Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2014, 08:07 PM

2,145 posts, read 5,070,238 times

Advertisements

How about Austin, TX? Hot, humid weathers...but seems to fit the criteria otherwise...

You could also try San Diego; it's growing but still has a bit of a mellower so cal vibe than LA metro. I think it's a pretty friendly place, at least superficially (the curse of so cal!) The areas of: Encinitas, Solana Beach, Mission Hills, Carlsbad are all nice areas to scope out as a starting point. SD is smaller than LA metro and the lack of hollywood/entertainment industry influence makes it a bit more down to earth.

I don't know about Phoenix...it seems a bit like vegas or LA in that people are trying to move along the fast lane, more players...etc. [I know I am completely stereotyping; I've got several different friends I visit in LA regularly who do not fit this stereotype at all-but the OP is talking of a particular attitude/lifestyle vibe in LA that he/she has had enough of...].

I personally love Albuquerque, NM, too...it's very down to earth, easy to meet people (pretty friendly/live and let live attitude) and not pretentious, with some great amenities in the city. The winters are not severe; the summers are high enough altitude to not be crazy hot most days, and it's quite dry [which could be a plus or minus for the OP]. Cost of living is lower; not sure about jobs-pay is lower and I think opportunities ebb and flow.

Also, some people quite like Sacramento/midtown area. I've also heard it referred to as the midwest of CA.

Hope these suggestions are useful. Good luck w/the scouting/move!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2014, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
This belongs in the General US Board.
Why? The OP currently lives in LA; many people in LA are familiar with other cities...and as the OP said, many in LA also do not care for the same aspects, or also grow tired of it. Seems reasonable to post here, IMO. But then again, I'm no expert on forum thread categorizing...

Old 01-23-2014, 08:10 PM

6,820 posts, read 9,055,774 times
OP, consider Portland, but only if you can deal with the winter weather, some what cloudy and rainy. Summers are beautiful.

Old 01-23-2014, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
You have to be more specific. You have to do a little of your own homework for people to be able to help you. What specific midwestern town did you grow up in? Did you leave for a bit larger midwestern town for school??

Where in LA have you lived, worked, and played in? Do you have existing family anywhere else?
Why are these factors relevant/necessary? I thought OP gave plenty of specific info about what he/she was looking for and what they were tired of about LA. I think if being near family were important, it would be mentioned. Also, if they had moved to a larger place for college, the OP would not have said 'now i only know my small town and LA'. We do not in any way need the name of the town where OP is from, to provide info for this particular question. Perhaps more cost of living info would be useful...but otherwise, the original post is adequate, in my experience answering questions on these threads.

Old 01-23-2014, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
OP, consider Portland, but only if you can deal with the winter weather, some what cloudy and rainy. Summers are beautiful.
I was also going to suggest pdx, for sure, with the grey skies/rain caveat. and also maybe the data job caveat-not sure about the current pdx job market, always rumored to be saturated and low paying....Anyway, good call!

Also, Denver is practically the mid west, culture wise. [I lived in boulder area for a few years-it has a lot of midwestern influence; half the state is plains and it borders kansas. Many folks living in denver and boulder/front range, came from these parts of the state and identify with the midwest. Fort Collins [college town an hour from denver, 30 min. from Boulder] feels like a midwest college town, but with the twist of great biking and microbrew culture, plus access to mountains and skiing. Winters along the front range are fairly mild, actually. IN the mountains is a different story. CO, in my view, is a nice combo of down to earth, pragmatic (midwest) with western innovation/open to the new mindset (west).

Old 01-23-2014, 08:43 PM

23 posts, read 29,896 times
andrecle-Have you considered someplace like Texas, Atlanta, or Phoenix? It sounds like you like having big-city amenities, but want more of a slower pace. I think those places will still offer many of the things you're looking for, but won't be as much of a culture shock for you.

this pretty much sums what im looking for.
I've considered Texas or even Nashville

Old 01-23-2014, 08:47 PM

also, I don't mind most weather conditions, i just don't want to go back to hibernating for 6-9 months because of harsh winter weather. I guess I'm trying to avoid extreme winters.

Old 01-23-2014, 08:48 PM

also, it may be important to mention that I'm 30 and looking to plant some roots and even purchase a home, hence the cost of living criteria--LA home prices are not for me

Old 01-23-2014, 10:07 PM

139 posts, read 300,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by st3350 View Post
I want to give you a quick background on myself before asking for advice...

I moved out to LA about 3 years ago from a small Midwestern town. While it is true that LA has grown my career by leaps and bounds and is full of culture that I love-- it is also true that the big city is very isolating and meeting genuine, honest, loyal people (that stick around LA and live nearby) has not been my experience here.

Now I know nothing other than LA and the small town that I grew up in.

Here's my question...
where can I move next that will be large enough to have diversity and culture of it's own, provide a job in the data industry, include people that are easy to get along with (midwest values and openness), cost of living is affordable, and has mild weather?

Does this exist? help!
Depends on what you think of as mild weather!!!

Old 01-23-2014, 11:02 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,413,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrmsd View Post
Why? The OP currently lives in LA; many people in LA are familiar with other cities...and as the OP said, many in LA also do not care for the same aspects, or also grow tired of it. Seems reasonable to post here, IMO. But then again, I'm no expert on forum thread categorizing...
Posters who live in other cities (as opposed to merely having passing knowledge of them) are far better equipped to give advice on where to move. Why ask people who live in the city you're trying to get away fromthis question? I needed to explain this? Really?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.