Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2014, 01:29 PM

37,131 posts, read 39,380,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanHamez View Post
Good dope apparently given that missouri may be next to legalize it:
Petitions for legalization of marijuana in Missouri are approved for circulation : News

I think its a stretch but not too much of a stretch. We are by far the most liberal city in the lower midwest. We are the "best city for LGBT" people that is not on the east or west coast. We have a tech/startup scene that is exploding in the last few years (lots of businesses founded in St. Louis were bought out recently so local investors are literally rolling in money and funding lots of startups). We are a major IT center (they have such a desire for talent right now that they're training people from the ground up in programming to get hires. A thousand people recently showed up at one of the training sessions to begin learn how to program.). We have a very good wine country (largest producer of wine before California was completely settled). We also have some things that are pretty different like we have a major engineering focus (Boeing Defense is focused here) as well as probably the world's greatest focus of plant biotechnology (Monsanto). We're still working on fixing some of the grittiness but I'd say in 10-20 years, this city will be as attractive as places like Boston and Seattle are today.
This would be statewide vote, right? Could the state as a whole pull in the votes for this? It'd be pretty amazing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2014, 07:24 PM

135 posts, read 280,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesarstl View Post
Really? Talk about arrogant and mind numbingly ignorant, someone has never been to St. Louis...
More like he's never been to San Francisco. SF is one of the most beautiful cities I've visited, but its worst areas easily rival St. Louis' worst.

Old 01-18-2014, 07:48 PM

188 posts, read 376,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
This would be statewide vote, right? Could the state as a whole pull in the votes for this? It'd be pretty amazing.
Yeah it would be a statewide vote. We will have to see how it goes. Mayor Slay of St. Louis recently had a poll on the city website asking the citizens of St. Louis what they felt about legalization. The results were like 95% in favor.

Old 01-18-2014, 08:00 PM

3,413 posts, read 5,124,973 times
If by that you mean prone to being destroyed by a massive earthquake at some point in the future, then yes.

Old 01-18-2014, 08:12 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,208,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Well, what people think is one thing, but in reality the East Bay has one of the largest clusters of elite households in the country and is actually quite an affluent region of 2.6 million people.
Interesting list but I do have to wonder why Oakland is on the list but San Francisco (or at least one or more neighborhoods in San Francisco) is not on the list...?

Old 01-18-2014, 08:30 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,134,833 times
St. Louis is cool. I really love it. I love the Italian influence on the Hill, the great baseball culture, the air of academia around Washington University, the blue-collar sincerity of the place, the music, etc.

That said, it's really nothing like San Francisco. It's not even worth entertaining the conversation.

Old 01-18-2014, 08:48 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,208,043 times
They both boast a fairy good array of rowhouses, and they are both named after Catholic saints, but the comparisons pretty much end there.

Old 01-19-2014, 12:13 AM

36,655 posts, read 67,506,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
Interesting list but I do have to wonder why Oakland is on the list but San Francisco (or at least one or more neighborhoods in San Francisco) is not on the list...?
Because Oakland has a much larger contiguous cluster of super elite zip codes than SF.

Most people dont know this but if you look at SF and cities that physically border The City vs the cities that physically border Oakland, its not even debatable that Oakland is physically bordered by much nicer and significantly more upscale areas than SF.

Old 01-19-2014, 02:12 AM

11,554 posts, read 9,324,204 times
Did you just compare St. Louis to...? Oh g-d...

Until St. Louis can get its crime levels to be lower than a Central American country's, I don't think it can be "the San Francisco" of anything. Boarded-up homes everywhere are also very un-Francisco-like

Old 01-19-2014, 03:47 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,966,855 times
St. Louis isn't like San Francisco!

Its a city with lots of potential. There are many tech start ups and the city has a very up and coming feel.

St. Louis best neighborhoods can go toe to toe with most big cities 2nd tier neighborhoods not their worst.

St. Louis liberalism isn't on par with the west coast but it maybe a little more liberal than Cincinnati. I live in Chicago and can tell when it comes to gay rights and other "liberal" things they are both even. Otoh, Chicago has a lot of loyalty to its traditions and can make it seem more conservative than a large city should be. I think St. Louis would be in the same situation if it wasn't for massive White flight and the recent Black flight. That can actually work in its favor if the city gets it done and does it right. The fact the city went from 800k to 320k shows a significant decline at the same time is opening the city up to a comeback and hopefully it can outgrow many traditional issues that plague Midwestern cities.

Is St. Louis on par with San Francisco? IMO, hell to the naw!!! Will it be in my life time? No. Will it make a great come back? IMO it is on its way.

Last edited by mjtinmemphis; 01-19-2014 at 04:07 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.