Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Moving home business: advisors per county, telecommuting, chamber of commerce, clients

Old 12-01-2007, 10:20 PM

8 posts, read 24,046 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. I am hoping someone out there can give me some advice with their knowledge of a few states that I am looking into to move with my home based business in mind. I have a home based business that I have been doing since August with not much success. Lots of others around me are having success in the same business but then it's because they are traveling to the southern states to do much of their business. That got me thinking...so I went on the company's website and pulled up a map showing how many Advisors there were for every state. I couldn't believe my eyes! No wonder they're doing great in the south..there's hardly any Advisors! I live in Michigan and we currently have 2,235 Advisors compared to 69 in Oregon and Vermont, 326 in Colorado, and 130 in Idaho. I did my homework and looked into how many counties per state and divided that number by the number of Advisors...Michigan has an average of 33 per county, Oregon has less than 2 per county, Colorado has 5 per county and Vermont has less than 5 per county. Along with Michigan having the worse unemployment rate and thousands of foreclosures etc., it doesn't make sense for me to stay here. I would like to pick up and move to one of these states. I have to think of the business first but the thought of more winters that are even worse than Michigans keep me from giving much thought into Vermont. My eye is more on Idaho and Oregon or Colorado. Idaho is number one in employment and is number 12 in being the safest (very important to me). Does anyone have any knowledge from a business point of view? I have to say that the business I am in is one that I truly love to do and there is much success to be had with it...I don't have much holding me here in Michigan and have little to pack up and take with me. I would have to find a place to rent for me and my 13 yr old son, dogs, cats and birds. So any knowledge on price for renting would be great too. If anyone has any thoughts on the types of people for these states I've mentioned and how polite etc they are would be helpful. From the area in Michigan that I live in now I would have to say that the area is getting bad and a lot of people here just are nice anymore so I look forward to getting away from that sort of thing. Thanks to all that help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2007, 07:13 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,972,421 times
This is the kind of question that you should be asking other people in the same business. Every type of business is different, and they're the only people who can really give you good advice.

FWIW, I run a business from my house. I use the first floor of my house for the business, the second floor for my residence, and the basement for storage. My employees are all from my neighborhood--an important consideration because they need to walk to work. Street parking needs to be saved for clients.

So for me, it is important to be in an area with a fair number of people nearby, and to be relatively near my clients. Even though most of my work is done with telecommuting, my clients like to meet me in person from time to time and they do have to bring me original artwork.

Many of my clients are established through community involvement. So it is also important for me to belong to the type of community that does a lot of charity activities, that has chamber of commerce breakfasts, etc. A growing community that is building schools and parks is the perfect locale for my business.

But your situation could be completely different. We don't know much about the nature of your business (and it's not appropriate for you to tell us very much--this forum has strict rules about anything that could be interpreted as marketing). So, my advice is to ask people in your business world.

Old 12-02-2007, 07:38 AM

Thank you so much for responding. Yes my type of business is very different from yours and I would like to post in the appropriate forum but I am having the worst time trying to figure this site out! How do I post in the business forum? It took me forever to figure out how to post at all! Any help would be great...thanks!

Old 12-02-2007, 07:40 AM

Wow...Okay never mind...I just found out how to do it..that was quick! LOL ...going to the business section now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.