Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2015, 09:16 AM

3,278 posts, read 5,368,509 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1984 View Post
This place is Fool's Gold. I sounded a lot like you before I came out here and the first few months out here, but figured out that Denver is the creation of slick marketing. It is a very simple and slow place. It is a massive suburb with little to no culture. It is basically a high altitude, hipster version of Indianapolis with decent weather.

The truth is that this city is composed of Type B's that cannot handle big, international cities (NYC, LA, SF,Chicago, etc.) and people from rural areas that think it is a big city. That might be a good fit for you, and if so great, but I am on a different wave length from these people. I'm hurried and probably come across as rude because I am very direct. Nobody here speaks their mind and they plod around. It drives me crazy.

Traffic sucks because they don't know how to drive a car. It is even worse when it snows because 90% of the time they don't plow, so snow + bad drivers= hilarity and danger. The roads also frequently ice up. The Front Range mountains and the outdoor recreation are overrated and overcrowded (hiking with dozens, if not hundreds of other people ruins the point of hiking for me and 90% of the hikes are the same...up a hill/mountain...the good mountains are 3+ hours away). It is very much an employers market out here i.e. finding an entry level or even some middle level jobs that pay a living wage outside of the STEM industries is very difficult, and it is even tougher if you have a personality similar to mine because you'll be an outsider. The traits I have aren't shamed to the same degree back in Chicago. Also, rent is skyrocketing.

In general a good analogy to sum it up, you'd be paying porterhouse prices for top round beef. I know I can easily come across as cynical. I am not. I am being open and honest with the OP and anybody else that is thinking about moving out here.
This is very accurate.

Not to mention, Denver attitudes suck. Everyone think's they're God's gift to man and is very self righteous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2015, 03:17 PM

5,649 posts, read 5,939,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandalorian View Post
This is very accurate.

Not to mention, Denver attitudes suck. Everyone think's they're God's gift to man and is very self righteous.
I wonder why that is? Odd.

I do know that Colorado natives are a big bunch of stuck up snobs, driving around with their stupid "NATIVE" fake license plates on just so everyone can see theyre natives.

Old 02-21-2017, 07:58 PM

25 posts, read 23,037 times
Hi caverunner 17,
I'm curious... Did you make the move & if so, what do you think of Denver? I'm considering a move to Denver from Indy. (Lived in Chicago- Lincoln Park- for 3 years a while back as well) I'm in a somewhat similar situation where I feel pretty settled here, even own a home, but love the outdoors & Indy doesn't offer what CO offers for outdoor activity. I telework & travel for my job, so wouldn't have to worry about making a change as far as that goes. Thanks for any input you may have (or anyone else)!

Old 02-21-2017, 09:42 PM

8,602 posts, read 14,821,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky2224 View Post
Hi caverunner 17,
I'm curious... Did you make the move & if so, what do you think of Denver? I'm considering a move to Denver from Indy. (Lived in Chicago- Lincoln Park- for 3 years a while back as well) I'm in a somewhat similar situation where I feel pretty settled here, even own a home, but love the outdoors & Indy doesn't offer what CO offers for outdoor activity. I telework & travel for my job, so wouldn't have to worry about making a change as far as that goes. Thanks for any input you may have (or anyone else)!
Caverunner17 did indeed move here. Hopefully he sees your post and can provide insight. From what I've seen in the Colorado forum and subforums he's enjoying it for the most part so far.

Old 02-22-2017, 09:51 AM

1,778 posts, read 2,873,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
I wonder why that is? Odd.

I do know that Colorado natives are a big bunch of stuck up snobs, driving around with their stupid "NATIVE" fake license plates on just so everyone can see theyre natives.
There aren't enough natives left in Colorado to make a difference. Most of us moved to California years ago. We have one of the lowest "native born" populations in the country. I believe only 34% of the total population was born here. Take away infants from that number and it's less than 20%. This is a VERY transient state. Unlike states in the east, nobody seems to be born, grow-up and retire here, generation after generation. Such is quite common as in the Southie area of Boston for example. I think that also impacts the "friendliness" factor of Colorado too. By the time you get to know your neighbor, they move.

Old 02-22-2017, 10:03 AM

2,798 posts, read 2,668,488 times
Well, I've lived in Colorado now for 20+ years, and I've seldom met any of the stuck up natives that people are complaining about.

Old 02-22-2017, 11:39 AM

1,907 posts, read 3,218,877 times
Go for it man! Sounds like your family is staying put in Chicago. Try it out for a while. If it dosent work out you can always go back.

Old 02-22-2017, 12:21 PM

1,778 posts, read 2,873,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarsMac View Post
Well, I've lived in Colorado now for 20+ years, and I've seldom met any of the stuck up natives that people are complaining about.
Thank you!

Old 02-22-2017, 12:56 PM

2,798 posts, read 2,668,488 times
I say, "Go for it." If after a couple of years of exploring and working here, you find you haven't made any friends, and you can't be yourself, you can go back to Chicago with plenty of stories to tell your friends.

I'm fairly introverted, myself, and I get along fine here.

Old 02-22-2017, 01:57 PM

524 posts, read 712,081 times
I am torn about Colorado too. I love the mountains and the weather (all 4 seasons); however, people don't seem to be friendly in Denver and Boulder. The cost of living is rising.

I also love Minnesota but I don't think I could handle bone-chilling winters. Minnesotans are also friendlier but reserved compared to the southerners.

All places I like (Austin, TX; Pacific Northwest; and Chicago, IL) are either too far or too expensive. Sometime I feel like I am better off staying in Little Rock, Arkansas where pay sucks but we have one of the lowest cost of living in the country.

Last edited by SciFiNerd1; 02-22-2017 at 02:27 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.