Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-13-2014, 10:11 PM
 
6 posts, read 8,438 times
Reputation: 34

Advertisements

I am not counting states like Florida, Virginia, or Texas, any of the states that can be ambiguous in terms of being southern. The states I am talking about are South Carolina, Mississippi, Louisiana, Alabama, Georgia, Tennessee, Arkansas, and North Carolina.

I even feel that North Carolina can be ambiguous since they went Democrat in 2008.

What I know is that racism is a problem everywhere in the world and in all developed countries. Other nations often give the USA some flak for being a "racist" country and then Americans often reply saying "it's just the south".

Having lived in the south I noticed that open racism was not really a big problem, it rarely happened and when it did it was more in the poor areas. The south isn't a place where you will be attacked for being a minority either, it is pretty rare for that to really happen these days.

What I do notice more in the south is that elitism in the well off areas that leads to you being excluded from certain circles. When I went to a high school in a very well off suburb, I noticed that as a foreign looking male (east asian) I had a tough time really making any friends even though I was outgoing and born and raised in America.

It was mainly the case when I tried to associate with the White population down south though. It is like most of my White friends have been transplants from the North or the west coast.

I also notice that with all the diversity, interracial dating is not that common outside of Asian girls going for White guys. One time shopping at a mall I saw a couple which included an attractive blonde with a muscular Black guy, it turned heads and even some of the middle aged and younger people shook their heads in shame. A few of the guys I have talked to who are young and college age say they don't feel comfortable with a couple like that around.

But here is what confuses me. Even though that may sound intolerant, wouldn't a couple like that bring out frustration in people all over the USA?

I haven't really spent much time outside of the south but I feel like the south unfairly gets a reputation for being racist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-13-2014, 11:00 PM
 
37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Reputation: 27266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Survival of the persisten View Post
I am not counting states like Florida, Virginia, or Texas, any of the states that can be ambiguous in terms of being southern. The states I am talking about are South Carolina, Mississippi, Louisiana, Alabama, Georgia, Tennessee, Arkansas, and North Carolina.

I even feel that North Carolina can be ambiguous since they went Democrat in 2008.
Arkansas, Louisiana, Tennessee, and Georgia went Democrat in '92; that same group, with the exception of Georgia, also went Democrat in '96.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2014, 02:22 AM
 
4,861 posts, read 9,304,433 times
Reputation: 7762
Non-Democrat = "backwards"????

LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2014, 02:53 AM
 
7,108 posts, read 8,960,867 times
Reputation: 6415
The south is no more racist than the north. I know because I've lived in many cities. The type of racism can vary depending upon the culture of the city such as education, income, diversity and level of segregation. But racism is everywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2014, 07:11 AM
 
Location: Huntington Beach, CA
5,888 posts, read 13,001,177 times
Reputation: 3974
Pennsylvania (with the exception of Pittsburgh and Philadelphia) is one of the most backwards places I have ever lived in.

And yes I am aware of the James Carville quote...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2014, 07:33 AM
 
647 posts, read 1,216,398 times
Reputation: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by Survival of the persisten View Post
I also notice that with all the diversity, interracial dating is not that common outside of Asian girls going for White guys.
Asian girls "do not go for White guys" as much as White guys go for Asian girls.

If you're really Asian American, you'd know that. In all known social dynamics it's the guys making the move and in the US, Asian girls I know need to fend off creepy White guys on a daily basis. One of my Asian friends has to fend off advances from white guys a few times a day. This is because the Asian girls are the "rare" ones in number. It's the same reason White guys feel like instant celebrities when they move to Asia. It's not because they all look like Chris Pine. It's because they become the "rare commodity" in Asia. Who is the rare commodity depends on who's the one who made the move. Why do you think we hear Asians saying a lot "how could you find this girl pretty, in Asia she'd be the elephant man equivalent". Asians from Asia say that a lot about Lucy Liu, and say how is it we Americans think she's hot and how she's considered butt ugly back in China. Now why else would they say that and they say that a lot. That's because the party that becomes the "rare" commodity elevates in relative attractiveness, but only because of supply and demand.

So it's not because white guys are superior that they feel like Brad Pitt when they move to Asia. It's because by moving, they elevate their relative demand artificially.

Despite the ratio of 8:0.5 between white males and Asian females, more than half of US born Asian girls marry Asian guys. With such odds, any Asian girl even those who look like elephant man can marry a white guy if they wanted to. But majority of US born Asian girls want Asian guys.

Are you sure you're Asian American? I grew up in a predominantly Asian American community and now live in East Asia. You don't sound legit because the only people who think Asian girls go for white men are white and black delusional people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2014, 07:36 AM
 
Location: Pittsburgh, PA (Morningside)
14,352 posts, read 17,012,289 times
Reputation: 12401
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadgirl80 View Post
Are you sure you're Asian American? I grew up in a predominantly Asian American community and now live in East Asia. You don't sound legit because the only people who think Asian girls are the ones chasing white men are white and black delusional people.
I've known plenty of dorky, bitter Asian-American guys who lament they can't get laid because "their girls" all want white guys. Of course, as you say, it isn't true (only around half end up with them) but that still results in half of Asian-American guys unaccounted for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2014, 07:42 AM
 
Location: Boston Metrowest (via the Philly area)
7,268 posts, read 10,585,214 times
Reputation: 8823
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
Pennsylvania (with the exception of Pittsburgh and Philadelphia) is one of the most backwards places I have ever lived in.
The parts of PA that feel "backwards" are the Rust Belty areas -- not unlike much of the rest of the interior Northeast or Midwest. It's almost like a "stuck in time" feel in which some places never recovered from deindustrialization. That's a different type of "backwards" than the stereotyped South.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2014, 07:43 AM
 
93,189 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Reputation: 18253
This again with the Asian/Brown guys and White girls dynamic in the South again.....Wow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2014, 07:44 AM
 
647 posts, read 1,216,398 times
Reputation: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
I've known plenty of dorky, bitter Asian-American guys who lament they can't get laid because "their girls" all want white guys. Of course, as you say, it isn't true (only around half end up with them) but that still results in half of Asian-American guys unaccounted for.
I don't blame the Asian American girls who do not want those men.

No girl wants that kinda guy. Asian and White are the two races that can and do produce that dorky style of men with dweeby glasses and weird hobbies. When was the last time we saw a black geek? Black guys look so manly and simply ooze testosterone. They either look like sports stars, hip hop stars and just emit a cool vibe. Now I can't say the same for Asian and White in general, who produce most of the dweebs. Black guys probably look the most attractive among the four main racial groups.

Regardless of race, no girl is attracted to that sort of guy. White or Asian. I don't think the same Asian American girl who rejects the dweebs of their race then chooses a White dweeb. The ratio of Whites to Asians is 7:0.5, so it's easy for the disgusted Asian American girl in this exercise to find a non dweeb among White guys.

My point is in spite of the overwhelming ratio of Whites to Asians, most Asian American women marry Asian guys proving the long-time whine of Asian girls "not going" for Asian guys is crap. If more looked normal, many more would.

Last edited by sadgirl80; 01-14-2014 at 08:19 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:07 PM.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top