Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2014, 04:19 AM

6,413 posts, read 12,103,836 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
I guess it depends where you live as to how you determine the definition of Gondola. In the Providence/Boston area and Italy it's a boat. In Portland, Or. I never heard the term Gondola, but I heard Cable Car for the one that goes from the riverfront to OHSU.

Yes there has been some confusion on the use of the word Gondola on this forum.
Actually, here in Portland we don't call it a Cable Car ... we call it the Aerial Tram. After all, we are on the coast where the real Cable Cars are ... in San Francisco. So, no, it's not, and never has been, a Cable Car to us.

But then, what do we know, we're just a bunch of dumb hicks, descended from lumberjacks, who wear tie-dye t-shirts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2014, 01:49 AM

Quote:
I guess it depends where you live as to how you determine the definition of Gondola. In the Providence/Boston area and Italy it's a boat. In Portland, Or. I never heard the term Gondola, but I heard Cable Car for the one that goes from the riverfront to OHSU.

I think that technically, the term gondola refers to the car itself, while the whole system is referred to as a tram or tramway. For example, the "car" that's attached to a ferris wheel, or something like the London Eye, is called a gondola.

Old 05-09-2014, 07:43 AM

12,663 posts, read 21,824,587 times
Quote:

I mostly grew up in the Boston\Providence area and when I hear gondola I think of what you are referring to as a cable car. I ski a lot, so that's probably why. Many New England ski resorts have them and call them "gondolas." I do refer to Providence's venetian river boat as a gondola too though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
Actually, here in Portland we don't call it a Cable Car ... we call it the Aerial Tram. After all, we are on the coast where the real Cable Cars are ... in San Francisco. So, no, it's not, and never has been, a Cable Car to us.
I think theres a big difference between a cable car/gondola and an aerial tram. The former are usually smaller (hold two to 8 people) and there are many of them on a continuing circuit on the cable. The trams are much bigger and hold anywhere from 30 to over 80 people. Usually there are only two tram vehicles on a line and they travel in opposite directions. We have both in New England and there's a definite distinction.

Google Cannon Aerial Tram and Killington Gondola to see New England examples of each.

Last edited by lrfox; 05-09-2014 at 07:53 AM..

Old 05-09-2014, 09:26 AM

It doesn't matter the size, the car (or vehicle) itself is still a gondola. And a tram is the system on which it runs, whether it's cars/trolleys on the ground or gondolas in the air.

Old 05-09-2014, 03:19 PM

1,741 posts, read 2,609,861 times
In Albuquerque we have the Sandia Peak Tramway connecting the city with the top of the Sandia Mountains. It was built because the only other way to easily access the ski area at the top was to take the back road on the other side of the mountains, which is a much longer (and slightly treacherous at times) journey from the city than simply driving up to the foothills of the mountains on the edge of the city where the base station for the tram is now located.

Tramway to me has always meant systems like those in New York City for Roosevelt Island, the one in Palm Springs and the one here in Albuquerque - the ones with the bigger cars.

When I first read the title of this thread I understood a gondola to be those smaller cars that ride on a cable suspended in the air. The ones I'm most familiar with are the ones you see at amusement parks and ski areas.

When I hear the term cable car I think only of the ones in San Francisco.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.