Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2007, 06:30 PM

160 posts, read 342,553 times

Advertisements

I currently study medicine and I'm wondering how it is to be a doctor in USA..
I mean, what is their avarage salary and how big/small it is compared with avarage American's salary. And what about prestige of this profession?
I've read that doctors are doing pretty well in you country..
Say, in my country this profession is lower than dog's ****. It has some prestige but the salary is definately not worth of those efforts you must take to become a doctor..

P.S. I hope you'll forgive me my grammar mistakes 'cause it's 3:28 A.M. and I'm pretty tired.
P.P.S. Oh, and do not worry - I'm not going to emigrate to your country and take away jobs from Americans.

Last edited by paparaciii; 12-02-2007 at 07:17 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2007, 11:25 PM

1,528 posts, read 6,287,734 times
I would actually prefer if you immigrated, I like diversity. All that crap you see on TV are nor most Americans.
doctors are very well paid, it depends on what profession and what region of the US. Say you live in Hawaii, I have met Doctors from there that they get paid peanuts, especially compared to the living costs.
IF you are the right type of doctor in the right region, you can easily be make 1 million dollars a year. This is not often the case for a MD , but a usual MD can easily earn 100k a year.

Old 12-03-2007, 09:55 AM

2,806 posts, read 16,365,289 times
Yes doctors in America are paid very well. It is one of the top paying professions in the USA. It is however somewhat difficult to gain entry to the American market as a foreign doctor. There are some type of exams which you have to take in order to qualify.

As the previous poster stated, you should easily make $100,000 per year as a Doctor. If you are trained as some type of surgeon or have some other speciality, your salary might be $200,000 or above.

Old 12-03-2007, 10:43 AM

5,525 posts, read 13,944,069 times
Medicine in America tends to be very sub-specialized. Primary care doctors (arguably the most important docs) are paid the least and surgeons (on average) are paid the most. Although physician salaries are under significant pressure, most docs still do quite well.

Old 12-03-2007, 10:46 AM

5,525 posts, read 13,944,069 times
I'm curious what the training for docs in Latvia is. In America, its 4 years of college and 4 years of medical school. Tuition at private schools (both college and medical) can be over $40,000 per year. After medical school, there is an apprenticeship of at least 3 years residency with relatively low salary and high hours. Many physicians further specialize with a fellowship after residency for several more years. A surgeon with subspecialization can spend over ten years of training after college before being able to cash in for the big bucks.

Old 12-03-2007, 12:09 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,573,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paparaciii View Post
I currently study medicine and I'm wondering how it is to be a doctor in USA..
I mean, what is their avarage salary and how big/small it is compared with avarage American's salary. And what about prestige of this profession?
I've read that doctors are doing pretty well in you country..
Say, in my country this profession is lower than dog's ****. It has some prestige but the salary is definately not worth of those efforts you must take to become a doctor..

P.S. I hope you'll forgive me my grammar mistakes 'cause it's 3:28 A.M. and I'm pretty tired.
P.P.S. Oh, and do not worry - I'm not going to emigrate to your country and take away jobs from Americans.
papa--There are doctors and there are doctors. If status and money are your primary objectives, please get an MBA and go into the business world. Plenty of opportunities there, at least in the US. The last thing we need is more doctors for whom the provision of healthcare is secondary to their personal status and wealth.

PS: In this country, general dentists make more money than pediatricians, family practice docs and internists. And guess what the #1 childhood disease is in America?

Old 12-03-2007, 02:02 PM

160 posts, read 342,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sukwoo View Post
I'm curious what the training for docs in Latvia is. In America, its 4 years of college and 4 years of medical school. Tuition at private schools (both college and medical) can be over $40,000 per year. After medical school, there is an apprenticeship of at least 3 years residency with relatively low salary and high hours. Many physicians further specialize with a fellowship after residency for several more years. A surgeon with subspecialization can spend over ten years of training after college before being able to cash in for the big bucks.
In Latvia it's 6 years of medical school(here "medical school" is actually a faculty of university, not separate establishment) + 3-5 years of residency.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
papa--There are doctors and there are doctors. If status and money are your primary objectives, please get an MBA and go into the business world.
If it would be so, I wouldn't study medicine. but I'm doing this..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
The last thing we need is more doctors for whom the provision of healthcare is secondary to their personal status and wealth.
As I said I'm not planning to emigrate to USA.

Old 01-06-2008, 12:21 PM

2 posts, read 22,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMDallas View Post
I would actually prefer if you immigrated, I like diversity. All that crap you see on TV are nor most Americans.
doctors are very well paid, it depends on what profession and what region of the US. Say you live in Hawaii, I have met Doctors from there that they get paid peanuts, especially compared to the living costs.
IF you are the right type of doctor in the right region, you can easily be make 1 million dollars a year. This is not often the case for a MD , but a usual MD can easily earn 100k a year.
Answer: Are u a profesional or did you hear about the gain?

Old 01-06-2008, 12:22 PM

2 posts, read 22,816 times
Are u a profesional or did you hear about the gain?

[URL="//www.city-data.com/forum/general-u-s/reputation.php?p=2434530&do=quickreputation"][+] Rate this post positively[/URL]

Old 01-06-2008, 12:24 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Doctors in the US also work very long hours; a typical work day is 12+ hrs, 4 days/week, plus call on weekends, holidays, and evenings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.