Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2007, 09:39 PM

343 posts, read 929,508 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
To me: California reminds me of a huge Petri dish.........

I used to love Calif; but, I hate to admit to this--------I am more 'Conservative' than many folks west of the Colorado River which may explain why I am doing OK here in Arizona

Yes. We Californians generally have a liberal laid-back style. Many california conservatives have moved to the mountain west (AZ, CO, UT, MT).

Unfortunately, Phoenix can't compete on any level with San Francisco. Cheaper I guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2007, 12:46 PM

21,144 posts, read 41,993,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SBCA View Post
Yes. We Californians generally have a liberal laid-back style. Many california conservatives have moved to the mountain west (AZ, CO, UT, MT).

Unfortunately, Phoenix can't compete on any level with San Francisco. Cheaper I guess.
MUCH cheaper:

$600K will get you a nice home in virtually any high end enclave here in the Phx area------and, prices are continuing to drop.

Old 12-02-2007, 12:51 PM

343 posts, read 929,508 times
Quote:
prices are continuing to drop.
If only summer temperatures showed the same pattern.

Old 12-02-2007, 12:58 PM

21,144 posts, read 41,993,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SBCA View Post
If only summer temperatures showed the same pattern.
I had to laugh at that one; despite our ambient temps being higher in the Phx area; I flat fried in DC during the summer with the ghastly humidity-----and, that was on top of the cold, nasty winters.

Old 12-04-2007, 02:53 PM

751 posts, read 1,167,863 times
Phoenix heat is unbearable. I lived there for 3 years and still dislike the place immensely. The only thing I miss about living in Phoenix are the California based places like Del Taco, In n Out Burger, Baja Fresh LOL California based fast food places are great!!

Old 12-04-2007, 03:01 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,109,176 times
Quote:
I had to laugh at that one; despite our ambient temps being higher in the Phx area; I flat fried in DC during the summer with the ghastly humidity-----and, that was on top of the cold, nasty winters.
You dont fry in D.C. like you do in AZ. PHX's temps are way higher than D.C.'s. True D.C. is alot more humid, but at least theyre not subjected to several months of 100 degrees and up, and a months worth of 110 degrees and up. I love when people in AZ try and point out other summer temps from around the country, like theirs are sooooo nice. lol AZ has the second worst summers in the USA, right behind the garbage that Miami experiences.

Old 12-04-2007, 03:16 PM

718 posts, read 2,680,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
You dont fry in D.C. like you do in AZ. PHX's temps are way higher than D.C.'s. True D.C. is alot more humid, but at least theyre not subjected to several months of 100 degrees and up, and a months worth of 110 degrees and up. I love when people in AZ try and point out other summer temps from around the country, like theirs are sooooo nice. lol AZ has the second worst summers in the USA, right behind the garbage that Miami experiences.
yea except the difference between the east coast and arizona is that it is a desert steve-bo. now i do not know how framiliar you are with the way the climate works so ill give it a shot You can sit in 100-110 degrees during the day when you know by the time the bars open at night the temperature is going to drop to 75-85 degrees. Arizona in the summer is not like chicago in the winter where the weather is consisitant. The temperature is never consistantly hot, save the heat waves. Where as in Miami or DC the humidty sticks around day and night so you get no relief. 90 degrees with 90% humidity to a night time temp of 80 degrees and 85% humidity is what you are more likely to see in an dc summer.

Old 10-28-2008, 04:32 PM

243 posts, read 221,653 times
Am from LA, and i love when people from other states glorify CA, but let's be honest. California, yes by far leads the nation in many aspects, but not all!!

One example, like already mentioned is the transportation system. California has a decent transportation system but is not the best! I honestly think there's nothing like chicago and new york's transportation systems.

I think that part of the reason that people glorify CA so much, is because it's unique. We might not always have the best things (and most times, we don't xD), but we are very unique in what we do. Fashion for example, starts here and spreads out, with the exception of NYC!!

Old 10-28-2008, 05:07 PM

103 posts, read 356,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeache View Post
I have been struggling with this idea for a while but it seems to me that California is ahead of the rest of the nation at least 10 years in every single aspect.
Same sex marriage was legalized in MA long before it was in CA. Overall, I think MA is a more progressive state.

You do have the weather though. I'll give you that.

Old 10-28-2008, 07:27 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,292,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boston mark View Post
Same sex marriage was legalized in MA long before it was in CA. Overall, I think MA is a more progressive state.
No, your civilized urban areas just make up more of the overall population.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.