Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2017, 08:46 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,739,757 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishIllini View Post
The data doesn't lie, people. On average people make more money in Illinois. Minnesota has a higher state income tax and last I checked property taxes in Minneapolis were on the higher end. Illinois is more affordable than people are willing to admit. Median housing costs in Minneapolis are higher than Chicago. Again, data doesn't lie. If you're really saving 5k a year, you are the exception, not the rule. I say this as someone who is very fond of Minneapolis.
Youre right the data doesn't lie. That's why what you've just said is incorrect:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ates_by_income
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2017, 06:32 PM

1,851 posts, read 2,170,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboys fan in Houston View Post
Youre right the data doesn't lie. That's why what you've just said is incorrect:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ates_by_income
I wasn't saying people in Illinois make more than people in Minnesota. I could have constructed a better sentence. I was saying in general people in Illinois make more money. Minnesota does have a higher median income.

Old 01-03-2017, 08:05 AM

14 posts, read 19,615 times
I live in the south, and the cost of housing (buying or renting) is way out of wack with average pay scale. I am referring to the average worker, which is probably the majority.

Old 01-03-2017, 08:07 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waycar66 View Post
I live in the south, and the cost of housing (buying or renting) is way out of wack with average pay scale. I am referring to the average worker, which is probably the majority.
That is all dependent on your state and metro area. Seeing that you live in Florida, I can totally see it.

Old 01-03-2017, 12:30 PM

1,349 posts, read 1,707,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishIllini View Post
The data doesn't lie, people. On average people make more money in Illinois. Minnesota has a higher state income tax and last I checked property taxes in Minneapolis were on the higher end. Illinois is more affordable than people are willing to admit. Median housing costs in Minneapolis are higher than Chicago. Again, data doesn't lie. If you're really saving 5k a year, you are the exception, not the rule. I say this as someone who is very fond of Minneapolis.
Sorry but no. Apples to apples (SFH in an upper-middle class burb with good schools) this same house would cost 10% more to purchase in comparable Chicago and the prop taxes are about 50% less.

I lived in Illinois for 10 years. Chicago is an absolute value compared to other world-class cities I'll readily admit that. But it's not cheaper COL than the Twin Cities. Again, state-level COL comparisons are irrelevant.

Old 02-21-2017, 07:23 AM

4,792 posts, read 6,053,895 times
We had a discussion about this in the Chicago forum. I for the life of me can't figure out why the South is so idolized by some Northerners. Grass is greener apparently. Don't worry. The South has a way of hitting you with sticker shock in other ways once you are down there and it's too late to change it.

Old 02-21-2017, 07:26 AM

12,837 posts, read 9,552,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
We had a discussion about this in the Chicago forum. I for the life of me can't figure out why the South is so idolized by some Northerners. Grass is greener apparently. Don't worry. The South has a way of hitting you with sticker shock in other ways once you are down there and it's too late to change it.
Conservative?

Old 02-21-2017, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Conservative?
Many of them are, yes. White conservatives of the North can look South and see some bastion of awesomeness. Is this universal? Of course not. Bit again, grass is greener.

Old 02-21-2017, 08:00 AM

12,837 posts, read 9,552,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
Many of them are, yes. White conservatives of the North can look South and see some bastion of awesomeness. Is this universal? Of course not. Bit again, grass is greener.
I think conservatives tend to love the south jsut like liberals tend to love the Bos-Wash corridor and the west coast. Birds of a feather, and there's nothing wrong with it to be honest.

Old 02-21-2017, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
I think conservatives tend to love the south jsut like liberals tend to love the Bos-Wash corridor and the west coast. Birds of a feather, and there's nothing wrong with it to be honest.
True but numbers aren't subjective. Low cost of living isn't necessarily true compared to the North. If you make 33% less, are you really saving on COL? If you want to be around more White conservatives and less Latinos, that's fine. But it's not necessarily going to be cheaper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.