Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2014, 09:23 AM

4 posts, read 11,265 times

Advertisements

I am from Michigan and my husband and I are done with the crazy cold weather like -35! We are in our 20's and we've wanted to move for some time. My parents moved out to California about a year 1/2 ago and I want to be closer to them, even if I am 2 hours away, it's better than being 2,000 some odd miles! We want to move close to California, near gold country so on the Nevada border perhaps since my parents live in the Sierra Nevada foothills. But we don't want to be in California. We also thought about southern Oregon. So, my question is, where do I start? Where is a good place in Nevada or Oregon close to California border, possibly a smaller town with rent not outrageous. My husband has worked as a handyman, HVAC, etc. and he can also do pretty much any job he sets his mind to and I am a bank teller. We also have a dog and we'd like to rent a tiny house with a yard, even if it's a small yard so we can have a garden. We DO NOT want to live in an apartment. But we want to move somewhere where the weather is sunny most of the time and has mild winters. Unfortunately we own a house, so we need to sell it. So any helpful tips on...
---> What counties are good to look into in Nevada and Oregon that are close to California border?
--->If you've moved out west, can you relate your experience and if so how did you,
A. Find a job?
B. Sell your house? We are confused because we would have to sell but if we don't have a job lined up or we somehow don't sell in time...how do we juggle this?
C. Move your stuff? -We plan on downsizing our things greatly

Any help would be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2014, 09:39 AM

31,304 posts, read 32,900,628 times
You can't do anything until you sell your house FIRST. In the meantime figure out which state you want to move to. Keep in mind that in some states or locations you have to be licensed as a contractor/handyman to do the repair work. Smaller towns usually have less chance of finding a job and newbies are the usually the last to be hired over the longtime locals.

Old 03-02-2014, 10:47 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,798,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blahblah16 View Post
My parents moved out to California about a year 1/2 ago and I want to be closer to them, even if I am 2 hours away,

We want to move close to California, near gold country so on the Nevada border perhaps since my parents live in the Sierra Nevada foothills. But we don't want to be in California.

We also thought about southern Oregon. So, my question is, where do I start?

Unfortunately we own a house, so we need to sell it. So any helpful tips on...

A. Find a job?
B. Sell your house? We are confused because we would have to sell but if we don't have a job lined up or we somehow don't sell in time...how do we juggle this?
C. Move your stuff? -We plan on downsizing our things greatly

Any help would be appreciated!
The Sierra Nevada Foothills is a large area with over 40 towns. One of those towns is Amador City, CA. A major city in Oregon is Medford. Amador City, CA to Medford, OR is a six hour drive and about 350 miles... Google Map

When we moved from the East Coast (1,800 miles) to the Southwest, My wife lined up a job. She moved out to her job location, I stayed in the house we had for sale, and then I moved out eight months later when it sold.

We have moved a lot over the years. It gets expensive to ship your belongings. Our last move in 1999 cost $20,000... Our Daughter and family followed us out and came out with two vehicles and two kids and she had nothing but what fit in the vehicles (Ford Van and Honda Civic)...

Look at maps and find out what towns you can consider. Do some research, cost of living, job opportunities...

Old 03-02-2014, 11:04 AM

14,016 posts, read 20,919,144 times
To the OP: Why do you specifically not want to be in California? The area where your parents live (Sierra Nevada foothills) is nothing at all like Los Angeles, San Diego, or San Francisco. In fact, a small town in Oregon or Nevada close to the California border (what you say you want) is going to be fairly similar in general to the area where your parents live. It could be that you are ruling out possibilities within California that would suit you quite well.

Old 07-28-2014, 07:18 AM

4 posts, read 11,265 times
Talking We're Moving!

We decided to move to California. It was just getting my husband to realize it would be a good move for us. When we went out to visit my parents in April, we found a job and a place to live. The job is cleaning pools and taking care of a ranch while living in a small trailer. We're poor in Michigan and we'll be poor in Cali. My only question was, do I want to be poor where it is cold or where it is nice out much more often. It was a no brainier! A week ago we sold our house after having it only on the market for 4 days. On August 18th we are loading up a small trailer and taking route 66 to California! Can't believe it's happening. This goes to show, if you really want to do something, take a chance, make it happen! If you want to follow my blog, here it is, Going Out West Where We Belong

Old 07-28-2014, 12:52 PM

2,436 posts, read 2,797,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blahblah16 View Post
We decided to move to California. It was just getting my husband to realize it would be a good move for us. When we went out to visit my parents in April, we found a job and a place to live. The job is cleaning pools and taking care of a ranch while living in a small trailer. We're poor in Michigan and we'll be poor in Cali. My only question was, do I want to be poor where it is cold or where it is nice out much more often. It was a no brainier! A week ago we sold our house after having it only on the market for 4 days. On August 18th we are loading up a small trailer and taking route 66 to California! Can't believe it's happening. This goes to show, if you really want to do something, take a chance, make it happen! If you want to follow my blog, here it is, Going Out West Where We Belong
Where in California will you be moving to?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.