U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2014, 01:31 PM

1 posts, read 2,586 times

Advertisements

I am doing a research project for an NFL magazine and using it to write an article on the media markets each team find themselves in. An aspect of this is location. In your opinion what teams have their location as a pull factor? If someone could rank them from 1 to 32 (best to worst) I'd be very grateful and *if* this piece is commissioned you will be credited.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2014, 05:36 PM

375 posts, read 711,490 times
Here's my opinion, though i've only visited a few NFL cities (Chicago, Denver, Minneapolis-St Paul, Kansas City, Saint Louis, Washington DC, Baltimore, Green Bay, Atlanta, and Nashville)

For the cities i've visited

1. Chicago. The city has so much to see and do for a weekend whether you are into shopping, restaurants, museums. Chicago has it all
2. D.C., I think DC is a great area to visit because of all the history as well as so much other stuff to do. The only problem might be that the Stadium is out in the suburbs.
3. Baltimore. I count this as a part of DC but once again a great area to visit. Also their stadium is downtown and close to a lot of bars and not far from other tourist attractions.
4. Kansas City (the city I have the most experience with) Kansas City is a hidden gem of a city to visit. Of course there is the BBQ, but KC has a lot of fun things to do for a city it's sized. It's also a great football town. Arrowhead feels more like a college atmosphere with the tailgating and such too which makes it fun. For a small market, KC packs a punch
5. Denver. Denver is a pretty fun city to visit. Of course there are the mountains and natural sights. Some say Denver is a cowtown with no culture, but it's still a nice city, and people love the broncos.
6. Twin Cities. Great cities to visit. Great music and arts scene in the city and of course there is shopping at the mall of america. It helps that both cities are beautiful when the weather is nice. Lots of lakes and outdoor opportunities, but in winter it can be a little tough due to the coldness. Still great cities though.
6. Saint Louis. Much like KC it's a smaller city with quite a bit to do. There's food of course, but there's a few cool things to see like Budweiser or the Arch. The only downside is that it's more of a Cardinals baseball town than a football town. If this were an MLB list i'd put it closer to the top.
7. Green Bay. Yes I know this is a temple of NFL football and everyone should visit it, but other than football there isn't much going on. Don't get me wrong, I love Wisconsin and Green Bay, and Door County is a great vacay spot not far from Green Bay, but during NFL season there isn't much going on except the Packers. Go there, but if you want more fun go to Milwaukee or Madison.
8. Atlanta. I'm not a big fan of the city of Atlanta. I'm sure it's a nice city with lots to do, but I really don't think it holds the candle to a lot of cities other than that it's a major business center in the south. Also the Falcons don't have a great fan base.

As for cities i haven't visited i think it would go like this

1. New York
2. New England
3.New Orleans
4. San Francisco/Oakland
5. Philadelphia
6. Pittsburgh
7. Miami
8. San Diego
9.Houston
10.Dallas
11. Cleveland
12.Cincinnati
13.Detroit
14.Nashville
15.Buffalo
16.Charlotte
17.Phoenix
18. Tampa
19.Jacksonville
20.Indianapolis

Old 01-24-2014, 06:28 PM

995 posts, read 1,199,136 times
The Top of my list would be :

1. Miami
2. New Orleans
3. NY/NJ
4. DC
5. San Francisco

The worst for me would be:

Buffalo, Jacksonville, Charlotte, Green Bay, Indianapolis, Nashville

Old 01-24-2014, 06:33 PM

10,085 posts, read 20,786,666 times
I think Green Bay is the biggest mystery for this criteria. Other than a small city with Lambeau Field and its location on a bay in Lake Michigan, and what else?????

Old 01-24-2014, 06:49 PM

691 posts, read 791,540 times
The Giants and Jets play in East Rutherford though and the Patriots play in Foxboro. Santa Clara is infinitley more interesting then Foxboro or East Rutherford(My opinion).

Teams that actually play in the cities they represent:
1. Houston
2. Seattle
3. Denver
4. Philadelphia
5. San Diego

*Honorable Mention* Atlanta/New Orleans

Overall regardless of the teams actual geographic location:
1. NY
2. Miami
3. San Francisco
4. Dallas
5. Houston

*Honorable Mention* New England(Boston)/Seattle/Denver/Philly/SD/Indy

Old 01-24-2014, 07:08 PM

6,610 posts, read 7,782,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenbay33 View Post
Here's my opinion, though i've only visited a few NFL cities (Chicago, Denver, Minneapolis-St Paul, Kansas City, Saint Louis, Washington DC, Baltimore, Green Bay, Atlanta, and Nashville)

