Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2014, 08:32 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,538,415 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
Much of Michigan is still a mess, some Ohio cities are also in poor shape. People are still leaving states like MI, WI, Oh and IN.
Really? Ford alone is going to hire 5000 this year in Michigan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2015, 12:05 AM

3,750 posts, read 4,927,752 times
In my opinion, yes. It's improving though, slowly but surely. The fact they have so much water and it's cheap to live there makes me think the region has potential to rise again.

Old 06-21-2015, 05:11 AM

4,409 posts, read 6,486,139 times
For some being from the "rust belt" has become an identity. I know here in upstate NY you can still see a lot of industrial dilapidation and rot but also a lot of areas blooming anew.

For example, Geneva is pretty lively whereas Elmira still suffers around the edges. Granted, Elmira is in a poorer region of the state (although the city itself is home to some very wealthy people) and that will affect things alone.

Old 06-21-2015, 11:30 PM

1,636 posts, read 2,123,950 times
In a decade or so, it will be known as the "Green Belt" and other areas of the country might become the "Drought Belt." Don't underestimate the importance of the Great Lakes.

Old 06-22-2015, 02:23 PM

3,450 posts, read 4,492,600 times
It seems that people in (say) upstate NY embrace the term, but generally it's considered an insult around here. I've never heard a person in Milwaukee talking about "living in the rust belt" or anything of the sort. Ditto every city in the state, and Chicago, and Duluth, and etc. The further from the east coast you get, the less you'll hear anyone self-reference "rust belt," in general.

Old 06-22-2015, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
It seems that people in (say) upstate NY embrace the term, but generally it's considered an insult around here. I've never heard a person in Milwaukee talking about "living in the rust belt" or anything of the sort. Ditto every city in the state, and Chicago, and Duluth, and etc. The further from the east coast you get, the less you'll hear anyone self-reference "rust belt," in general.
Interesting. I wonder why. Yeah the history is depressing but it's also our history, you know?

That would kind of be like finding the terms Appalachia or New England or New Jersey offensive. Okay maybe that last one would make sense...

Old 06-22-2015, 05:24 PM

4,861 posts, read 9,253,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
Interesting. I wonder why. Yeah the history is depressing but it's also our history, you know?

That would kind of be like finding the terms Appalachia or New England or New Jersey offensive. Okay maybe that last one would make sense...
Because it conjures up images of states full of nothing but rusty, abandoned factories and economic desolation, which is anything but the truth for the vast majority of these states. Take Michigan, for example. Detroit takes up less than 0.01% of the state's total land mass, and the majority of the rest of the state is fertile farmland and dense forests, yet you will hear Michigan referred to as a "rustbelt" state, as if the whole state is nothing but a manufacturing graveyard. So disrespectful and inaccurate.

Why not take a peek at some of the photo threads of the "rustbelt" states and see for yourselves? I know it feels good to a lot of people to put down one area to make them feel superior for living in a different area, but truth and honesty are always nice too.

Old 06-22-2015, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
Because it conjures up images of states full of nothing but rusty, abandoned factories and economic desolation, which is anything but the truth for the vast majority of these states. Take Michigan, for example. Detroit takes up less than 0.01% of the state's total land mass, and the majority of the rest of the state is fertile farmland and dense forests, yet you will hear Michigan referred to as a "rustbelt" state, as if the whole state is nothing but a manufacturing graveyard. So disrespectful and inaccurate.

Why not take a peek at some of the photo threads of the "rustbelt" states and see for yourselves? I know it feels good to a lot of people to put down one area to make them feel superior for living in a different area, but truth and honesty are always nice too.
I don't have to look it up because I've lived it. haha

I understand that perspective. Entirely logical.

I think maybe one reason NY doesn't take it so negatively is that we are always fighting perception battles on other fronts. A lot of us feel as though we are always trying to prove that poverty; mountains; rural areas; farms; forests; nice people; good food; all exists in NY state.

Whether or not the term "rust belt" is offensive kinda takes a back seat here perhaps?

Old 06-22-2015, 05:59 PM

4,861 posts, read 9,253,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
I don't have to look it up because I've lived it. haha
I know, that wasn't directed at you, it was directed at people who use the term "rustbelt" as a way to put down an entire region that they often actually know very little about.

The difference between using a moniker like "rustbelt" vs. something like New England or the Desert Southwest is that the term "rust" in and of itself represents decay and has a very negative connotation. I find it offensive, just as I would find it offensive if someone were to coin the phrase "smogbelt" to describe the whole of the southern half of the state California because there is smog in LA, or "povertybelt" to describe the entire Southeast just because there are some poor, rural areas. Not only offensive, but obviously not accurate.

Old 06-22-2015, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
I know, that wasn't directed at you, it was directed at people who use the term "rustbelt" as a way to put down an entire region that they often actually know very little about.

The difference between using a moniker like "rustbelt" vs. something like New England or the Desert Southwest is that the term "rust" in and of itself represents decay and has a very negative connotation. I find it offensive, just as I would find it offensive if someone were to coin the phrase "smogbelt" to describe the whole of the southern half of the state California because there is smog in LA, or "povertybelt" to describe the entire Southeast just because there are some poor, rural areas. Not only offensive, but obviously not accurate.
No worries! I understand. You certainly have a point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.