Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2014, 10:08 AM

45,319 posts, read 60,489,441 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyme4878 View Post
Don't forget the need for"low crime", as in "can you guarantee there is never, ever, any teeny, weenie bit of crime ANYWHERE."

Or, "I've heard that ________ has a lot of meth labs." Literally every smaller city and town is meth capital USA for these people!
Meth is so 2013, it's now heroin (use of which has skyrocketed). I was at a meeting the other night where a resident was claiming that the middle of the marsh behind her house had a bunch of needles scattered around. I told her if that was really the case then the junkies were still there too because once you walk into that marsh you don't walk out. She was unhappy with me, there was another agenda at work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2014, 10:20 AM

9,961 posts, read 17,511,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
That happens so often. They ask questions but if you don't give them the right answer they get all pi$$y. Why ask in the first place? All they want is validation about which they have already made up their minds.

Heaven forbid anyone should tell this type, no matter how gently, their assumptions are wrong and they probably would not be a "good fit" as they often like to call it. How dare anyone burst their bubble!
There's always the situation where people ask for honest answers about a city they are curious about and then when people living in the city answer honestly but don't provide the answers they want to hear, suddenly they start making judgements about the people who live there.

"Oh, it sounds like everyone is surly and unfriendly in this city from these comments."

When in fact people are just being honest, but while it's okay for the poster to speak their mind, when anyone else does they find it unpolite.

And then people always fall back on the "Well, people are really friendly and easy to meet back on the streets of _____ and speak their mind, but everyone in ____ seems to be jerks." Because when people back home are straight-forward and opinionated it's always good honest folks, but when people in the new city speak their mind it's always "rude" or they don't say enough and are "passive-aggressive".

People get so hyperbolic about people from city to city on here, there's no city in the US that is solely made up of jerks, that's ridiculous. While social interaction varies, I find about the same ratio of jerks to nice people in most places when you get down to it, it's basically how loud and upfront people might be that differs.

Old 02-22-2014, 10:27 AM

7 posts, read 7,419 times
thanks for the above. Totally agree.

Old 02-22-2014, 02:53 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,006,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
A poster on the Denver forum was referred to this thread, and she asked "why"? Ah, to see ourselves as others see us.
Smart move.

Good topic.

I was just thinking this topic should be stickied. Then whenever any other forum gets one of those insane posts they can be given a reply that simply says:

"Look here: //www.city-data.com/forum/gener...ld-i-live.html "

Old 02-22-2014, 03:04 PM

4,861 posts, read 9,303,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Since I posted our "We need a new sticky thread" from the Jersey forum here, we've gotten a couple more people who want a short commute to Manhattan, great schools, suburban living, and cheap rent/house prices.

It doesn't exist. It just does NOT exist.

It's as if some of these people took a job in NYC and said to themselves, "HEY, I have a GREAT idea! I'll live in NEW JERSEY AND COMMUTE--NO ONE BUT ME HAS EVER THOUGHT OF THIS!"

Then they want to know why they can't get to work in half an hour. Um, because a couple hundred thousand other people just like you are trying to cross that river at the same time...
And this leads us to those threads in which people are ticked off because other people wanted the same things that they wanted and are making their lives all difficult because of it. It's this attitude like, "Hmph! Just because I want to have a short commute to NYC, why should all these other people be here, wanting the same thing and driving up the congestion and cost of living because of it??? Get them OUTTA here! Me, me, ME!!!!"

I believe these are also referred to as the "Let me in and then lock the door behind me!" posts. You tend to see these posts in forums for places that attract a huge number of transplants, such as NYC, Charleston, SC, Charlotte, NC, or basically any city in California or Florida. They go something like this:

"OMG! I cannot BELIEVE how all these #&@@#& transplants are ______ing up my commute to work!" (even though the poster, themself, was a transplant only six months ago). "You should see how backed up Highway XYZ is in the mornings, nothing but bumper to bumper, all the way into the city! Why in the #@&# did all these damn people have to move down here, anyway? GO HOME!!!!" (the poster, of course, being that rare exception, because they simply BELONG there and have a right to be there, unlike everyone else).

Last edited by canudigit; 02-22-2014 at 03:17 PM..

Old 02-22-2014, 09:39 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,431,197 times
I am super cool but where I live now, nobody gets me. I want to move to a place where all the other super cool people will. You know who you are.

I can't get a date in my present city but I just know if I move to yours the women/men will be flocking to my door.

I have had ten jobs here within two years so I am certain I will be able to find work there.

I am willing to take an "anything" job to support myself. So I know I will be just fine.

I am posting on CD because I am a special little snowflake and I am sure someone out there will invite me to stay with them until I get on my feet. Those "anything" jobs don't pay very much.

I just know that moving to a new town is the answer to all my problems.

