Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2014, 06:36 PM

6,359 posts, read 8,833,185 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDBaumgardner View Post
Well, coming from a Chicago 'an, I am very surprised to read your statement, but also pleased to hear somebody else call out and appreciate the incredible legacies of Cleveland ...

Chicago is also an incredible city; however, I agree that Cleveland remains a very original, gritty and still a quite muscular city.

Thank you, for being so objective in your response.
i think a lot of people actually agree with me about cleveland, john. i really hate the "ranking mentality" we have about cities; it's absurd. they stand on their own and who needs the comparison….they all have something to offer.

I live in Chicago's north suburbs. I love going into the city. It's a great experience. But on the basis of a short drive and being "basically in the area" (no road trip to speak of), I can go the other direction, north to Milwaukee, which is a super place. Like Chicago and Cleveland, it has a great lakefront and a nice urban buzz all its own. Can I find more things to do in Chicago? sure. But Milwaukee has plenty to do. Can I find a stress free, easy to drive and park, easy negotiate experience in Chicago? Hell, no. Like NYC, it's not for the feint of heart, and, heck, we all have times of being feint of heart. Milwaukee? an absolute breeze in comparison, easy access, pleasant. People don't realize how many great cities there are in the midwest. heck, i'm of the opinion that the absolutely, unquestionable, best of mid-sized cities in the US in right smack in the midwest: Madison!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2014, 07:55 AM

1,535 posts, read 2,372,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CravingMountains View Post
Chicago is fading away into irrelevancy with each passing decade. No one wants to visit. No one wants to move there! Its a shame that the city still has enough clout that a poor soul has to relocate there for work every now and then, but with the cities sky high unemployment rate that appears to be subsiding as well.
I agree the winter is just a killer for most people. And once you get past Michigan ave westward, it is pretty ugly, flat and just not pleasant. The best part of Chicago is the lake front, but it definitely comes with a price and the way the lake is frozen it probably won't be thawed out until July.

Old 02-23-2014, 09:59 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Can see Cape May NJ but why Avalon - love Avalon but curious on why it sticks out
El Dorado, Avalon and Valhalla are named after well-known places from ancient legends -- making them "legendary" .

Old 02-23-2014, 11:11 AM

4,209 posts, read 4,745,125 times
Atlanta

Old 02-23-2014, 11:41 AM

934 posts, read 1,441,193 times
Cities with a draw, a certain je ne sais quoi to me would be...

New York: a crossroads for the world, culture, and energy, iconic landmarks
Los Angeles: entertainment capital, legendary magnet for aspiring artists
Chicago: history of grandeur & power, sheer world influence in industry, theater, architecture (etc)

Old 02-23-2014, 12:28 PM

3,071 posts, read 8,023,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefallensrvnge View Post
Cities with a draw, a certain je ne sais quoi to me would be...

New York: a crossroads for the world, culture, and energy, iconic landmarks
Los Angeles: entertainment capital, legendary magnet for aspiring artists
Chicago: history of grandeur & power, sheer world influence in industry, theater, architecture (etc)
Yes, while the first two choices are understood, Chicago is really underrated in this category. People forget its great industrial might, science firsts, the architectural contributions, the city of Big Shoulders! Someday I hope to travel there and see the museums I would enjoy as I've heard about them for years.

Old 02-25-2014, 03:52 AM

11 posts, read 17,359 times
Miami

Old 02-25-2014, 03:56 AM

11 posts, read 17,359 times
Detroit not number 1?

Old 02-25-2014, 04:44 AM

462 posts, read 720,407 times
This is my personal view:

Los Angeles (TV & movies, beaches, and the works - an upgrade on NYC in the fame and glamor dep't)

New York (it's big, and has a lot of prestige, everything else you can think of in a city)

Miami (beaches, hurricanes, Everglades & gators, "cool" factor)

New Orleans (music, history, unique, compact, surrounded by swampland and water like a moat)

Chicago (Al Capone, the Great Fire, John Hughes movies)

Washington, DC (the nation's capital)

Atlanta (cable TV, Gone with the Wind, a mini-NYC for the South, sports teams, WCW, an original Six Flags, my birthplace...)

Nashville (country music, history)

Memphis (rock music, blues, riverboats, Elvis, etc.)

San Francisco (famous Victorian houses, hills, bay, Golden Gate Bridge, earthquakes, the 60s, gold rush)

Dallas (JR Ewing, Cowboys & oil, the other original Six Flags)

Orlando (theme parks, space launches just to the east, lakes, Florida orange groves around the city)

Last edited by Hamtonfordbury; 02-25-2014 at 04:59 AM..

Old 02-25-2014, 05:58 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,833,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamtonfordbury View Post
Los Angeles an upgrade on NYC in the fame and glamor dep't)
classic line. love it. hey, i'm happy to see Jimmy Fallon take the tonight show back to Manhattan and it should do well there; but LA is more of where it is happening. Yes, it is perfectly acceptable to speak of LA (btw, america's most diverse city) in the same breathe as we speak of NY.

start spreading the news. i'm leaving today. i want to be a part of it, LA, CA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.