Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2014, 07:13 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,034,674 times

Advertisements

I think that trying to suspend those boats from a cable high up in the air would be very unstable and put a lot of the Gondola paddlers out of work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2014, 08:22 AM

1,694 posts, read 3,621,070 times
There's been proposals here in Austin for Gondolas

Gondolas in Austin: creative transportation ideas emerge - Austin Business Journal

Old 03-05-2014, 09:46 AM

5,461 posts, read 5,702,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
You can ride gondolas in Central Park through the Boathouse, it's a restaurant (a very good, but expensive one). Apparently, someone drives it for you and for $30 you and up to 6 people can cruise the lake. Of course, this is a tourist attraction but still pretty interesting.

I'm not sure gondolas would be quick or overall efficient enough for public transportation, unless you made them huge and motorized which would stray from traditional. They really can only work in cities with canals, which is why they're good in Venice. Crossing the Hudson or even the East River with a gondola would not be a good idea.
I think they are talking about cable cars, not Venice-style gondolas. New York City has both types though! lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
When I read 'gondolas' I was thinking those boats in Venice. It's funny because we call them cable cars. Isn't there something like this in NY? They also seem fairly common in mountain areas.
Yes, in NYC it is called the tramway.

Roosevelt Island Tramway - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here it is over Manhattan street:

Last edited by Gantz; 03-05-2014 at 09:55 AM..

Old 03-05-2014, 09:46 AM

2,011 posts, read 3,458,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
When I read 'gondolas' I was thinking those boats in Venice. It's funny because we call them cable cars. Isn't there something like this in NY? They also seem fairly common in mountain areas.
Yeah they are very common in mountain areas but there actually is a big difference between gondolas and cable cars. Plus you usually don't see them running directly throught the urban core in which is proposed in Seattle. Cable cars and bigger and slower, usually would have to slow down with traffic while gondolas just move about everything alot faster!

Old 03-05-2014, 09:56 AM

5,461 posts, read 5,702,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevanXL View Post
Cable cars and bigger and slower, usually would have to slow down with traffic while gondolas just move about everything alot faster!
Why would cable cars slow down with traffic? They are above it, see my pic above. They don't have to be on the ground like in SF.

Old 03-05-2014, 10:09 AM

10,743 posts, read 23,798,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevanXL View Post
Seattle News, Weather and Traffic | KOMO Newsradio FM 97.7/AM 1000
A Gondola with a Cherry on Top | citytank

Seattle just had a proposal for a gondola line from the center of downtown to the waterfront of Seattle. It's supposed to cut down on street level congestion and make it easier for people to access the waterfront. 2 years ago an expansive gondola project was proposed from Capitol Hill in Seattle to South lake union to the Seattle center ending at the waterfront. Gondolas have been used as an important form of public transportation in many other cities in the world but I have yet to see them used as more then a tourist attraction here in America. Do you think it can work? Could more US cities see these projects happening?
Some planners in Montreal entertained this idea as well but it became nothing more than a pipedream. Not sure how far this idea would go in Seattle.
//www.city-data.com/forum/montr...l-gondola.html

Old 03-05-2014, 10:27 AM

9,961 posts, read 17,512,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessgeek View Post
Why would someone leave a message on their roof about a gondola ride? Maybe they thought a free espresso drink would be offered. Portland's lumberjack ancestors were tougher and more realistic people than the current pretentious hipsters that are there now.

You think they will sell these rides for single digits. With all due respect, I don't think so. C'mon Portland. Every time you have real city aspirations, you shoot yourself in the foot. Give the tie dye shirt to Goodwill already. One major league team. You are second class. Own it.
Most people in Portland just questioned whether an expensive tram was really the best option to solve the transportation issues getting up to OHSU on the crest of the West Hills. A realistic concern basically. There was a lot of issues about cost of the project after it ballooned from $15 to $57 million and the city covered over 15% of the total cost. OHSU was supposed to cover most of the costs as it was basically their project and as well there questions about the development of the new South Waterfront district at the base of the tram, which was supposed to have a higher presence of research facilities and offices for OHSU but ended up mostly condo towers. There was a lot of debate around the construction costs, angry city councillors, and sort of brief blowback against similar urban renewal projects.

In the end the tram basically sorted of ended up more of a tourist attraction than an essential piece of transportation infrastructure but OHSU employees tend to use it often...it's sort of forgotten by the rest of Portland at this point though.

But please go on with your cliches no matter how out of date they are... (Seriously, lumberjacks and tie-dyed t-shirts?)

Last edited by Deezus; 03-05-2014 at 10:55 AM..

Old 03-05-2014, 12:18 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,192,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
Wow haters gonna hate. All due respect you say huh? I guess its in Portland's best interest for urban planners to listen to what you have to say because smack talking stereotypes is always worthy advice. Whatever.

Anyway, Portland's gondola is pretty cool, nice views of the river, Mt. Hood, and Mt. St. Helens from there. It actually has a purposeful function as well connecting the waterfront streetcar to OHSU hospital which is on top of a very steep hill making access to it much easier from downtown.
I apologized to the other poster by DM last night. I should have restricted my comment to just the individual who did the objection. No, I doubt urban planners will be looking to these comments, but deserved the remark. Glad its cool and not surprised about the views.

Old 03-05-2014, 12:20 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,192,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
Most people in Portland just questioned whether an expensive tram was really the best option to solve the transportation issues getting up to OHSU on the crest of the West Hills. A realistic concern basically. There was a lot of issues about cost of the project after it ballooned from $15 to $57 million and the city covered over 15% of the total cost. OHSU was supposed to cover most of the costs as it was basically their project and as well there questions about the development of the new South Waterfront district at the base of the tram, which was supposed to have a higher presence of research facilities and offices for OHSU but ended up mostly condo towers. There was a lot of debate around the construction costs, angry city councillors, and sort of brief blowback against similar urban renewal projects.

In the end the tram basically sorted of ended up more of a tourist attraction than an essential piece of transportation infrastructure but OHSU employees tend to use it often...it's sort of forgotten by the rest of Portland at this point though.

But please go on with your cliches no matter how out of date they are... (Seriously, lumberjacks and tie-dyed t-shirts?)
Corny humor moment. I apologized to the person I was replying to last night.

Old 03-05-2014, 12:22 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,547,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Actually this to me is one that would have utility beyond purely a touristy type thing (though would likely serve that as well) - Imagine this would give some awesome shots of DC

Two summers ago I did a nightime double decker bus in DC on a hot August night (even a rain shower) but the views from some of the vantage points were really worth it. DC without skyscrapers has a very distinct look - quite majestic and with the monuments lit up and the city as the back drop can be really stunning. So am imagining a Higher vantage a little futher NW along th Potomac vs the bridge from the Lincoln Memorial to Arlington would afford some spectacular views

Also FWIW the roof lounge of the W by the White House has some great views for the price of drink

I absolutely agree, finding spectacular views in DC sometimes can sometimes be a challenge, but I think Gondolas over the Potomac would be a great idea and also be useful as another means of transport across the river. Metro is expected to expand in Georgetown and add a 2nd tunnel in Rosslyn so there will be even more foot traffic in the coming years. I've been to that POV lounge atop the W and I agree is one of the best places for a view of the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.