Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2014, 02:59 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,048,781 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by townrater View Post
Uh I've been to 7 countries lmfao. I know culture. I just know that it's more diverse here because Ellis Island is here, it's always been more diverse because of that. I've been to places in midwest, IT'S BORING. I DON'T LIKE FARMS AND TREES AND HILLS. NO MATTER WHAT YOU SAY ABOUT HOW GREAT IT IS. most people not from there don't liek that.
You from Joisey? I'm from Joisey too! I live out by the chemical factory, I liek it too.

Old 01-30-2014, 03:03 PM

2,811 posts, read 5,625,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadgirl80 View Post
I don't know why you had this problem, never lived in Lincoln or Omaha.

My friends ride mountain bike, go fishing, camping, take photographs and hiking on weekends. There's no problem filling up the weekends. But to be honest nowadays my weekends are used to recover from the work I did.
We had this problem because there are no mountains, no ocean, no forests, no scenic areas there. Sure you can take photographs anywhere, but of what? It was a stretch, a serious stretch to find anything to take pictures of, because my interest was/is landscape photography. Volcanoes, towering mountains, canyons, that type of thing. Nothing in the midwest holds even the faintest candle to that kind of scenery. And of course along with that dramatic scenery comes all the things to do within it besides just taking pictures- hiking to a high mountain lake, taking waterfall tours, etc. It's just not remotely the same. As my friends back home in Lincoln joke, sure they have a lake nearby they can go to on the 4th of July, but it is really just a large mud hole in the middle of farm fields- not exactly the same as going boating on some alpine lake in the mountains.

Old 01-30-2014, 03:04 PM

3,413 posts, read 5,124,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by townrater View Post
Uh me? I'm a girl. I live in America, New Jersey. Born & raised in America. I know that most americans would know cincinnati, at least. Not really the rest. But still, only Americans. Everyone in the world knows about NYC, & most know about Chicago. That's what I mean, the most important one is here. & it's obviously more diverse then the midwest like people are claiming it's getting diverse? Not really. Ellis Island is here. Obviously it's more diverse & always will be.
Well sorry, I didn't realize Garfield, NJ was such a mecca of diversity and worldliness.

Seriously, in general
-Is the East Coast more dense? Yes.
-Is the East Coast more diverse? Yes.
-Do more people know about cities on the East Coast than cities in the midwest? Debatable. Most foreigners know Chicago, and Detroit; some know Cleveland, St. Louis, Cincinnati and Minneapolis; a few know Indy and Columbus. Most foreigners know New York and DC; some know Boston and Philadelphia; a few know Baltimore and Newark. In either case only a few cities in our respective regions are really internationally known.

Do all these facts make cities in the Midwest a boring place? That depends on your definition of boring. If boring means not driving like a maniac, being high strung, and being able to leave the city with relative ease, then yes I guess we're boring. Personally, I'm okay with that. I'd rather live in a place that has a lot to offer, at much lower costs, with less noise, congestion, and rat race feeling, and offers me the opportunity for nature as well as city life. New York is an exciting city, but it can also be stifling.

Old 01-30-2014, 03:14 PM

3,413 posts, read 5,124,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CowsAndBeer View Post
As I stated, 80+% of the entire Driftless Area* is in Wisconsin. If you like the Iowa Driftless, there's way more of it outside Iowa. Check out some of the spots I mentioned. I-35 in Wisconsin (Great River Road National Scenic Byway) has the most impressive bluffs along the Mississippi, and the scenery runs for 100 miles; Hwy 61 in MN on the other side is also beautiful (and the road Dylan name-checked).

Also, I assume you've never been to Western Michigan along the lake or Upper Michigan peninsula...or Door County or Apostle Islands or MN's North Shore etc.

* Unglaciated region = Driftless
I have been to the UP; went backpacking in Ottawa National Forest. It was nice, with lots of shale cliffs, rivers, basalt outcroppings; but nothing that much nicer than what we have in the metroparks or Cuyahoga Valley national park around Cleveland or Northwest PA. And I biked up the great river road (I think) when I biked from Cleveland to MN. It was nice, but nicer in the Iowa portion. I biked from Minneapolis to Duluth along the St. Croix (on the Minnesota Side), and again, while nice was not as nice as Iowa. Why? Because Iowa had these lovely rolling green farmland that looks like the English Countryside. Wisconsin and Minnesota are mostly forested in those areas.

The dunes in Western Mich do sound cool though. I'll have to check those out one of these days.

Old 01-30-2014, 03:26 PM

128 posts, read 193,130 times
No , you not -_- . nobody in new jersey even talks like that.

Old 01-30-2014, 03:27 PM

No , you not -_- . nobody in new jersey even talks like that. but people here complaining about stereotypes..

Old 01-30-2014, 03:28 PM

Garfield is actually really diverse, but I'm not saying it's a city. Well it is, but not like a known one. NJ is the most urbanized state, anyway. Uh yeah that's boring to me...but we have the #1 most one so that's basically been my point 19 pages ago.

Old 01-30-2014, 04:21 PM

2,233 posts, read 3,164,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm31828 View Post
We had this problem because there are no mountains, no ocean, no forests, no scenic areas there. Sure you can take photographs anywhere, but of what? It was a stretch, a serious stretch to find anything to take pictures of, because my interest was/is landscape photography. Volcanoes, towering mountains, canyons, that type of thing. Nothing in the midwest holds even the faintest candle to that kind of scenery. And of course along with that dramatic scenery comes all the things to do within it besides just taking pictures- hiking to a high mountain lake, taking waterfall tours, etc. It's just not remotely the same. As my friends back home in Lincoln joke, sure they have a lake nearby they can go to on the 4th of July, but it is really just a large mud hole in the middle of farm fields- not exactly the same as going boating on some alpine lake in the mountains.
You sound like a horrible photographer.

Old 01-30-2014, 05:01 PM

13,351 posts, read 39,954,509 times
And now we see why negative threads are not allowed. This one is closed.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.