Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2014, 05:19 PM

3,298 posts, read 3,857,802 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
sweating 12 months out of the year.
Plus no four seasons, lack of greenery, and high crime. I have lived all over the country and at first I LOVED being in the South and West. The fun faded. Quickly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2014, 05:27 PM

1,333 posts, read 3,210,726 times
I moved from Ga to Mo and now I'm temporarily back in Ga for work. I can't wait to get back to Mo/Il.

Old 01-12-2014, 05:32 PM

1,640 posts, read 2,639,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkat59 View Post
I lived in Florida for a while and couldn't leave fast enough. The "Welcome to Georgia" sign on I-95 never looked so good
Im sure Im not the first one . . .
Well, that's because you lived in Florida. I was happy to get out, too, as are most people who relocate there. In my experience, living in Florida felt like wearing a pair of shoes that just didn't fit right. Quite a few other forumers who have passed through Florida share similar sentiments.

There are lots of other places with mild winter weather where the living is much more enjoyable for people of all ages and backgrounds.

Old 01-12-2014, 06:08 PM

7,053 posts, read 19,216,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
These days, it seems like everyone is only concerned about chasing warm weather and cheaper living and are flocking to places like Phoenix, Las Vegas, Florida, Texas, or the Carolinas. But do people ever move up north (or back east) from these places, for any reason? I do know some people here in CT that moved from Arizona or Florida, yes, but how come people here on City-Data never look into moving up north or back east?
I'm a native southerner, and I run into other southerners and westerners all the time here in Jersey.

Old 01-12-2014, 06:14 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,890,781 times
Of course people move north and east. Don't listen to what those who bash our weather without even knowing a thing about it or ever having lived through it tell you.

Old 01-12-2014, 06:26 PM

4,861 posts, read 9,258,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Of course people move north and east. Don't listen to what those who bash our weather without even knowing a thing about it or ever having lived through it tell you.
Amen! And while we're on the subject, why is it that everyone just focuses on winter weather all the time? What about the other three seasons of the year? I wouldn't trade our springs, summers, and falls here in Michigan for anywhere in the Southeast or Southwest. That first really warm, breezy, day in spring when the daffodils and pear trees are blooming and the buds are on the maples is amazing because we appreciate it so much more after the cold of winter. Our summers are very warm, lushly green, and very sunny. We get some humidity, it's true, but not the kind of humidity of the deep South that makes your eyeballs sweat. Fall in the North is absolutely the best! Crisp air yet you can still feel the warmth of the sun on your arms, gorgeous autumn leaves, and brilliantly blue skies.

I love the South to visit, but really...don't assume that all of us are just dying to get out of the North and cannot tolerate a cold winter. Everything is a trade off, and some people don't mind our winters because to us, the rest of the year is just perfect!

Old 01-12-2014, 06:28 PM

14,799 posts, read 21,391,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Because there's more to life than money and sweating 12 months out of the year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
Plus no four seasons, lack of greenery, and high crime. I have lived all over the country and at first I LOVED being in the South and West. The fun faded. Quickly.
Are you guys sure you werent in Africa?

Old 01-12-2014, 06:28 PM

12,082 posts, read 38,718,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Well, do people ever move from warm climates to cold climates? Or from cheap areas to expensive areas?
Why do you think East or North automatically means expensive areas? There are plenty of areas that have a low COL in both the North and the East. Granted, more of the East is higher COL, but not all areas are.

Old 01-12-2014, 06:54 PM

4,363 posts, read 7,023,487 times
Yes - Many thousands of people after retiring to FLorida, find they miss having a change of seasons, seeing hilly terrain, and deciduous (hardwood) trees and dark soil, and being within driving distance to visit other states.

These dissatisfied people often move a second time to the mountains or upland piedmont region of North/South Carolina, Tennessee, Arkansas, or North Georgia, which offer low taxes, less congestion, moderate weather, large lakes, and mountain recreation, low crime, and fewer foreign immigrants, so they are nicknamed "HALFBACKS" since they moved "halfway back" north.

Old 01-12-2014, 10:55 PM

1,207 posts, read 1,272,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Are you guys sure you werent in Africa?
For real. Sweating 12 months out of the year? That doesn't even happen in Miami. Unless you're out jogging, nobody's sweating in Orlando, Dallas, Phoenix, Albuquerque, Atlanta, etc...

And this high crime stuff, ha. Deciding a metro is unsafe based on a overall crime rate is kinda silly. Everyone knows South Chicago isn't a great place to be, so no one asks about moving there. Yet there are great places to live in the Chicago metro that have low crime rates. Same goes for Sunbelt cities.

Lack of greenery can only apply to a few metros: Phoenix, Tucson, Vegas, Albuquerque? So that's a huge over-generalization.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.