Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2014, 10:14 PM

1,574 posts, read 5,114,620 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxie89 View Post
I should tell you the Newscasters in the United States emulate the Canadian accent because of how neutral it is. Many newcasters working in the U.S are in fact Canadian hired due to their neutral accent. Little known fact.
?
"That" accent which is the newscasters accent in America, is "General American", heard most prevalently in states such as Nebraska and Iowa. It is noticeably distinct from the Canadian accent.
If there are Canadians in the US who don't sound like Canadians, I'd say Pamela Anderson. She has completely lost any semblance of Canadian accent, figured she has been in California so long now. Justin Bieber actually sounds very American now too, I think.

Old 02-06-2014, 01:00 AM

2,096 posts, read 4,773,757 times
I don't understand why Canadians are so ashamed/in denial of their accents. I actually prefer the way they sound - American accents can often sound unsophisticated and hickish to me, even the "general" variety of them. Canadian accents sound more enunciated and strong to me while the American way of speaking sounds slurred, submissive and indecisive. Especially the "valley girl" mode of talking that's been a big thing over the past 25-35 years.

Anyhow I think the alleged receding of Canadian accents is overstated. Yes older Canadians have more distinct accents, but I'd say in general people's accents become more distinct to where they are from as they get older. And I see no reason why younger Canadians won't sound like their parents and grandparents as they age. I also think older Americans have what I'd consider stronger "American accents".

Children tend to have less noticeable accents than adults because they are learning how to talk and on some level just sound "like kids".

Old 02-06-2014, 01:04 AM

I was oat and aboat in Caanaadaa and ay drank melk oat of your bayg, soary is that alreet? I dedent knooo you haad melk in baygs aap in Cheronno, that's a faany thing eh?

Old 02-06-2014, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
No one is "opting" for anything. It's a natural change, I think personally it's because nowadays people are so connected as it's easy to travel and communicate through social media (things like Skype for example). We aren't so separated as regions or countries and people move frequently. It's not uncommon to find someone from California going to college in New York for example then choosing to stay. Accents are changing and decreasing but I still sound different than a Southerner or a Canadian or a Brit or even a Californian (with the so called "general accent" ). It just may not be as dramatic as it used to be.

Even the New Jersey accent, so stereotyped, isn't the same as it used to be.

I don't really see how Skype would influence accents. I mean I don't think most people use it more than say, half an hour a month on average at most? and it's only been around what maybe 8 years or so?

Perhaps television indirectly levels out accents because children learn words from it and pronounce them in a certain way (like noospaper vs nyuspaper for instance), but I still think their older peers are going to be more of an influence on their speech patterns than Hollywood television programs.

Old 02-06-2014, 09:34 AM

142 posts, read 219,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1000 View Post
Girl, you do have an accent! You may not think so, but you sure do. If you think you don't just because you're talkin' Valley-style like the girls you see on American tv, then ok most certainly your parents and grandparents have accents. Accents are fascinating.

My ex is Canadian, I've been there many times- and there is a distinct accent. I myself can now tell just by a few words even. Crossing the border from Washington State to Canada, you hear the difference immediately, let alone crossing from Upstate NY to Ontario. It's not even just the vowels, or words like 'out', 'sorry', 'again' etc.

It has a different speech style, more crisp and clipped, and the vowels are most certainly pronounced more strongly. To my ears, some white Canadians sound like a mix of Native-Americans/ Scottish even. When Canadians ask questions, they sound different from Americans, there is more of a lilt whereas Americans end with a down note, hard to explain unless you've spent time in both.
There's also a difference in how high class vs.. lower class Canadians speak I should say. That Scottish/native American sound is only prevalent among the poor in Canada. Us high class Canadians speak entirely different. Perhaps your ex BF came from an impoverished background?

Old 02-06-2014, 09:37 AM

3,051 posts, read 2,596,328 times
Because you guys talk goofy.

Old 02-06-2014, 09:39 AM

28 posts, read 31,960 times
Can we please stop with all these accent threads?

Old 02-06-2014, 09:52 AM

2,496 posts, read 3,369,129 times
I am really not sure how to answer Maxie's question.....Let me think aboot it.

Old 02-06-2014, 09:55 AM

28 posts, read 31,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest1 View Post
I am really not sure how to answer Maxie's question.....Let me think aboot it.
And that's why I don't like these threads. They just turn into which is worse or which is better. I've heard americans sound like hicks and canadians talk silly. That's what these threads generally devolve into.

ps: I've only been to ontario, and from my visit they sounded pretty general american. I think sometimes people just invent the way other sound just to cause pissing contest (aka canadians say aboot or sound like fargo/northern midewesterners, or americans sound like they just walked out of a trailer park)

Old 02-06-2014, 10:55 AM

3,119 posts, read 6,600,730 times
There is one person on Earth who doesn't think Canadians have accents. Maxie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.