Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2014, 02:58 PM

1,640 posts, read 2,654,825 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SorryNanny View Post
Really? I thought that Tennessee was outside of tornado alley.
Yes, it is; however, it's situated at the heart of what's called "Dixie Alley," which is an even more dangerous high tornadic activity region than Tornado Alley, mostly because it averages more tornado-related deaths.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2014, 01:29 AM

9,468 posts, read 10,794,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8to32characters View Post
Yes, it is; however, it's situated at the heart of what's called "Dixie Alley," which is an even more dangerous high tornadic activity region than Tornado Alley, mostly because it averages more tornado-related deaths.

Middle and West Tennessee have more tornado issues, but here in east Tennessee the mountains get us a bit of a break. The OP is in Ohio, a state notorious for terrible tornado issues. East Tennessee has far less tornados than most of Ohio. West Tennessee is a different story, lots of twisters over there.

Old 02-22-2014, 08:42 AM

54 posts, read 75,619 times
Check out Portland, OR. I hear a lot of good feedback from transplants about how mild the winters are here compared to the Midwest or the East Coast.

Beware, though: As the locals will tell you, it's best t o come with a job already in hand!

Old 02-22-2014, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
Middle and West Tennessee have more tornado issues, but here in east Tennessee the mountains get us a bit of a break. The OP is in Ohio, a state notorious for terrible tornado issues. East Tennessee has far less tornados than most of Ohio. West Tennessee is a different story, lots of twisters over there.
Tennessee has tons of tornadoes in addition to colder, icier winters than Western cities such as Phoenix, Tucson, and Albuquerque.

Who wants to deal with ice storms and snow storms in the winter and then tornadoes in the spring and summer? I think that's where the disconnect is occurring.

Old 02-22-2014, 03:03 PM

2,096 posts, read 4,773,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristinePDX View Post
Check out Portland, OR. I hear a lot of good feedback from transplants about how mild the winters are here compared to the Midwest or the East Coast.

Beware, though: As the locals will tell you, it's best t o come with a job already in hand!
Mild yes. But they are very long and gloomy, lasting from late October to April. It just depends whether 25 degrees and snow or 40 degrees and rain is more your cup of tea.

Old 02-22-2014, 04:54 PM

1,250 posts, read 3,604,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belmont22 View Post
Mild yes. But they are very long and gloomy, lasting from late October to April. It just depends whether 25 degrees and snow or 40 degrees and rain is more your cup of tea.
Key word gloomy. Who likes that?

That's why New Mexico is so good, very sunny winters,
parts of NM average over 70% of possible sunshine even in January,
in winter NM is sunnier than California (rainy season CA).

Las Cruces average high in January is 60, and only 95 in July (not 105 like Phoenix or Vegas).

Old 02-23-2014, 09:36 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,123,322 times
Quote:
Tennessee has tons of tornadoes in addition to colder, icier winters than Western cities such as Phoenix, Tucson, and Albuquerque.

Who wants to deal with ice storms and snow storms in the winter and then tornadoes in the spring and summer? I think that's where the disconnect is occurring.
Perspective.
As someone who has lived in both the far western portion and far north eastern portion of TN all I can say is ...what????
West TN> Tornadoes yes, fairly regular. Ice, occasionally as temps hover right around the freeze point in the coldest part of winter, wet streets may turn icy as the temps dip at night. More of a problem than snow which is seldom seen.
Northeast TN> Tornadoes, seldom. Ice, seldom, since the temps don't hang around jumping between just above and below freezing. Snow storms... well we did get about 6-8 inches over a two day period a week or so ago, enough to build a decent snowman for the first time in the six years I've been here.We finally sold all the sleds that had been in our stockroom for years, and people took a ton of pictures to remember the occasion by.
Usually it's more along the lines of a light dusting, where you take your broom out and sweep it off your steps, or you simply wait a few hours for the sun to melt it away for you.

Coming from Ohio I don't think the OP would consider TN quite so dreadful as you seem to view it.

Old 02-23-2014, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Perspective.
As someone who has lived in both the far western portion and far north eastern portion of TN all I can say is ...what????
West TN> Tornadoes yes, fairly regular. Ice, occasionally as temps hover right around the freeze point in the coldest part of winter, wet streets may turn icy as the temps dip at night. More of a problem than snow which is seldom seen.
Northeast TN> Tornadoes, seldom. Ice, seldom, since the temps don't hang around jumping between just above and below freezing. Snow storms... well we did get about 6-8 inches over a two day period a week or so ago, enough to build a decent snowman for the first time in the six years I've been here.We finally sold all the sleds that had been in our stockroom for years, and people took a ton of pictures to remember the occasion by.
Usually it's more along the lines of a light dusting, where you take your broom out and sweep it off your steps, or you simply wait a few hours for the sun to melt it away for you.

Coming from Ohio I don't think the OP would consider TN quite so dreadful as you seem to view it.
You're missing my point as well as the OP's.

The OP explicitly stated he/she doesn't want to deal with cold weather in addition to snow and ice. I'm telling the OP that they would have to deal with all of the above should they move to Tennessee in addition to relatively frequent tornadoes, at least by national standards.

Years ago, I moved to the Atlanta area during the colder part of the year, and although not quite Tennessee, it's close enough to draw comparisons with regard to winter weather. In fact, the Atlanta area may be warmer than most of Eastern and Middle Tennessee. FWIW, I hightailed it back to Florida after only six months (October-April) because it was simply way too cold, icy, and dreary for my liking.

I moved to Florida from New England, where I was born and raised, years ago because I, too, was sick of cold weather, snow, and ice. The winter I spent in Atlanta, in no time, reminded me of why I moved to Florida in the first place, and it confirmed that I don't belong in a place with cold winters. A few years after I moved back to Florida, I moved to Southern California instead, which has much better winters than Tennessee or Georgia, simply because I needed a chance, hence the reason why I moved to Atlanta in the first place.

Lots of people aren't too forthcoming about the cold winters in states such as Tennessee, Georgia, and North Carolina. It's interesting, to say the least.

Old 02-23-2014, 09:45 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,223,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristinePDX View Post

The OP asked for a COL equivalent to Ohio, I don't think she'll find that in Portland.

Old 02-23-2014, 10:39 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,201,315 times
Quote:
You're missing my point as well as the OP's.

The OP explicitly stated he/she doesn't want to deal with cold weather in addition to snow and ice. I'm telling the OP that they would have to deal with all of the above should they move to Tennessee in addition to relatively frequent tornadoes, at least by national standards.

Lots of people aren't too forthcoming about the cold winters in states such as Tennessee, Georgia, and North Carolina. It's interesting, to say the least.
No, the OP actually did not say any of that. The OP specifically said this and nothing else regarding snow and ice:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryGirl1023 View Post

I love love Ohio, beautiful state and all but now I think I need to trash my dream early living in Ohio and move somewhere with milder winters. Snow ok no prob but temps mild in 40's for the winter or 30's is not too bad for me. Where snow melts in a day or few days once in awhile.
(emphasis added)

I interpreted that to mean she is fine with snow as long as it only sticks around for a day or two and then melts. Which makes me think a place like Tennessee would in fact fit her criteria.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.