Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2014, 06:14 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,937,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
Agree 100%. I've spent most of life in Massachusetts and I love living in the Southwest. Adapting wasn't hard. Going back to New England and re-adapting would be more difficult.

Well nep, since your thread discussions tend to frequently generate the response of "stay in Connecticut" since you don't seem very willing to adapt to anywhere outside of New England, I'd suggest either...

A: Find a better town/city to live in within a reasonable distance to work.
or
B: Go back to the Hartford area and find a similar job.

If you love your job, then you are very fortunate so be grateful for that and figure out a way to make it work out. You don't have to scapegoat geography and your surroundings all the time. Being able to find a relationship is a personal thing, geography not as a much as you project it to be.
I refuse to stay in this area though. I just can't adapt and I don't want to adapt to it. I hate NYC and anything that has to do with big cities. And I'm not going back to Hartford...I left for a reason and think it would be unhealthy to go back. Eastern CT has no jobs, so I can't go there either. I basically have to leave CT.

I can understand that adapting to the southwest (Assuming you are talking about NM or AZ) wasn't that hard. I've been to those places and I agree.....I didn't sense any significant culture shock or accents. Unfortunately, I'm not interested in that region, even though it's beautiful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2014, 07:22 AM

14,352 posts, read 17,012,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Yeah well I can't stand it here, even though the people talk the same as me (no accent). Maybe I could try a southern or Midwestern area again. I tried Charlotte a year ago and didn't like it much. Some places I have in mind are Columbus, Indianapolis, Buffalo, Rochester, Raleigh, Sacramento, Minneapolis, St. Louis, Providence, Pittsburgh, Omaha, etc.

You have to understand that it's hard for a New Englander to fit in anywhere else in the U.S., except for maybe the mid Atlantic states and FL. I don't know anyone who has done it and loved it.

But soon I will be old (30) so maybe relocating is no longer a good idea. My family is pressuring me to settle down and buy a house right here, right now. But I don't want to.
I grew up in Connecticut, and have lived in Pittsburgh for around nine years now. The accent is different, as is the culture (Pittsburghers are not outgoing in the same way Midwesterners are, but they are much louder and more direct than people in New England).

That said, I couldn't be happier here. Pittsburgh offers a safe urban experience with a low cost of living compared to New England. Real estate prices have been rising here, but you can still buy some amazing things at low prices.

Old 03-10-2014, 09:13 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,937,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
I grew up in Connecticut, and have lived in Pittsburgh for around nine years now. The accent is different, as is the culture (Pittsburghers are not outgoing in the same way Midwesterners are, but they are much louder and more direct than people in New England).

That said, I couldn't be happier here. Pittsburgh offers a safe urban experience with a low cost of living compared to New England. Real estate prices have been rising here, but you can still buy some amazing things at low prices.
Yeah, I've never been to Pittsburgh, but would like to see it. I'm not that much of an outgoing person, and I'm reserved and quiet. But I still like to have some social interaction of course, too.

Old 03-11-2014, 09:20 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
Quote:
Yeah, I've never been to Pittsburgh, but would like to see it. I'm not that much of an outgoing person, and I'm reserved and quiet. But I still like to have some social interaction of course, too.
Pittsburgh has lower density in many areas and fairly mild seasons to go along with all the hilly topography. It also has a good number of finance and accounting jobs and the COL is much lower than CT.

Old 03-13-2014, 05:55 AM

383 posts, read 511,877 times
Definitely check out Columbus. Young growing city. Lots of banking and financial institutions. Chase has second most employees here after NYC.

Old 03-13-2014, 08:12 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,517,350 times
I'd say Columbus or Pittsburgh. Both will have accents though.

Old 03-14-2014, 12:10 PM

16,555 posts, read 10,607,780 times
Quote:
I don't like southern or Midwestern accents too much, either.
Quote:
Yeah well I can't stand it here, even though the people talk the same as me (no accent).

But soon I will be old (30) so maybe relocating is no longer a good idea. My family is pressuring me to settle down and buy a house right here, right now. But I don't want to.
I would venture to guess that you do have an accent; it's just that since you and everyone around you talks like you, you don't notice it.

The first time I ever went to New York was when I was 18 years old, when my then-girlfriend and I flew up from Florida to visit her brother and his girlfriend. They picked us up at the airport and took us out to dinner. Right away I was struck by their incredibly thick Noo Yawk accents, but I didn't say anything. Out of the blue, the brother's girlfriend said to me, "You have such a cute accent!" I didn't think I had one, but then again, most people around me talked like I did, with a mild Southern accent; so it's not something I was consciously aware of. But before I could say anything, the brother chimed in: "He doesn't have an accent; WE do!"

Anyhow, I do sympathize with your plight, as Connecticut is not my cup of tea either. But if you don't want to live in a place where the people speak with a different accent than yours, you might as well resign yourself to staying in New England.

As for your final quote, you might want to ask yourself if you want to live near your family, or would prefer to put some distance between yourself and them. This might help you make your decision as well.

Old 03-14-2014, 12:50 PM

27,169 posts, read 43,857,618 times
[quote=nep321;33800363]I don't like southern or Midwestern accents too much, either. I want it to be a place that a New Englander can fit in just fine./QUOTE]

That's too bad as the Midwest or South tend to be somewhat tolerant of New England accents.

Old 03-14-2014, 01:02 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,496,781 times
Quote:
Yeah well I can't stand it here, even though the people talk the same as me (no accent). Maybe I could try a southern or Midwestern area again. I tried Charlotte a year ago and didn't like it much. Some places I have in mind are Columbus, Indianapolis, Buffalo, Rochester, Raleigh, Sacramento, Minneapolis, St. Louis, Providence, Pittsburgh, Omaha, etc.

You have to understand that it's hard for a New Englander to fit in anywhere else in the U.S., except for maybe the mid Atlantic states and FL. I don't know anyone who has done it and loved it.

Eh... not sure about that. I think you just need to be open minded and in a major metro that is transplant friendly, but you don't like major metros... so, there is your answer.

Anyway, I would suggest another major metro, but live in the burbs.

Old 03-14-2014, 01:12 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
Quote:

These two things clinched it for me.
First everyone can "fit in" everywhere if they really want to but if they are snobby and "think" they do not have an accent (which they do) and look down on pretty much everyone they will not fit in because of their own attitude not those around them.
Next if you think 30 is OLD...........that's a laugh, wait until you are 60 and still living where you hate it, working a dead end job, have a gazillion dollars in the bank and are still alone and don't "fit in" because of the intolerant accented judgmental attitude you have shown in the words you have posted here.

Good luck ~~ PS: You more than likely will not find St Louis or Indianapolis welcoming because the people that live there are tolerant of others, strive not to judge too much and they all have accents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.