Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How do you like living in the South?
I love it! 36 42.86%
It is okay. 16 19.05%
I hate it and I want to move back up North! 32 38.10%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2014, 07:39 AM

223 posts, read 300,224 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
People from Massachusetts don't call people from Connecticut southerners... But Connecticut is further south.

When Americans use the term "northerner" we mean people from certain states.

Georgia is north of me... Doesn't mean I call Georgians "northerners".
That isn't the point though. It is not just that Wisconsin is north of Illinois. The point is that Wisconsin is an actual Northern state. Washington, Idaho, Montana, North Dakota, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Upper Michigan, New York, Vermont, New Hampshire, and Maine are the Northern borders of the United States. I live in the little peninsula of Wisconsin that extends into Lake Superior. Someone said that he did not consider Wisconsin a Northern state! Go any further and you will either be in Lake Superior or Canada. We can hit 40 below zero in the winter here. That only happens in the North. I think whoever said Wisconsin in not a Northern state needs to study his geography.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2014, 08:16 AM

3,453 posts, read 4,527,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 757Cities Southsider View Post
Post from pg.2 ...Also, we don't call Canadians " Northerners" either.
So what? As a Wisconsinite, I know that we all consider ourselves "northerners" no matter what a map-challenged person from across the country might say. And that's what's important, no? Or are you OK with people from outside your region coming up with random appellations for your area? You can't get much further north in the lower 48 than a peninsula jutting out into Lake Superior. There's a definitive northern culture here that uses the word quite commonly - a weekend away "up north," going to "the northwoods," etc. Anyone who doesn't think Wisconsinites are "northerners" is clueless, period.

Old 08-11-2014, 09:57 AM

867 posts, read 1,397,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Classy Sassy View Post
Hmm...well, last time I looked at a map, Canada was further North than the United States. However, I did not call them "Northerners." I just said that I live up by Canada...only separated by Lake Superior. The comment that made me make that remark was that someone did not consider Wisconsin a northern state!!
yeah, like I said we know where Michigan and Montana is located north of here (in Virginia) most people do not refer to that as "up north" or "northerners" ie Philly, NY, etc. Most people refer to Chicagoans as Midwesterners NOT "northerners". You said you live by Canada to depict how far "NORTH" you were ...yeah I know...how come I understand you and respond in fashion but you act like you don't know what Im saying?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classy Sassy View Post
That isn't the point though.
Yes, I think that kinda IS the point...at least to what youre responding to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
So what? As a Wisconsinite, I know that we all consider ourselves "northerners" no matter what a map-challenged person from across the country might say. And that's what's important, no? Or are you OK with people from outside your region coming up with random appellations for your area? You can't get much further north in the lower 48 than a peninsula jutting out into Lake Superior. There's a definitive northern culture here that uses the word quite commonly - a weekend away "up north," going to "the northwoods," etc. Anyone who doesn't think Wisconsinites are "northerners" is clueless, period.
I don't think its so much that this has to do with people that are mapped challenged. I think people who may not even know exactly where Wisconsin is may know it is located north of much of the country...somewhere in the Midwest where it snows alot. If the "map challenged" comment was implied as some kinda weak backhanded snarky remark towards ME...please...don't play yaself. SMH. Yall can call yaselves whatever you want to call yaselves I don't care...I don't call yall that and from all the rep points received from when I first had made the post til now...there are alot of people who don't call yall that, knock yaself out with that though. People call theyself coming up with misappropriated appellations for my state all the time. I accept almost all descriptions to a certain degree. I know how far NORTH Wisconsin is geographically, but when referencing "Northerners" they are not who is being spoken of for most people for the most part...it is not to be an insult...just REAL talk.

Interesting, you say there is a definitive "northern culture" there...is it "northern" as in can be found throughout the "North" NY, PA, MA, ME etc or is it something that is found in Wisconsin. Minnesota. Michigan. The Great Lakes?

Old 08-11-2014, 02:14 PM

Default North vs South

Quote:
yeah, like I said we know where Michigan and Montana is located north of here (in Virginia) most people do not refer to that as "up north" or "northerners" ie Philly, NY, etc. Most people refer to Chicagoans as Midwesterners NOT "northerners". You said you live by Canada to depict how far "NORTH" you were ...yeah I know...how come I understand you and respond in fashion but you act like you don't know what Im saying?

I don't think its so much that this has to do with people that are mapped challenged. I think people who may not even know exactly where Wisconsin is may know it is located north of much of the country...somewhere in the Midwest where it snows alot. If the "map challenged" comment was implied as some kinda weak backhanded snarky remark towards ME...please...don't play yaself. SMH. Yall can call yaselves whatever you want to call yaselves I don't care...I don't call yall that and from all the rep points received from when I first had made the post til now...there are alot of people who don't call yall that, knock yaself out with that though. People call theyself coming up with misappropriated appellations for my state all the time. I accept almost all descriptions to a certain degree. I know how far NORTH Wisconsin is geographically, but when referencing "Northerners" they are not who is being spoken of for most people for the most part...it is not to be an insult...just REAL talk.

