Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2014, 09:19 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,061,657 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Of course there are hicks in New England (we don't use the word redneck really). But there's more in the South. And more people on welfare in the South. Duh.

Look, I don't hate the South. I just believe that in general, every region of this country has it's fair share of pros and cons.
I think you're being over the top with some stuff you're saying. The South does have plenty of issues, but they can be shown through facts and evidence rather than subjective stereotypes and name calling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2014, 09:35 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,948,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHomunculus View Post
I'd bet that cities like Toledo, Gary, Youngtown, etc. are going to be the landing spot for people who get pushed out of gentrifying core neighborhoods in Chicago, Philadelphia, Cleveland, Cincinnati, etc.
I doubt that. The suburbs of those cities are the likely landing spots for those who get pushed out of the cities themselves due to gentrification.

Old 08-07-2014, 08:15 PM

1,935 posts, read 4,776,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cacto View Post
Wow, who knew the Rust Belt was about to boom again?! All that wide open room, 2 months of not being chilly, and rain, nobody else has that! Toledo, Buffalo, Gary, maybe Erie PA, buy real estate now. Get in while it's cheap.
Look, nobody said it HAD to be the cities. I don't live anywhere near a city. The nearest city to me is Erie and that's 40 miles away, not to mention that it'd barely qualify as a suburb to people who live in the truly big cities in this country.

You live in Phoenix. Two months of not being oven-roasting hot. I guess we pick our poison. But here's the kicker. When the American economy crashes, and heaven knows it will, it's far easier to heat a house without electricity than it is to air-condition a house without electricity. The solar array necessary to air-condition a house in the worst part of the Phoenix summer (while still providing enough electricity for the rest of the house) would be enormous and expensive. If I lose electricity during my area's "harsh season", I'll get by with my fireplace, a saw, and a book of matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
The Carolinas are still a ways away before becoming so congested that daily life is hampered. Coastal FL is very populated, but inland FL much less so.
Perhaps, but that will change the more people move down there. Where my parents live in central NJ, my dad tells the tale that it was once rural farmland. Now it's a McMansion jungle... and all because people escaped a congested area (New York City) to live in a less congested area. It'll happen in these other popular destinations too, eventually.

Quote:
I have no idea what you're babbling on about with "surviving the hot and sticky summers." Yes, the heat and humidity can be irritating, but it's not so bad that healthy people can't work or play outside, as long as they stay hydrated and use basic common sense. North Carolina is not Riyadh or Baghdad.
Babbling? I don't babble, thank you very much. I lived in central Texas for five years. I know hot summers. Those summers were brutal, and they weren't even humid. I also lived in New Jersey. Their summers aren't as temperature-hot but they are so humid that I can grow moss on my skin from just a few hours outside. I did work outside quite a bit during those summers. It was STILL hot. News flash - your body generates heat when you exert yourself. Since a hot summer day already gives you more heat than you need, it's far more comfortable to exert yourself on a cold day where the exertion will generate the extra heat you need to thermoregulate.

Some people can't take hot and sticky summers. I happen to be one such person. I imagine that there are plenty of people who love those summers and couldn't hack the cold snowy winters that we get in northeast Ohio. To each his own.

Quote:
I drove through Toledo on my way to Detroit last weekend. Toledo is a total dump, worse than Detroit IMO.
Right. I've been through Toledo too and it isn't THAT bad.

Quote:
Some Rust Belt cities are finding their way, like Pittsburgh, but others like Toledo, Gary, Youngstown, Allentown, and Dayton are probably going to decline further. Ohio really has nothing from the standpoint of scenery or weather that's going to attract people it. It's not a destination like FL. If the economy sucks there, people will leave. I don't see much of the Rust Belt coming back at all.
When the economy crashes and/or the water supply in hot areas that are arid or semi-arid is strained to the point of water supplies running out in places because there are too many people demanding water, there will be a return of people to the Northeast. In the Northeast, you get plenty of water (heck, with a good gutter system and a purifier, rainwater runoff from your roof could supply all of the drinking needs for a family of four and leave some left over for washing), you don't have to be dependent upon electricity for the maintenance of a comfortable indoor climate, and it's very easy to grow crops. I couldn't hardly get anything to grow in Texas no matter how much I watered it. Up here, with no other fancy work in the garden beyond what I used to do in Texas, I have more vegetables than I'll ever eat.

And again, nobody says that the Rust Belt has to be defined by its cities. I live in a rural area. Scenery? Ohio isn't breathtaking but any area with breathtaking scenery also has major weather problems largely related to the geological constructs that are visually interpreted as breathtaking scenery. For example, I love mountains... but try driving through the mountains in the snow or in a driving rainstorm. Weather? Look it up. Ohio has the LEAST disasters per unit area, of any state in the union. So, climatologically and to an extent tectonically speaking, Ohio is the safest state in which to live. That was a draw for me at least.

If you don't think the Rust Belt will come back, that's your opinion. I hope that the aforementioned economic crash and water crisis doesn't happen while you still live, because at that point you will recall how RomaniGypsy called it first.

Old 08-08-2014, 09:44 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,379,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I don't want to hear or see anything about religion or church, as it is the worst thing that ever happened to humankind.

I love clouds, rain and severe darkness.
Funny, I thought nep was the worst thing that happened to humankind. Anyways, you may resume your Dungeons & Dragons game I so rudely interrupted.

Old 08-08-2014, 03:17 PM

4,861 posts, read 9,309,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Funny, I thought nep was the worst thing that happened to humankind. Anyways, you may resume your Dungeons & Dragons game I so rudely interrupted.
Glad to see that I wasn't the only one who correlated those two comments. It just makes sense.

Old 10-05-2014, 08:50 PM

2,221 posts, read 4,392,577 times
The U.S. Cities Attracting The Most Families

the top 10 places for young families to move to are all Sunbelt cities, kind of disputes the notion that only old folks move south. Looks like the North is getting old. Being a Buckeye fan, one reason why 'the team up north' (U of M) will be on downward trend in football is because there recruiting area (state of Michigan)is getting older and SEC is getting stronger...

Old 10-06-2014, 04:49 AM

4,861 posts, read 9,309,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZnGuy View Post

the top 10 places for young families to move to are all Sunbelt cities, kind of disputes the notion that only old folks move south. Looks like the North is getting old. Being a Buckeye fan, one reason why 'the team up north' (U of M) will be on downward trend in football is because there recruiting area (state of Michigan)is getting older and SEC is getting stronger...
For someone who is "livin' the good life", you sure don't seem very contented. Happy people tend to be nice people who don't feel the need to put others down to make themselves feel better.

Just sayin'...

Old 10-06-2014, 05:37 AM

5,296 posts, read 6,063,888 times
Quote:

Last I checked there were no SEC schools in Ohio, apparently Columbus is immune? People in Ohio really need to find more things to have pride in beyond one successful college football team.

Old 10-06-2014, 07:22 AM

545 posts, read 1,100,830 times
climate change will be the end of the sunbelt. these populations will shift to the north west (Portland, SEattle) and Great Lakes (Chicago, Minneapolis).

Old 10-06-2014, 08:01 AM

5,464 posts, read 5,709,317 times
Quote:

FYI, that article is comparing with stats from 2000 census.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.