Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2014, 09:36 PM

149 posts, read 100,457 times

Advertisements

In your opinion, what is the best city for buppies ( black young professionals)? I know Atlanta is supposed to be good, but where else? (Rated by diversity, amount of young people, amount of buppies, culture, open-mindedness).

Old 01-26-2014, 09:44 PM

58 posts, read 82,500 times
I had to click on this cause I was thinking "wtf is a buppie" now that I know the only suggestions I can make for cities I've been to is nashville, charlotte, and raleigh all good choices but none of them come close to ATL really. ATL is our NYC. Everyone is just fighting for 2nd place.

Charlotte and nashville have really good HBCUs and Charlotte has a lot of AA culture. Lots of tv shows about the local civil rights history, parades and free admittence to the black history museum on mlk day, and the black hbcu sweet 16 called the CIAA is held there. The past 2 mayors and the police chief is black, also is most of the city council. Also our black mayors have been from our worst hoods too so its nice having local natives from the ghetto that made it out who are now in charge.

Charlottes badass, a lot of really violent black hoods when I grew up there are not gentrified now but for some reason the crime rate has dropped like crazy. Charlotte like atanta is an example that black folks can be in charge and be in power without the town turning to crap. As you can probably tell I'm originally from charlotte and love it. I'm white but I grew up around mostly black folks down there an love country ass QC black folk, there badass an I miss them up here in the midwest.

Nashville has an elite an pretty unique hbcu in that about half of its student population isn't black.

Last edited by HQPosts; 01-26-2014 at 09:59 PM..

Old 01-26-2014, 09:48 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,948,981 times
DC and ATL are the top two, IMO. Then you have NYC, Chicago, Houston, Dallas, Charlotte, Raleigh/Durham, etc.

Old 01-26-2014, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
DC and ATL are the top two, IMO. Then you have NYC, Chicago, Houston, Dallas, Charlotte, Raleigh/Durham, etc.
I can't believe I forgot about DC. I might try moving there. I already live in Charlotte. There are Black Professionals here, but it isn't young or vibrant. I'd consider living here when I have a family.

Old 01-26-2014, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HQPosts View Post
I had to click on this cause I was thinking "wtf is a buppie" now that I know the only suggestions I can make for cities I've been to is nashville, charlotte, and raleigh all good choices but none of them come close to ATL really. ATL is our NYC. Everyone is just fighting for 2nd place.

Charlotte and nashville have really good HBCUs and Charlotte has a lot of AA culture. Lots of tv shows about the local civil rights history, parades and free admittence to the black history museum on mlk day, and the black hbcu sweet 16 called the CIAA is held there. The past 2 mayors and the police chief is black, also is most of the city council. Also our black mayors have been from our worst hoods too so its nice having local natives from the ghetto that made it out who are now in charge.

Charlottes badass, a lot of really ciolent black hoods when I grew up there are not gentrified now but for some reason the crime rate has dropped like crazy. Charlotte like atanta is an example that black folks can be in charge and be in power without the town turning to crap. As you can probably tell I'm originally from charlotte and love it.

Nashville has an elite an pretty unique hbcu in that about half of its student population isn't black.
Charlotte is a great place for black people. Great salaries, but I grew up here and I feel its kind of boring for young people. I plan to come back and live in Charlotte when I have a family.

Old 01-26-2014, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradiseme View Post
Charlotte is a great place for black people. Great salaries, but I grew up here and I feel its kind of boring for young people. I plan to come back and live in Charlotte when I have a family.
I feel you. Charlottes the best for families, its a family first type of town, but I wouldn't call uptown during CIAA or beatties ford on a Saturday night slow for sure lol.

I feel kinda silly for saying all that knowing your from there now but at the same time I love ranting about charlotte. Lol.

Old 01-26-2014, 10:19 PM

Quote:
I feel you. Charlottes the best for families, its a family first type of town, but I wouldn't call uptown during CIAA or beatties ford on a Saturday night slow for sure lol.

I feel kinda silly for saying all that knowing your from there now but at the same time I love ranting about charlotte. Lol.
OK, there is stuff to do, but its not exactly hopping like Atlanta. It has given me a thought. I should move out of burbs and into the city. The commute has never been a problem because its easy to avoid traffic in Charlotte.

I still want to give a new city a try. You know anything about LA Or San Francisco?

Old 01-26-2014, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradiseme View Post
OK, there is stuff to do, but its not exactly hopping like Atlanta. It has given me a thought. I should move out of burbs and into the city. The commute has never been a problem because its easy to avoid traffic in Charlotte.

I still want to give a new city a try. You know anything about LA Or San Francisco?
I agree with you though. No where in charlotte can compete with atlanta or some other places when it comes to a faster fun lifestyle regaurdless of race. I'm from the eastside an its more fun than the burbs but everyone still comutes to uptown for real fun unless hood s#%$ is what your into. There's lots of fun dangerous things always going on out east lol, but it doesn't sound like that's your scene.

I don't think in LA or SF has much upper class black culture. SF has hardly any black folks and the few that live there are mostly either gay or trapped in the projects. LA has nicer black nabes I know but IDK about LA that whole bloods crips thing and latinos taking over black neighborhoods just doesn't make it sound like the most positive place for black folks. But if you love to party with rich white folks I don't think it can get much better than LA providing your money is long.

I wouldn't reccomend SF to anyone personally, who isn't homosexual and extremely pretentious.

Old 01-26-2014, 10:47 PM

Quote:
I agree with you though. No where in charlotte can compete with atlanta or some other places when it comes to a faster fun lifestyle regaurdless of race. I'm from the eastside an its more fun than the burbs but everyone still comutes to uptown for real fun unless hood s#%$ is what your into. There's lots of fun dangerous things always going on out east lol, but it doesn't sound like that's your scene.

I don't think in LA or SF has much upper class black culture. SF has hardly any black folks and the few that live there are mostly either gay or trapped in the projects. LA has nicer black nabes I know but IDK about LA that whole bloods crips thing and latinos taking over black neighborhoods just doesn't make it sound like the most positive place for black folks. But if you love to party with rich white folks I don't think it can get much better than LA providing your money is long.

I wouldn't reccomend SF to anyone personally, who isn't homosexual and extremely pretentious.
Not gay and not trying to get shot. So for me it has to be NYC, Atlanta, DC, or Dallas. I don't know much about Chicago other then Derrick Rose and Al Capone. Dallas, and Atlanta are affordable. DC seems doable, but NYC...

Old 01-26-2014, 10:57 PM

1,514 posts, read 2,777,178 times
Seems like DC and Atlanta would deserve a lot of thought. Lots of other ok places, but those have to be top 2 by a long shot.

Just about wherever you are, living in the fun/city neighborhoods will be a lot more fun than the suburbs...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.