Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2014, 10:37 PM

114 posts, read 239,003 times

Advertisements

Philadelphia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2014, 09:52 AM

Location: NYC based - Used to Live in Philly - Transplant from Miami
2,307 posts, read 2,752,343 times
For me it was Hollywood, CA.
When I first visited years ago, I was surprised how it is not a glamorous as how it is pictured on TV during various award show and whatnot.

Old 03-20-2014, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Somewhat of an amusing story-my sister and I were killing 4 Hours in San Francisco on a layover from San Diego to Philly and when we got off the BART (I think Mission but maybe Tenderloin) we asked a few Cops standing around where we should go. The area was pretty shady and we both had luggage but when we told them we were from Philly they started laughing and said we'll be fine walking anywhere. We took it in stride and even as a compliment haha but the homeless are much more aggressive and numerous in SF.

I think for Philly, many tourists walk through the few shady (but not dangerous) blocks on Market East between Old City and City Hall and see the methadone clinic patients, racist black Hebrew Israelites shouting from megaphones, Cash for Gold and Incense barterers which may be a turn-off for most tourists.
HA! You are dead on. Just another reason why they should re-develop market east.
Now the Girard Square is in motion and I AM REALLY HOPING Market 8 gets the license, I hope PREIT will also do something with the Gallery pronto!

Old 03-20-2014, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Yes, and all this takes place right downtown. Face it, Philly has a huge poor minority population right adjacent to the downtown. And as I said above, those folks pour into the city every day to roam around and just hang out.
This is also true.

Old 03-20-2014, 04:40 PM

854 posts, read 1,473,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asiandudeyo View Post
When I first visited years ago, I was surprised how it is not a glamorous as how it is pictured on TV during various award show and whatnot.
It actually seemed pretty "ghetto" to me.

Old 03-20-2014, 04:43 PM

166 posts, read 239,557 times
Atlanta. It was nasty,the people were nasty in more than one way. We where there to visit a theme park. The hotel we stayed in was nice but there was a Mcdonalds not to far from it that was like a zoo with young scary people who were not raised by decent human beings. It was a total bust and we would never even allow our car to even pass through it again.

Old 03-20-2014, 05:03 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,789,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asiandudeyo View Post
Hollywood proper is better than it used to be, but yes, in general the entire Greater LA area is a huge disappointment to anybody expecting the glitter, glitz and glam that they pass off in movies and on TV.

Old 03-20-2014, 07:26 PM

14,802 posts, read 17,562,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceox1962 View Post
Atlanta. It was nasty,the people were nasty in more than one way. We where there to visit a theme park. The hotel we stayed in was nice but there was a Mcdonalds not to far from it that was like a zoo with young scary people who were not raised by decent human beings. It was a total bust and we would never even allow our car to even pass through it again.
Was this a recent visit?

Old 03-20-2014, 10:16 PM

2,322 posts, read 2,975,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Hollywood proper is better than it used to be, but yes, in general the entire Greater LA area is a huge disappointment to anybody expecting the glitter, glitz and glam that they pass off in movies and on TV.

Yeah...I get it and I don't. People get Hollywood the industry confused with Hollywood the neighborhood. Tourist flock, Natives run away. Never liked Hollywood the neighborhood, much more interesting neighborhoods in LA. The other thing is the tourist tend to want to stay on the westside which they perceive as where all the "action" is, yet it is one sleepy suburban side of the city. Rich people don't want tourist in their backyard so they like to keep things boring IMO.

Honestly.... LA sucks for tourists, much better to live here and take LA in over time than in a week.

Old 03-20-2014, 11:43 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,789,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamills21 View Post
Yeah...I get it and I don't. People get Hollywood the industry confused with Hollywood the neighborhood. Tourist flock, Natives run away. Never liked Hollywood the neighborhood, much more interesting neighborhoods in LA. The other thing is the tourist tend to want to stay on the westside which they perceive as where all the "action" is, yet it is one sleepy suburban side of the city. Rich people don't want tourist in their backyard so they like to keep things boring IMO.

Honestly.... LA sucks for tourists, much better to live here and take LA in over time than in a week.
It works the other way, too. There are a lot of places in this country -- particularly in the South -- that people have negative opinions of based on what they see in TV and movies. When they finally do visit, most folks are pleasantly surprised ... and often feel a bit misled. This past weekend, I met some girls from SoCal who were in Savannah for St Pats. It was the first time any of them had been to the "deep south" and they were sincerely blown away by the beauty and culture of it all. I think they were ready to move!

IMO the only place in the country that's truly "WYSIWYG" is NYC. Sure, the sheer size of it is a bit overwhelming on first visit, but generally speaking NYC looks and feels exactly as it does in the media. You may never have been to NYC in your life, but after a few hours it's familiar. Can't say the same for most other cities, especially LA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.