Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2014, 05:52 PM

2,331 posts, read 3,211,765 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post
I am a single 40 year old AA woman seeking some advice where I should live. I recently relocated to Baltimore and I really do not like it. The area is great but it is not for me. The crowd is too young. I like being within walking distance of amenities but it is too loud.

I am finding it difficult to figure out my next step because neighborhoods either cater to young folks or people with children. I really would like to meet other mature professional/working class people but I can't find any. I will admit, I am on the shy side. I am also an introvert.

My profession is in health care administration and I hate it. Unfortunately, it is the only job I can get. I wanted to do something else but people will not consider you if you do not have experience. I am not sure if I can get something in this area anymore since I declined a couple of interviews. I know. I know. I was optimistic but reality has set in. I am trapped in this crap until I am dead or retired.

I recently visited Phoenix, AZ and I liked it. I really like the landscape and the fact that there are so many transplants. It is hard to meet people at my age because most people already have an established network of friends and family. I spoke to more people during my week stay in Phoenix than in the whole year living in Baltimore. There are quite a few jobs in my field. I've applied to them but I have not heard from anyone. I am contemplating packing up and moving there to give it a try. I am not sure. The sun is also a consideration. I am not sure if I can handle the heat.

Are there other places I should explore? I guess if I had to summarize, I would like to live in a place where I can find a job to support myself, meet age appropriate people, and live somewhere safe and nice. I would also like to be close to amenities with a commute under 45 minutes. Is this too much to ask? Any help would be appreciated.
So you think 40 is old? your thread makes you sound like you're 70.
Live a little!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2014, 05:55 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,458,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post
Are you referring to Capitol Hill? If so, I think it may be too expensive.
I actually wasn't referring to capitol hill. Many other areas in the city are great. But are you playing on buying or renting?

Old 01-12-2014, 08:28 PM

5,724 posts, read 7,478,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8to32characters View Post
Atlanta is a better place to live as a black professional than Phoenix. Likewise, Phoenix is a better place to live as a white professional than Atlanta. If your main desire is to live among other black professionals, then you should probably focus your search on Atlanta and Charlotte, although the latter seems more geared to white families from New England, but to a lesser extent than Raleigh.

Chicago is another option if harsh winter weather is not a concern of yours. However, since you're currently living in Baltimore and looking into to relocating to Phoenix, I'm guessing that it is.

Sacramento is another very viable option: very diverse, walkable neighborhoods, gorgeous cityscape (IMO), laid-back, short driving distance to some of the most beautiful scenery in North America, some of the best roads in California, very little humidity, and mild winter weather by East Coast standards--even warmer winters than Atlanta.

Don't discount Oakland either. Although it's notorious for crime, it's been the poster-child for gentrification for the past several decades. However, if you're living in Baltimore, crime can't be that big of a concern of yours, as Baltimore is just as dangerous as Oakland, if not more. Oakland is also very naturally beautiful and conveniently-located in the Bay Area, and I'm willing to bet it is home to a larger African-American community than Sactown.

OP, you have the luxury of being able to live just about anywhere because you work in healthcare, so take your time when choosing a new place to call home. You'll be better off in the long-run.
I will look into Sacramento. I saw a few jobs in my industry and the crime rate is not bad. Baltimore is not as bad as you think. My neighborhood is really nice but the crowd is wrong.

For some reason, Atlanta does not really appeal to me. Do they seriously date anyone darker than a paper bag?

I am open to living in a diverse community with people of like-mind.

Old 01-12-2014, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Bucks1 View Post
Hm...well have you considered DC since it is close, there are several transplants in the area, and tons of amenities within walking distance? DC has a young population but it can easily be avoided by looking at areas such as Alexandria, Georgetown, or Capital Hill? There is also a large professional population and plenty of singles! The 45 minute commute I am unsure of. DC does have a lot of traffic but great public transportation that can perhaps get you around faster.
It is too expensive to live in D.C.

Old 01-12-2014, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrythesnake View Post
Depends on where you job is. That's why I said get a job first. Atlanta has so much stuff to go for your demographic that it doesn't make any sense but I can point you in the right direction after you have a job first because Atlanta is large and the traffic is bad in certain areas.

To answer your question Inman Park would fit you. It is close to the city, plenty of restaurants, it is near the largest park in Atlanta, it is also near the largest food market in the country that is opening this year and it is so near another food market opening this spring.

Here is a taste of what Atlanta can offer you. Check out these Meetup groups here

Meetup: find your people - Meetup
The crime rate in Inman Park is really high.

Old 01-12-2014, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Do you have any preference in terms of weather, region, etc? Perhaps the Best Southwest area of the Dallas-Fort Worth metro could work.
Dallas? I do not really have a preference. I just want to live in a place that suits me. Dallas does have a few jobs posted in my field.The crime rate is not bad and housing costs are reasonable. I may apply to the jobs posted and see what happens. I hear the heat can be unbearable.

Old 01-12-2014, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevanXL View Post
I actually wasn't referring to capitol hill. Many other areas in the city are great. But are you playing on buying or renting?
I plan on renting. I do not want to pay more than $1300 a month. I am not sure that is doable in a decent area.

Old 01-12-2014, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest61021 View Post
So you think 40 is old? your thread makes you sound like you're 70.
Live a little!
It is tough to feel young when you are surrounded by children. I do not enjoy being 40.

Old 01-12-2014, 09:37 PM

6 posts, read 13,720 times
Do you know that being shy is just a habit. And you can change habits. It's never too late. Since you liked Phoenix you could start practicing on starting a new habit by exploring what you found there.
If you don't have contact info for the people you met and people you could talk to about jobs in Phoenix, use what you know to get it. Say, you can find out on the net who to talk to about the jobs you applied for, and write to them. A nice little note expressing your interest in the job and company you applied for. Learn about the company if you need to.
This process could help you feel comfortable about Phoenix ... or another place.

Old 01-12-2014, 09:50 PM

6 posts, read 13,720 times
Also changing fields is doable, but you might want to secure your nest with something familiar while you work on preparing for a change. There's lots you can read about "changing gears" and usually they direct you to think about what satisfies you and to explore work that will meet your needs. You can make "hobby" and "volunteer" experience into something that makes you look good on a resume.
And do ask for what you want when you see an opportunity!
Being 40 is a wonderful time of life. You're done with the kid stuff and on to better things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.