Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2020, 11:45 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,473,841 times

Advertisements

3+ lanes each way in Kentucky and urban area almost always has lights throughout. 2 lanes each way even in urban areas only has lighting at exits. Rural 3 lane interstates only have lighting at exits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2020, 10:11 PM

16,554 posts, read 10,626,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afobulous View Post
Houston has the best freeway lighting in the country IMO. i have driven in many cities in the U.S. and Cailfornia is worst at freeway lighting i think it's due to lack of State funding. Dallas is not as nearly as good as Houston because most of her lights are normal standard 1980s looking lights where Houston has lots of High Mast Lighting.
I've never understood the thing with high mast lighting. Sure, the road is lit up . . . but so is the median strip, the grassy areas inside the cloverleaf ramps, the areas beyond the shoulder, the adjacent neighborhoods, and so on. I much prefer the standard street lights that put their light just on the roadway itself, where it's needed.

Old 09-06-2020, 10:27 PM

11,794 posts, read 8,008,183 times
From the cities I've lived in

Chicago: Very well lit Interstates, Tollways, Surface roads. Probably the best you will find it in the country.

Seattle: Lit pretty well after you're within the 405 perimeter, or 405 itself. Not so much outside of 405, Tacoma's I-5 and I-705 and WA-16 are lit

DFW: Very well lit Interstates / tollroads, most surface roads are also very well lit, some are lacking though.

Atlanta: Very spotty, some areas are very well lit, such as I-75 ITP, I-85 in Fulton CO, I-85 between I-285 / GA-316 in Dekalb / Gwinnett... Surface roads ITP are pretty decently lit. Surface roads OTP can be hit or miss. The are other areas that are desperately in need of lighting such as I-285 bypass, I-75 thru Cobb (used to be lit but they are deactivated), I-20 OTP East and West side.

Austin: Most freeways / toll roads are lit with the exception of 45 and 130. Surface streets are also fairly lit until you get into the suburbs where it is hit or miss.

-------------

From places I've visited...

Los Angeles / San Francisco: Was very shocked at how lacking they were in night lighting, especially for the freeway capital of the world. There are freeways with decent night lighting but most did not have them.

Phoenix AZ: Very well lit

Houston TX: Very well lit

Miami / Tampa / St.Petersburgh / Orlando: Very well lit

NOLA: Very well lit

Charlotte: Very well lit

Nashville: Depended on the area, some roads were adequately lit, others were terrible

D.C. Intown areas were decently lit, I-495, I-95, and suburban freeways did not have lightning for the most part. Most suburban roads were not lit.

NYC area: Very well lit

Philadelphia: Most interstates were pretty well lit

Pittsburgh: Only lit around the downtown areas.

Old 09-07-2020, 11:19 AM

4,147 posts, read 2,962,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle242 View Post
California doesn't have them. Not in LA or SFBAY, most interchanges are lit but in many areas they are inactive.

Before coming to San Jose, I lived in Chicagoland and for most part highways are very well lit in every direction.
Actually, there's a handful of interstates in the Bay Area that have constant street lighting for a stretch, but it's kind of limited to those freeways.

In SoCal, never seen any freeway streetlights other than a couple near the freeway exits, but that doesn't count.

I've always wondered why California is so devoid of streetlights. The fog at night on the coasts can be very thick, you'd need some lighting.

OKC has streetlights on basically every freeway (until the freeways turn into rural interstates) and some toll roads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.