Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2007, 12:39 AM

12 posts, read 30,222 times

Advertisements

My fiance and I are artists who love music and a creative environment. We want to live in the Hipster, creative kind of neighborhood. Somewhere open minded, but not in the gutter. It would be nice if there are any historical districts like that. We are willing to move just about anywhere. We also need a semi-affordable place to live. What states or cities are the best for people like us? Thanks!

Last edited by cheese_procedure; 11-29-2007 at 12:52 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2007, 01:56 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,176,801 times
Northern Liberties, Philadelphia
The Friendship/Garfield/Bloomfield section of the Penn Avenue corridor, OR South Side Flats, Pittsburgh
Williamson Street OR Monroe Street (or any part of the city near the Campus/Capital Square area), Madison
East Side, Milwaukee
Bucktown, Wicker Park or Logan Square, Chicago
The southeastern portion of Over The Rhine, Cincinnati
Central part of Asheville
Campus area of Lawrence
Campus area of Bloomington IN
Ithaca NY

Old 11-29-2007, 08:13 PM

942 posts, read 1,392,424 times
Im surpised the people you mentioned that live in Oregon haven't contacted you.

Old 11-30-2007, 09:46 AM

151 posts, read 227,408 times
Look into the Coventry neighborhood outside of Cleveland. Or Kent, Ohio.

Old 11-30-2007, 09:55 AM

6,963 posts, read 20,537,438 times
Quote:
Northern Liberties, Philadelphia
South Street/HeadHouse District as well

i would've said the W.Village & LES in Manhattan, but i believe that all the hipsters have moved to Brooklyn to make way for the wealthy suburbanites & celebrities. you can still find them if you hang out long enough in Union Sq & Wash Sq parks

Old 11-30-2007, 02:21 PM

4,180 posts, read 14,597,462 times
Sowebo Arts Festival

Baltimore is teeming with them. Check out Fells Point, or the Hollins Market area by Union Square.

Old 11-30-2007, 02:32 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,176,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post
South Street/HeadHouse District as well

i would've said the W.Village & LES in Manhattan, but i believe that all the hipsters have moved to Brooklyn to make way for the wealthy suburbanites & celebrities. you can still find them if you hang out long enough in Union Sq & Wash Sq parks
Not to mention "semi-affordable" was part of his criteria, which rules out obvious places like the Village, San Fran, Berkeley, etc.

Old 11-30-2007, 02:33 PM

104 posts, read 417,417 times
Bardstown Road in Louisville, Kentucky. Yes, I said Kentucky. It is exactly what you have described. Also check out little five points in Atlanta. Little five points has it's own website. I still think, however, Bardstown Road is the best Bohemian venue I've ever visited. Good thread. I've always been fascinated by these Bohemian enclaves and am always looking for one to visit. It's kind of a strange hobby I acquired in search of the perfect cup of coffee.
Nitty Gritty Vintage Clothing and Housewares - Louisville, Kentucky
Ear X-tacy
Fair Trade organic, shade-grown coffee from Heine Brothers

Last edited by watchmanonthewall; 11-30-2007 at 03:08 PM..

Old 12-02-2007, 01:10 PM

20 posts, read 134,475 times
As someone else said, Ithaca, NY. I live in NYC. Don't bother w/Manhattan, for artsy, even Brooklyn is getting very "'establishment". Also try Nyack and New Paltz, both in New York State.

Old 12-02-2007, 01:51 PM

1,346 posts, read 3,075,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese_procedure View Post
My fiance and I are artists who love music and a creative environment. We want to live in the Hipster, creative kind of neighborhood. Somewhere open minded, but not in the gutter. It would be nice if there are any historical districts like that. We are willing to move just about anywhere. We also need a semi-affordable place to live. What states or cities are the best for people like us? Thanks!

Asheville, NC

Portland, OR

Austin, TX

Minneapolis, MN

all very funky cities.

I'm in Raleigh and while not the funkiest place on earth, the Five Points area here is pretty close.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.