Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 09:01 PM

574 posts, read 688,721 times

Advertisements

These are two great cities that i feel are unappreciated. Both are finally gaining population wise again and they also happen to be my favorite cities. I am very interested in seeing in which ways, if any, how these two cities are similar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2014, 09:16 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,727,826 times
Socioeconomically and demographically, they're very similar. There's no racial majority in either city. Chicago is slightly whiter and more Hispanic, and Philadelphia is slightly blacker and more Asian. Both cities have some of the finest neighborhoods in the United States, but also some of the most disgraceful slums. Both cities are seeing massive amounts of investment, but are also struggling to reduce crime. At the metropolitan level, median household income and GDP per capita are both similar. I basically consider Chicago to be like Philadelphia with a bit more elbow room.

Old 01-28-2014, 09:24 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,201,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Socioeconomically and demographically, they're very similar. There's no racial majority in either city. Chicago is slightly whiter and more Hispanic, and Philadelphia is slightly blacker and more Asian. Both cities have some of the finest neighborhoods in the United States, but also some of the most disgraceful slums. Both cities are seeing massive amounts of investment, but are also struggling to reduce crime. At the metropolitan level, median household income and GDP per capita are both similar. I basically consider Chicago to be like Philadelphia with a bit more elbow room.
Good post. I pretty much agree... though I would say, based on 2010 Census data, Chicago is quite a bit more Hispanic (29% CHI vs. 12% PHL), a fair amount less black (33% CHI vs. 43% PHL) and relatively the same amount Asian (5.5% CHI vs. 6.5% PHL).

Philadelphia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Chicago - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 01-28-2014, 09:59 PM

574 posts, read 688,721 times
Great posts! Thanks for the input.

Old 01-28-2014, 10:21 PM

1,449 posts, read 2,185,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Actually Philadelphia is more white, black, and Asian than Chicago but Chicago is a lot more Hispanic.To talk about similarities between the two cities, yes there are some similarities such as the examples that you pointed out but at the same time Philadelphia and Chicago are very different because they are two cities located in different regions of the U.S. with Philadelphia being an quintessential northeastern city and Chicago being an quintessential Midwestern city.

Last edited by nephi215; 01-28-2014 at 11:23 PM..

Old 01-29-2014, 03:35 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,924,934 times
I think there are definitely some similarities and these are two of my favorite cities as well. They both are major cities that offer a ton but have a slight blue collar vibe that keeps things very down to Earth but also with strong Corporate sectors and all that comes with that.

I think Philly and Chicago offer the most bang for your buck of any cities in the country.

Old 01-29-2014, 08:37 AM

32,084 posts, read 34,676,186 times
These cities have a hell of a lot in common.

Subways
Walkable neighborhoods
Tall Buildings
Diversity
Professional Sports Teams
Density
Progressives
Millennials
World-Class Dining
Wealthy People
Yankee Culture
Nightclubs

They're damned near identical.

Old 01-29-2014, 08:59 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,919,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nephi215 View Post
Actually Philadelphia is more white, black, and Asian than Chicago but Chicago is a lot more Hispanic.To talk about similarities between the two cities, yes there are some similarities such as the examples that you pointed out but at the same time Philadelphia and Chicago are very different because they are two cities located in different regions of the U.S. with Philadelphia being an quintessential northeastern city and Chicago being an quintessential Midwestern city.

Imo, they are very diff cities. I saw loads of twin homes in Chicago vs rowhouses here. I saw huge wide streets vs our very narrow alleys and colonial era streets. There is not one hint of any British Colonial history in Chicago vs a lot in Phily.

They are totally different. Philly is much more like Boston and Baltimore than Chicago.

Old 01-29-2014, 09:27 AM

32,084 posts, read 34,676,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Philly is much more like Boston and Baltimore than Chicago.
I find the comparison to Boston insulting. If anything, Philly is more like Richmond.

Old 01-29-2014, 09:32 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,924,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I find the comparison to Boston insulting. If anything, Philly is more like Richmond.
Haha, well Philly is actually a little closer to Richmond, VA distance wise than it is to Boston but I'm pretty sure you're joking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.