Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How do you like living in the South?
I love it! 36 42.86%
It is okay. 16 19.05%
I hate it and I want to move back up North! 32 38.10%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2014, 10:41 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,947,442 times

Advertisements

It's a myth that northerners are rude and condescending. I lived in NYC and thought the people (the natives, anyway) were totally nice. Not any less friendly than southerners, to be honest. Southerners' perception that northerners are rude is blown way out of proportion. My friends from South Carolina who visited me up here in CT were surprised to find that people were nicer than they had imagined.

I prefer reserved people, because I don't like people butting into my personal business and don't like unnecessary confrontation.

Many southern states have higher corporate and individual income tax rates and higher sales tax rates than many states up north. It's just property taxes up north that are killer, but it's not a big deal because jobs pay a lot more. People up north also get much bigger income tax refunds every year because they can deduct more state income tax and property taxes paid.

The only true beneficiaries of lower COL in the South are retirees.

Last edited by nep321; 08-13-2014 at 10:51 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2014, 11:07 AM

35,066 posts, read 31,293,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
It's a myth that northerners are rude and condescending. I lived in NYC and thought the people (the natives, anyway) were totally nice. Not any less friendly than southerners, to be honest. Southerners' perception that northerners are rude is blown way out of proportion. My friends from South Carolina who visited me up here in CT were surprised to find that people were nicer than they had imagined.

I prefer reserved people, because I don't like people butting into my personal business and don't like unnecessary confrontation.

Many southern states have higher corporate and individual income tax rates and higher sales tax rates than many states up north. It's just property taxes up north that are killer, but it's not a big deal because jobs pay a lot more. People up north also get much bigger income tax refunds every year because they can deduct more state income tax and property taxes paid.

The only true beneficiaries of lower COL in the South are retirees.
I'll agree with you on this. I was in the Boston area for business all of March and was surprised at how nice the people were, both in Boston and up the coast into Maine. I didn't encounter anymore of the rudeness than you'd see anywhere really.

The sad thing about much of the South (though there are pockets of wealth) is that people generally don't earn much, even after you adjust for cost of living. My hometown has a median HHI of a whopping $30.5k. That's about $15/hr, per household. Any way you look at it, that's a lousy existence. The city of Detroit isn't much worse ($25k HHI) and Wayne County, MI (Detroit's county) is at $38k, considerably better than where I'm from. There are many rural counties in TN, KY, WV, and VA that are even poorer than the city of Detroit, much less any normal place up north.

If you're just an average worker trying to make a living in the South, it's nearly impossible.

Old 08-13-2014, 12:21 PM

867 posts, read 1,397,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Classy Sassy View Post
Nobody is arguing that the East Coast is FL to ME. You started an arguement that "The North" was only the upper NE Coast and that no other part of the country could claim to be "The North."

Maine is Northeast. The Great Lakes States, the Northern Plains, the Pacific Northwest, and the upper NE states are all referred to as "The North" in relation to directions in the United States. You need might want to travel a little more. You have a very narrow view on what "The North" really is.
Alright, look yo...I DISAGREE. You are Midwesterner TO ME, that's it. People in the Pacific NW/ Mountain West/ Rocky Mountains/ Great Plains states of Montana and Colorado, Idaho, Oregon etc. are not called "Northerners" TO ME and I will NEVER EVER call them or address them like people from up north (Northeast). My view is supposed to be "narrow" and is gonna remain "narrow" on who people from "up north" are because I do not live in the Civil War era...no Kentucky, Missouri, West Virginia, Kansas, Nevada, California, and Oregon will never be "up north" to me either.

I never started an argument I said "I DONT think of" and I received several rep points and agreeable comments until yall dug up this thread. YOU can call yaself what you want to call yaself...Ive already said that, but I wont. How do you know I am NOT well traveled? You just want me to think of WI in the same vein as Jersey and New York etc. and Im just NOT going to. Ive been all over this country and to Japan, Korea, and Hawaii/Alaska since 93. Ive never heard anyone ever refer to Midwesterners as Northerners in REAL life except ONE person from Chicago back in 95 who tried to say he was from "up north" until everyone (from several different regions) laughed at him and jumped on him about it. We might as well let Muppethammer decide what is Northern, Southern, Eastern and Western the way this is goin.

As far as the East Coast thing...that is for the poster I was replying to, that's why I replied to HIM/Her and not you.

Last edited by JMT; 08-15-2014 at 08:54 PM..

Old 08-13-2014, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Wine View Post
I've lived in both the South and the Northeast. Regarding the Confederate flag issue........the only southerners I've met who object to it are black people and a few whites........but for the most part, it's at least tolerated/defended, if not outright celebrated and revered. I do not believe support for the Confederate flag is a minority viewpoint in the South, at least not in the Deep South states where there are few northern transplants to balance things out (Alabama, Mississippi, Arkansas, Louisiana, etc).

Most people in the Northeast (and to a lesser extent, the urban Midwest) are rude and condescending, in my opinion. I don't care about whether you speak to me when you pass by me on the street, but other things like constantly cutting people off in conversation, not giving up a seat for a pregnant woman on the bus, etc. are all too common here, and it's just bad manners. They don't realize it because they were raised differently from southerners. In both places, the people who've stayed in one spot all of their lives see the least amount of fault in their hometown / home state.
The DEEP South is what you really mean. "The only southerners" who "defend" that mess here are redneck hillbilly whitefolks or Deep South transplants but for the most part it IS frowned upon not "celebrated" and it is only "tolerated" due to freedom of speech...but those type of folks (neo confederates) know which areas not to go where people will react to their "freedom of speech."