Old 02-23-2014, 12:48 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,476,200 times
What a great thread! So much fun to vent without fear of getting in trouble

The ones that make me sad are the ones that describe a great life where they are, but they're thinking of moving to the SF Bay Area for a great career move. I see it often on the SF Bay Area forums. We live in X state, in a 3000 sq ft SFH on an acre with a pool, with good jobs (but we're bored and going nowhere in our jobs), a ten minute commute and great schools for our 3 kids. We'll be able to sell our great life for about $300,000 to move to SF for a job making $50,000 more a year than where we are now.

So, they'll be bringing $300,000 to an area where fairly decent houses for a large family in fairly decent neighborhoods with fairly decent schools are going for at least $800,000.

They have the holy grail of the American Dream right now where they are, and it's not enough...then they can't believe they can't afford to buy anything in the SF Bay Area with decent schools, in a safe area, etc., etc., and you see their posts slowly figuring out that the type of home they absolutely had to have with a pool and a decent school system, means an hour and a half commute at least. Then they start asking, but isn't this affordable area an okay commute, after being told several times that it's not, and that the schools aren't good there, and you can just hear their brains hurting from the truth....but they KNOW this is the right move for their family...

I just think it's sad, when you know they will be making a big mistake, and are probably going to do it anyway, in spite of lots of advice not to do it.

The ones that really irritate the bejesus out of me, are the ones that ask the "can I make it on this salary in SF?"

For Goodness sake. I can live on next to nothing. So, when I see these posters ask if they can live on $115,000 with bonuses and stock options, etc., in the SF Bay Area, who are single with no kids, I want to scream! I sure as hell could! But, their expectations of what they want to be able to do with that much money are insane! As this entire thread has pointed out, they are the ones who want to live a SF lifestyle without the SF prices or the commute from the area that they CAN afford.

So, other transplants tell them, no! You can't live in the SF Bay Area on only $115,000/year! Don't do it! It's like these guys have no concept of priorities and/or sacrifices. They want it all! They want to be the SF millionaires, on "only" $150,000/year.

Anyway, what a stupid question to ask people. How do I know how you handle your finances? Give me your $100,000 and see how much fun I can have...and all my friends, too .

I'm starting to get snarky with these posters, so I think it's time to stay away from these threads, lol! One recent poster on the CA forum asked where the cheap apartments are in CA. I said, um well the cheapest housing would be under the bridges....

Old 02-23-2014, 06:22 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,673,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
And this leads us to those threads in which people are ticked off because other people wanted the same things that they wanted and are making their lives all difficult because of it. It's this attitude like, "Hmph! Just because I want to have a short commute to NYC, why should all these other people be here, wanting the same thing and driving up the congestion and cost of living because of it??? Get them OUTTA here! Me, me, ME!!!!"

I believe these are also referred to as the "Let me in and then lock the door behind me!" posts. You tend to see these posts in forums for places that attract a huge number of transplants, such as NYC, Charleston, SC, Charlotte, NC, or basically any city in California or Florida. They go something like this:

"OMG! I cannot BELIEVE how all these #&@@#& transplants are ______ing up my commute to work!" (even though the poster, themself, was a transplant only six months ago). "You should see how backed up Highway XYZ is in the mornings, nothing but bumper to bumper, all the way into the city! Why in the #@&# did all these damn people have to move down here, anyway? GO HOME!!!!" (the poster, of course, being that rare exception, because they simply BELONG there and have a right to be there, unlike everyone else).

I laughed out loud at this. I grew up in an area about 30 miles northwest of NYC. There were small towns, lots of wooded areas, a few small farms. Then, in the 80s, and 90s, developers started buying up the old farms and woodlands and just built endless McMansion developments. In a short period of times, hordes of people from the city and the more urban Jersey areas moved in. The character of that part of the county completely changed.

I worked with one of the former residents of Bayonne who had moved into one of the formerly-small towns, and she moaned and complained every day about the traffic on the main highway and how it was bumper-to-bumper and took her forever to get to her train station...I used to just sail down that road in the morning before people like her moved in! I mentioned that once to her, and she seemed shocked at the idea that she could be considered part of the problem.

Old 02-23-2014, 02:51 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,458,154 times
The ones that get me the most are:

"I wanna live near a very dense urban city, close to all the amenities and entertainment, but the area can have no crime what so ever and have to be top notch public schools! Oh and my budget is 170,000 for a 4000 sqft home, has to be in the budget!"

"I want to live in a large urban city with a great downtown area and young singles. It has to be be close to the water, ocean, and scenery. But there can be any liberals what so ever" tht one always gets me.

Old 02-23-2014, 03:08 PM

45,319 posts, read 60,489,441 times
I'm looking for a liberal small town (no more than 2000 people) with a non-religious outlook. Prefer one with no churches whatsoever. Must also be near a university and have regular cultural events. Diversity is a must. Major hospital nearby is also preferred. If in farming area the farmers must practice sustainable, organic procedures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.