOUS, BTW! Who do you think you're fooling?!)

Frankly, you try WAY too hard to justify your reasons for being where you are. What's up with that? If you were really that confident about living in Connecticut, you wouldn't have to put down other places to feel good about it.
I'm not putting down other places. I'm just listing observations and facts that, in my opinion, degrade the desirability of those places. I'm not trying to bash or hate. Geez.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.