Old 08-13-2014, 01:20 PM

3,453 posts, read 4,530,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 757Cities Southsider View Post
My view is supposed to be "narrow" and is gonna remain "narrow"
Don't we know it!

Old 08-13-2014, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
Don't we know it!
got to "narrow" down what is true and what is a farce!
Too much open minded broad based thinking can lead to empty spaced airheadedness.

Old 08-13-2014, 01:31 PM

223 posts, read 300,278 times
Default North vs South

Quote:
Alright, look yo...I DISAGREE. You are Midwesterner TO ME, that's it. People in the Pacific NW/ Mountain West/ Rocky Mountains/ Great Plains states of Montana and Colorado, Idaho, Oregon etc. are not called "Northerners" TO ME and I will NEVER EVER call them or address them like people from up north (Northeast). My view is supposed to be "narrow" and is gonna remain "narrow" on who people from "up north" are because I do not live in the Civil War era...no Kentucky, Missouri, West Virginia, Kansas, Nevada, California, and Oregon will never be "up north" to me either.

I never started an argument I said "I DONT think of" and I received several rep points and agreeable comments until yall dug up this thread. YOU can call yaself what you want to call yaself...Ive already said that, but I wont. How do you know I am NOT well traveled? You just want me to think of WI in the same vein as Jersey and New York etc. and Im just NOT going to. Ive been all over this country and to Japan, Korea, and Hawaii/Alaska since 93. Ive never heard anyone ever refer to Midwesterners as Northerners in REAL life except ONE person from Chicago back in 95 who tried to say he was from "up north" until everyone (from several different regions) laughed at him and jumped on him about it. We might as well let Muppethammer decide what is Northern, Southern, Eastern and Western the way this is goin.

As far as the East Coast thing...that is for the poster I was replying to, that's why I replied to HIM/Her and not you.
And to ME, you are a New Englander...not solely a Northerner. You live in the NE...not the North. See the map below to prove what I'm saying. Wisconsin, Michigan, Minnesota, and the Dakotas are "The North." You live in the Northeast. I've received a lot of rep points on this thead too. Anyone who thinks that Maine is the only place in the United States that can claim to be "The North" is seriously direction-challenged and obstinant. You need to get around a little more, and buy a compass.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSmyaWppAxdveK1jL76bD7oLd3JdLqEo 6ohe0odRIPYaNm-1169

Last edited by JMT; 08-15-2014 at 08:53 PM..

Old 08-13-2014, 01:31 PM

Quote:
got to "narrow" down what is true and what is a farce!
Well, considering you believe it's up to you personally to determine whether or not people across the country from you up by the Canadian border are northern or not despite the fact that all of them consider themselves so, I'm thinking the farce may be with you!

Old 08-13-2014, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Too much open minded broad based thinking can lead to empty spaced airheadedness.
Haha, you went back and added this after I'd quoted you??? Seems pretty "empty spaced airheaded" (sic) to me!!

Old 08-13-2014, 02:10 PM

[quote=Classy Sassy;36068079]
Quote:

And to ME, you are a New Englander...not solely a Northerner. You live in the NE...not the North. See the map below to prove what I'm saying. Wisconsin, Michigan, Minnesota, and the Dakotas are "The North." You live in the Northeast. I've received a lot of rep points on this thead too. Anyone who thinks that Maine is the only place in the United States that can claim to be "The North" is seriously direction-challenged and obstinant. You need to get around a little more, and buy a compass.
Hmmm, seems like youre the one who is map challenged. Plus, google Wisconsin and see what it tells you. Also try googling "The North" and see what you get. Youll have to try harder to find what it is youre looking for...and even when you find what youre looking for, it wont be what you think youre talking about.
No one said Maine was the only place that could claim to be "The North." LMAO nice try, not. By the way anyone can handpick maps and post them...Im sure youll find the one where Alaska and Hawaii are also placed in the north (LOL) your maps says Im from the EAST (SMH) not New England or the Northeast...great way to NOT prove a point. SMH, bammas. Since you appear to have problems with reading and reading comprehension I shoudnt have expected much...Pacific Northwest, The North, and The Norhteast, yeah OK...like I said we might as well let MUPPETHAMMER decide North, South, East and West then. Not a bad map though, if it was actually adopted that way as fact.
Quote:
Well, considering you believe it's up to you personally to determine whether or not people across the country from you up by the Canadian border are northern or not despite the fact that all of them consider themselves so, I'm thinking the farce may be with you!
THEYRE DELUSIONAL and if that's what yall think, thats ya bidness. I do not live in the Civil War era, Kentucky and California are not "the North" to me, sorry Im not so closed minded to think in such manner.

Quote:
Haha, you went back and added this after I'd quoted you??? Seems pretty "empty spaced airheaded" (sic) to me!!
Actually, I was editing while you were replying not after you quoted me. SMH. What difference would it have made, Mockingbird? Now youre starting to be ridiculous.

Last edited by 757Cities Southsider; 08-13-2014 at 03:26 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.