Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2014, 08:43 AM

1,214 posts, read 1,695,172 times

Advertisements

Hi, I currently live in Florida but have recently been laid off and finding trouble getting a new job, especially one that pays well (most of the jobs here are in tourism which don't pay well), I have family in California who keep inviting me to come live with them. I have been to California before through visits and I did enjoy the state, lots of natural beauty and mountains (we have
no mmountains here in Florida) and the weather was great, much better than Florida weather during the summer. Anyway my family are friends with people who own a vineyard and they said they would hire me. I also would not have to pay any rent. I would be living in Sonoma County, Sant Rosa .

However my dilemma is that I have family here too, and I'm also a conservative Christian who enjoys firearms. I realize that California is very liberal and the exact opposite of my political view , however I am not preachy about my beliefs and do tolerate and respect liberals even though I disagree with them.I am worried about their gun laws however as I heard that California is anti gun and anti hunting.

I think I could be happy in either place, but I sort of feel that there are not many opportunities in Florida and a lot more in California. I also would enjoy living in such a powerhouse state. Also I am a young man in his early 20s who is not married and has no kids. My goal is to find a job and go to college, I don't know what the college is like in California. California is more expensive but the wages are higher from what I understand, I would be making13 an hour in California.

Just looking for general advice, thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2014, 01:10 PM

1,640 posts, read 2,654,825 times
Unlike FL, the majority of transplants who move to CA from other states are educated, hence the significantly higher COL. Since you're already a FL resident, it would be in your best interest to educate yourself at one of FL's many nominally-priced four-year universities before moving to CA. FL residents enjoy the cheapest overall in-state tuition rates in the nation whereas CA residents endure some of the highest overall in-state tuition rates. Also, there are no tuition breaks and incentives available to CA students such as Bright Futures and FL Prepaid.

That being said, CA is head and shoulders above FL. There's really no comparison, IMO.

Old 01-15-2014, 07:35 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,134,777 times
It seems you have nothing to lose. Go for it young man and stop worrying about politics.

You don't have to agree with everyone in order to survive and be happy. Trust me, I know what I am talking about on that score.

Old 01-19-2014, 08:04 AM

271 posts, read 247,760 times
I'm familiar with the area that you are considering. It is a beautiful area of California. It is a VERY liberal area. But that's pretty much the entire state. I say go for it. If you plan on going to college you can wait until you receive residency status with would be either one or two years. Depending on the college. Good luck.

Old 01-19-2014, 11:07 AM

1,640 posts, read 2,654,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
It seems you have nothing to lose. Go for it young man and stop worrying about politics.

You don't have to agree with everyone in order to survive and be happy. Trust me, I know what I am talking about on that score.
I wholeheartedly agree with this sentiment.

California, especially, is a very "come as you are" type of place, more so than almost anyplace in the entire nation, IMO. You will have no difficulty adjusting, making friends, etc., even if you're socially-conservative. Politics rarely comes up as a topic of conversation in California, as in most places.

Besides, California is a much better place to live as a young person than Florida. Take this from someone who has lived in both states as a young person.

Old 05-25-2014, 10:29 AM

1 posts, read 2,499 times
I see you posted this awhile back so I am not sure if you have already decided to move or stay. I moved to California back in 1988. I am a conservative Republican Christian I would encourage you to go if you have the means and a job lined up. The Sonoma/Santa Rosa Area is beautiful! It would be a great experience to live in an area as beautiful as this. Granted, California tuition is higher, it is possible to do so without getting into too much debt.

First you would have to wait a year to establish your residency, I know waiting sucks but it will be worth it financiallly and the year will go by fast! Rather than pay out of state tuition.

As far as gun laws in California, I have many friends who own guns in California legally, and many who hunt as well! If you make friends with other hunters then they will have your back and also advise you on California's gun laws! I guess the forum you should be on is a gun forum and if you are bringing a weapon, how you will register it here. (Do not bring plants because they will be confiscated at the border, our Agriculture laws are more stringent than our Gun Laws!

The question you need to ask yourself is how long will the family let you stay there? (Until you finish school???) Rent in the Sonoma and Santa Rosa Area is very high and with out a degree or good job, it may not be feasible or do-able for you. Rent in most large cities in California run around $700 - $900 for a studio apartment, $1000- $1200 for a one bedroom and it goes up from there. Some cities in the central valley is cheap but, there is lack of jobs or lack of good jobs there. There are jobs but not much, and the higher paid jobs are usually in areas and cities where the educated work force live. So you should start there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.