U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2014, 01:17 PM

4,913 posts, read 7,377,283 times

Advertisements

Any city that's a big tourist destination will be place that's easy to talk to strangers, because so many of the tourists are always asking question to the locals, whether on the street, in a bar or restaurant, the bus (or subway), a ball game, any of the many places visitors and natives might mingle. This has happened to me countless times in NYC, as well as when I'm in DC, Chicago, Boston, San Francisco, Montreal, or Seattle--which isn't a major tourist destination, but it still has happened. I'd guess this would be true even more so in places like Las Vegas or Orlando, which are prime areas for tourists.

OTOH, I've also been in small towns when traveling by car in the country and often have been able to strike up conversations at rest stops or restaurants or whatever, so maybe it's more to do with the individuals one meets than the place one meets them. And it's probably a LOT easier for a good looking girl to strike up a conversation anywhere!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2014, 01:45 PM

4,693 posts, read 5,236,528 times
I lived in Las Vegas for several decades. Tourists are generally friendly and fun, while locals tend to be mean as Hell.

Old 02-08-2014, 03:03 PM

6,610 posts, read 7,788,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceter View Post
New Orleans people are friendly until they get behind the wheel. LOL
...or until someone pulls a knife.

Old 02-08-2014, 06:36 PM

7 posts, read 5,642 times
I remember reading somewhere that there was a poll for this question and I believe Charleston South Carolina won it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.