Interesting, you say there is a definitive "northern culture" there...is it "northern" as in can be found throughout the "North" NY, PA, MA, ME etc or is it something that is found in Wisconsin. Minnesota. Michigan. The Great Lakes?
Somehow, your writing does not come across clearly. I think you might be trying to say that for those people on the East coast, "Up North" refers to NY, Maine, etc. and for those in the Central U.S. "Up North" refers to Michigan, Minnesota, Wisconsin. However, I am not even sure if that is what you are trying to saying. You state that Wisconsin is not who most people consider "Northerners." Maybe in your part of the country, that is true, but in our part of the country, Wisconsin is considered the North. I'm sure all the meteorologists on the Weather Channel would agree with that. Personally, I consider all the Upper Tier States that I listed as being in the North. I'm sure that all the geographers in the United States would agree with that also. Shouldn't be that tough to identify the Northern states.

Last edited by Classy Sassy; 08-11-2014 at 02:27 PM..

Old 08-11-2014, 02:23 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,372,455 times
Lived in IL, moved to TN... lasted a whole 3 months before moving back. Hated it! Now Im in AZ, which isnt the "south" but rather "southwest", and its so much more enjoyable to me than the South, so here I sit!

Old 08-11-2014, 03:05 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,944,080 times
I agree with 8to32characters that the West is a very appealing place to live. However, because it's so undeveloped, there's not enough choices of places to move to. I want a metro area of less than 2 million, that's affordable and has plenty of accounting jobs, but it doesn't exist in the West! The closest thing that comes to it is SLC, but whenever I search for jobs there, there's nothing for me. And I would be weary of living in an area surrounded by severe Mormonism.

The problem with out west is that virtually all of the good paying professional jobs are in extremely expensive areas like SF, LA and Seattle. There are lots of jobs for me in Denver, but I just don't like it there. Portland is a very tough job market too. And Phoenix, strangely doesn't have an abundance of good paying professional jobs, for a city it's size. Every single metro area out West seems to have at least one or two serious drawbacks, whether it's COL, lack of jobs or too much rain.

Old 08-11-2014, 03:13 PM

I lived in both Kentucky and Mississippi in the past. I appreciated the short, mild winters and gorgeous flowers that always seemed to be in bloom. I also loved the Southern food. I did have a problem adjusting to the heat and humidity of the summer though. It was sort of like you had to run from the air-conditioned car into the air-conditioned building.

As far as culture shock goes, I had problem adjusting to the racism in the South. I last lived there in 93-95. Also, the area of the South I lived in seemed to be lacking in some of the infrastructure. In the North, we have sidewalks everywhere. In the South, there were very few sidewalks. Also, in the North, I was considered an introverted person. In the South, I was considered extroverted. Of course, the accent also takes some adjusting to. In the South, I was told that I sounded like a Yankee. When I moved back up North, I was told I sound like a Southern Belle! Basically, I enjoyed the South and will eventually be moving back down there as I have a lot of family there.

Old 08-11-2014, 04:06 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,944,080 times
I tried living in Charlotte for a month, in 2013, coming from central Connecticut. My experience was okay.

The people were friendly, but it's not enough to make me want to stay there, because New England has plenty of friendly people as well. Who cares if New Englanders are reserved? I like that. We value respecting others' personal space and autonomy and not bothering people or unnecessary confrontations.

What bothered me the most was that it just felt like a fake/plastic area. It was just another city, with your typical beltway, urban core and suburbs. And the suburbs barely had any unique identity. Each town looked and felt the same. That is NOT the case in New England, where every town feels noticeably different and looks different. Way too much cheap, tract housing, too.

Another thing that really annoyed me was the southern accent. No offense, but I just couldn't get used to it. It bothers me just as much as hearing the New York or Boston accents as well. I just don't like any accents that are not the normal mainstream American "accent." It sounds tacky to me and made me feel that much more different than the rest of society.

I also couldn't stand the prevalence of God, guns and seeing confederate flags EVERY day! I mean wtf!? It's 2014, not 1860. Way too many men driving pickup trucks with confederate flags displayed on their back window or license plate. They say it's "southern heritage," but as someone from the north, to me it just screams RACISM, whether they mean it or not. I also couldn't believe some of the conversations I've had with people who were aged over 40, regarding race. One guy told me that he would gladly pay a 5% federal tax to have all blacks shipped to Africa, and "that it would solve all of America's problems alone."

I also HATE country music, and it was quite prevalent. Way too many country stations and Christian radio stations in the South. Here in New England we have ONE country station (that nobody listens to) and maybe ONE Christian radio station.

Also, in my opinion, people up north are cooler in general. It's hard to describe. I mean, I've met a few cool people here and there in the South, but it seems like the men are mama's boys or something.