1. Chicago. The city has so much to see and do for a weekend whether you are into shopping, restaurants, museums. Chicago has it all
2. D.C., I think DC is a great area to visit because of all the history as well as so much other stuff to do. The only problem might be that the Stadium is out in the suburbs.
3. Baltimore. I count this as a part of DC but once again a great area to visit. Also their stadium is downtown and close to a lot of bars and not far from other tourist attractions.
4. Kansas City (the city I have the most experience with) Kansas City is a hidden gem of a city to visit. Of course there is the BBQ, but KC has a lot of fun things to do for a city it's sized. It's also a great football town. Arrowhead feels more like a college atmosphere with the tailgating and such too which makes it fun. For a small market, KC packs a punch
5. Denver. Denver is a pretty fun city to visit. Of course there are the mountains and natural sights. Some say Denver is a cowtown with no culture, but it's still a nice city, and people love the broncos.
6. Twin Cities. Great cities to visit. Great music and arts scene in the city and of course there is shopping at the mall of america. It helps that both cities are beautiful when the weather is nice. Lots of lakes and outdoor opportunities, but in winter it can be a little tough due to the coldness. Still great cities though.
6. Saint Louis. Much like KC it's a smaller city with quite a bit to do. There's food of course, but there's a few cool things to see like Budweiser or the Arch. The only downside is that it's more of a Cardinals baseball town than a football town. If this were an MLB list i'd put it closer to the top.
7. Green Bay. Yes I know this is a temple of NFL football and everyone should visit it, but other than football there isn't much going on. Don't get me wrong, I love Wisconsin and Green Bay, and Door County is a great vacay spot not far from Green Bay, but during NFL season there isn't much going on except the Packers. Go there, but if you want more fun go to Milwaukee or Madison.
8. Atlanta. I'm not a big fan of the city of Atlanta. I'm sure it's a nice city with lots to do, but I really don't think it holds the candle to a lot of cities other than that it's a major business center in the south. Also the Falcons don't have a great fan base.
Atlanta below Green Bay? LOL!

Sounds like you visited Atlanta and either stayed in the suburbs or never left your hotel. Your image of Atlanta is a commonly held misconception that is just false. Your opinion is yours, of course, but it should be based on reality.

The Falcons have a great fanbase...they have had something like 10 years of sold-out home games in the Dome is well-known as one of the loudest in the NFL. That statement alone makes the entire thing sound fishy.

Without disparaging any of the NFL cities, my list:

1. NYC
2. SF
3. Chicago
4. LA
5. DC
6. Dallas
7. Atlanta
8. Baltimore
9. Seattle
10. Houston
11. San Diego
12. St. Louis
13. Miami
14. Tampa
15. Denver
16. Minneapolis
17. the rest in no particular order

Old 01-24-2014, 08:52 PM

1,613 posts, read 2,140,226 times
For me, it would be-

NYC
SF
Boston
DC
Philadelphia
Chicago

Honorable mention to New Orleans, Miami, and Seattle

Last place- Green Bay (by a mile).

Old 01-25-2014, 04:23 AM

1,919 posts, read 3,008,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenbay33 View Post

As for cities i haven't visited i think it would go like this

1. New York
2. New England
3.New Orleans
4. San Francisco/Oakland
5. Philadelphia
6. Pittsburgh
7. Miami
8. San Diego
9.Houston
10.Dallas
11. Cleveland
12.Cincinnati
13.Detroit
14.Nashville
15.Buffalo
16.Charlotte
17.Phoenix
18. Tampa
19.Jacksonville
20.Indianapolis
Did you forget about Seattle or just chose to leave them off completely? I mean I would find them hard to forget about as much the media talks about them lately

Old 01-25-2014, 12:20 PM

7,566 posts, read 8,501,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTucker123 View Post
I am doing a research project for an NFL magazine and using it to write an article on the media markets each team find themselves in. An aspect of this is location. In your opinion what teams have their location as a pull factor? If someone could rank them from 1 to 32 (best to worst) I'd be very grateful and *if* this piece is commissioned you will be credited.
First, you must know that there are only 30 distinct "markets" per se since there are two NYC teams and two in the Cali Bay Area. Secondly, I assume you are talking about a pull factor for tourists, and not for free agent players or local fans since that's what you asked. And thirdly, I assume you mean media markets, because I'd then include Milwaukee for Green Bay. (There are other teams whose "media markets" cover multiple cities, but for the purposes of my rankings the only one I'll group like this is Milwaukee and GB.

I've been to every metro, but I'll asterisk the ones I am not that familiar with which I ranked just based on a limited impression:

1 New York New York Jets/Giants
2 Chicago Illinois Bears
3 Miami Florida Dolphins
4 Oakland California Raiders/San Francisco California 49ers
5 Washington DC Redskins
6 New Orleans Louisiana Saints
7 Seattle Washington Seahawks
8 **San Diego California Chargers
9 Boston Massachusetts Patriots
10 Philadelphia Pennsylvania Eagles
11 Atlanta Georgia Falcons
12 Tampa Florida Buccaneers
13 Houston Texas Texans
14 Dallas Texas Cowboys
15 Nashville Tennessee Titans
16 Phoenix Arizona Cardinals
17 Denver Colorado Broncos
18 Pittsburgh Pennsylvania Steelers
19 **Minneapolis Minnesota Vikings
20 St Louis Missouri Rams
21 Indianapolis Indiana Colts
22 **Charlotte North Carolina Panthers
23 Baltimore Maryland Ravens
24 Cleveland Ohio Browns
25 Detroit Michigan Lions
26 Jacksonville Florida Jaguars
27 **Green Bay/Milwaukee Wisconsin Packers
28 Kansas City Missouri Chiefs
29 Cincinnati Ohio Bengals
30 Buffalo New York Bills

This is my guess/opinion of what the average tourist might think. Clearly weight given towards southern cities with sunny weather when all things are equal. Despite what I said earlier, I just realized I have never been to Minneapolis.

Old 01-25-2014, 12:23 PM

6,610 posts, read 7,782,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiVegas View Post
For me, it would be-

NYC
SF
Boston
DC
Philadelphia
Chicago

Honorable mention to New Orleans, Miami, and Seattle

Last place- Green Bay (by a mile).
No way Green Bay can offer what cities with populations of 3-5 million can offer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.