Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2014, 11:17 AM

1,901 posts, read 3,085,140 times

Advertisements

The most humid months in Philly are September and October and they cap out around 83% humidity, which is higher than I'd like but its not too terrible. I've taken Philadelphia off of our list though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2014, 11:21 AM

3,874 posts, read 4,695,825 times
August is awful in nearby Baltimore & D.C. too.
How much winter cold are you willing to take?

Old 02-12-2014, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atler8 View Post
August is awful in nearby Baltimore & D.C. too.
How much winter cold are you willing to take?
I've lived in the South my entire life so truly cold winters would be new for me, but I'm willing to deal with a couple months of snow and freezing temps. I don't think it will be that big of an issue. Maybe I'm being naive.

I see you're from Jonesboro, so its also worth mentioning that Atlanta is on our list...a little far down, but its on there. I'm familiar with the average humidity there and its bearable.

Old 02-12-2014, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivalavida89 View Post
I don't see it suggested anywhere else in this thread, but have you considered Pittsburgh? I grew up in the Baltimore area, but lived in Pittsburgh for college and found that the humidity is much worse in MD than Pittsburgh. It also fits the small-medium city criteria much better than Philly, and as a Ravens fan, I can tell you there is NO shortage in team/city pride. It also has been recognized recently for affordable housing.
Wow. So far I'm really impressed by what I've seen about Pittsburgh. Thanks for the suggestion

Old 02-12-2014, 12:25 PM

6,350 posts, read 11,585,299 times
I'm not Mutiny77 but I assume he was responding to this:

Quote:
young family who love a smaller, urban city rich with culture, history, ethnic diversity, good food, music etc....with a drier climate
In your original post.

But i agree with the others that Pgh is a great choice. Not sure about the schools but you could maybe afford private schools. Pgh is very different from NO but they both have a gritty vibe, great houses, and TONS of character.

Old 02-12-2014, 04:06 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,334,414 times
I guess I'm being ignored. That's okay, but my advice was sound. That's all that matters.

Old 02-12-2014, 08:02 PM

93,239 posts, read 123,876,708 times
I wonder if Minneapolis or St Paul would work?

Old 02-12-2014, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Well, you asked for dry and character-filled. Fort Worth fits the bill. Austin may also work. I say why not settle for some familiar territory and still be within relative proximity to New Orleans. I know several former Texans who have found their "greener pastures" simply abhor the idea of returning to their home state, but surely we aren't all that bad to live with.

The further west you go, the further from New Orleans you'll be and the more expensive it will likely get. In most of the Eastern US you'll be dealing with cities that are a) still too humid, b) too large, c) too small, or d) too boring for you.

Or maybe you should shoot for Denver. I have a friend from New Orleans who lives there now and swears he'll never live in Louisiana again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
I guess I'm being ignored. That's okay, but my advice was sound. That's all that matters.
LOL. I wasn't ignoring you intentionally. Somehow I missed your post entirely.

I've thought several times about Austin because of its quirky nature and being the "live-music capitol"...don't know how true that is though.

From what I've seen of Denver, it looks kind of....rustic? Or am I completely wrong?

Old 02-12-2014, 08:53 PM

1,772 posts, read 3,518,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly Gentilly View Post
I've lived in the South my entire life so truly cold winters would be new for me, but I'm willing to deal with a couple months of snow and freezing temps. I don't think it will be that big of an issue. Maybe I'm being naive.
As someone who moved to Minneapolis after growing up in Arizona, I can attest that winters in the North aren't that bad. Many --myself included -- find the cold refreshing and invigorating, and I'd move back to Minneapolis or Chicago in a heartbeat.

Old 02-12-2014, 09:37 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,926,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly Gentilly View Post
Why??
Because it fits most of your criteria. It's about the same size as NOLA but located farther inland and is pretty underrated in terms of character, vibrancy, arts, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.