I also hated being occasionally referred to as a Yankee. I mean, what the hell? People shouldn't label other people just because of where they're from. I feel like many of my interactions with people in the South ended up evolving into a conversation of North vs. South. Not in a bad or hostile way, but still, if people want to get along better, it's preferable to discuss SIMILARITIES instead of differences.

So in short, the reason why I could never live in the South (by choice) is because of the culture.

Old 08-11-2014, 04:49 PM

784 posts, read 1,981,366 times
[quote=757Cities Southsider;36035483]yeah, like I said we know where Michigan and Montana is located north of here (in Virginia) most people do not refer to that as "up north" or "northerners" ie Philly, NY, etc. Most people refer to Chicagoans as Midwesterners NOT "northerners". You said you live by Canada to depict how far "NORTH" you were ...yeah I know...how come I understand you and respond in fashion but you act like you don't know what Im saying?

The funny thing is, with most people, the South stretches from Virginia to Texas while the North only includes those states above Washington, DC and east of Ohio. Why is the South, then much bigger than the North? Also, many Southerners have a semi dislike for people from the Northeast while feeling almost a kinship relationship with people from the Midwest.

Old 08-11-2014, 06:06 PM

867 posts, read 1,397,217 times
[quote=Kemba;36041408]
Quote:

The funny thing is, with most people, the South stretches from Virginia to Texas while the North only includes those states above Washington, DC and east of Ohio. Why is the South, then much bigger than the North? Also, many Southerners have a semi dislike for people from the Northeast while feeling almost a kinship relationship with people from the Midwest.
Well Kemba, it would be wise to take what "most people" on CD say and think with a grain of salt. Like everything else, some consider TX the South (in general) and yet many consider it the Southwest or its own place. Also I see you left out MD and DE...outside of CD many people still consider that the beginning of the South and aren't used to using the term Mid Atlantic, FOR ANY state or region. The census calls all three the South, why they do so is something they'll have to explain...as well as why is the Midwest still called the "Midwest". As someone mentioned before, most people live in the East and historically North and South was spoken from the point of view of people of the East...when we say we're goin "up top" that doesn't mean Minnesota. We do not reference them like we reference Northeasterners...especially Blackfolks. Everything isn't spoken of in some sense of Civil War jargin or outlook. West of Pitt, those are Midwesterners...from the Midwest/Great Lakes...they are not looked at or mentioned with the likes of Boston, Philly, NYC, Newark...maybe its just some East Coast ish.

I would imagine that the South is larger because of the luck of the draw and the shape of the country and development patterns. Why is TX and Cali as massive as they are and poor little DE and RI are how they are (shrugs)? Now while you said "many Southerners have a semi dislike for people from the Northeast...etc." I will attempt to give you an answer but know that each state has their OWN identity, especially in this day and time, and no so-called "Southerner" speaks for "Southerners." From my experience in other southern East Coast states and everywhere else (Ive been) really..."certain" people from the NYC tri-state area had ventured out making a bad name for the place since the "Urban Contemporary" cultural explosion in the past 40 some odd yrs. Arrogant loudmouth folks ruined certain cities' reps. Where Im from, NY is alright...they must show respect though...Philly is cooler...a lot of us are family...Boston/NE folks are a fairly new anomaly but between some of them and Jersey, they've had tendency to be what you would expect of reckless talking New Yorkers. Basically, in modern times if you go to someone elses home and run your mouth or/and whine whine whine, you leave a bad impression...regular citizens are turned off and street folks will/might "teach you a lesson" about "disrespekkin". DC cats used to HATE NY cats for a lot of the same reasons...loudmouth disrespect and arrogance...little to none/less problems outta folks from Philly though. Outside of that, some folks (I am Black btw) in the "South" have their own historical hang ups about folks up north I guess...I never heard anyone referred to as a yankee or yank unless it was someone from the islands or England referencing Americans in jest or the Bronx Bombers... but judging from this forum I see there are some "Southerners" from some Southern states who are into that type of thing. I don't personally feel any kinship with Midwesterners, I have family in Philly, some moved to S.Jerz then ended up in Charlotte or around here. My other family in Maryland is the same, family in Philly a small band in the Bronx with folks venturing out to ATL and SC. Im sure folks from Mississippi, Alabama, Arkansas,Georgia and so forth will probably have a different take on it but as far as in my area most Midwesterners don't come here talkin ISH and many generally like it and are shocked about the "culture"...a lot of folks out that way can seem kinda "country" to us for lack of a better word...I wouldn't want to call them bammas but being on the East Coast can expose you to a lot more a lot faster than being in a "BIG CITY" that is NOT on the East Coast if youknowwhatImean. They are generally good people though and seem to look to want to learn their way and blend in, so maybe that is why.

Last edited by 757Cities Southsider; 08-11-2014 at 06:18 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.