Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2014, 10:11 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,947,442 times

Advertisements

Okay, so the South is a very religious region of the country, even though some atheists live there. But what about out west? Isn't the western U.S. (besides the west coast) also a Bible oriented region? If so, to what degree and how does it compare to the South? Is it as in-your-face with MegaChurches everywhere? Denver, SLC, ABQ, PHX, LV, etc.?

Old 03-30-2014, 12:01 PM

1,640 posts, read 2,656,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Okay, so the South is a very religious region of the country, even though some atheists live there. But what about out west? Isn't the western U.S. (besides the west coast) also a Bible oriented region? If so, to what degree and how does it compare to the South? Is it as in-your-face with MegaChurches everywhere? Denver, SLC, ABQ, PHX, LV, etc.?
Are you out your mind? You clearly, clearly have no idea what you're talking.

FAIAP, the Intermountain West is the least religious area of the country, save Utah and maybe Idaho due to a very strong LDS presence, parts of Southern California (e.g., Orange County) due to lots of Midwestern and Southern transplants, and the Borderlands due to a Mexican Catholic influence.

Again, for the most part, people aren't very religious in the Western U.S. because, unlike the Eastern U.S., people are less conformist, less questioning, and less traditional overall.

Also, the West is pretty slim on black/African-American people outside of California, a group who trends rather religious.

Recently, Phoenix was ranked one of the least "Bible-oriented" or "Bible-minded" cities in the entire country, right up there with Hartford, Providence, Albany, et al. However, unlike Phoenix (which is home to lots of people who are just irreligious), those Northeastern cities are overwhelmingly Roman Catholic, and Catholic people aren't very "Bible-minded" because the Bible plays less of a role in the lives and worship of Roman Catholics than it does with Protestants, who believe in the doctrine/dogma of "Sola Scriptura" (i.e., the Scripture or Bible is the only and most supreme source of religious authority). Catholics, OTOH, believe in the doctrine/dogma of the Church/Papal Authority in addition to the Bible.

Although I'm irreligious now, I was raised a RC in the most Catholic state, attended 13 yrs. or RC school, and received all of the sacraments, so don't mess with me on that front.

Believe it or not, Phoenix even less religious than Las Vegas because Vegas is home to lots more black people, most of whom are California transplants.

Last edited by 8to32characters; 03-30-2014 at 12:12 PM..

Old 03-30-2014, 01:38 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,947,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8to32characters View Post

FAIAP, the Intermountain West is the least religious area of the country, save Utah and maybe Idaho due to a very strong LDS presence, parts of Southern California (e.g., Orange County) due to lots of Midwestern and Southern transplants, and the Borderlands due to a Mexican Catholic influence.

Again, for the most part, people aren't very religious in the Western U.S. because, unlike the Eastern U.S., people are less conformist, less questioning, and less traditional overall.

Also, the West is pretty slim on black/African-American people outside of California, a group who trends rather religious.

Recently, Phoenix was ranked one of the least "Bible-oriented" or "Bible-minded" cities in the entire country, right up there with Hartford, Providence, Albany, et al. However, unlike Phoenix (which is home to lots of people who are just irreligious), those Northeastern cities are overwhelmingly Roman Catholic, and Catholic people aren't very "Bible-minded" because the Bible plays less of a role in the lives and worship of Roman Catholics than it does with Protestants, who believe in the doctrine/dogma of "Sola Scriptura" (i.e., the Scripture or Bible is the only and most supreme source of religious authority). Catholics, OTOH, believe in the doctrine/dogma of the Church/Papal Authority in addition to the Bible.

Although I'm irreligious now, I was raised a RC in the most Catholic state, attended 13 yrs. or RC school, and received all of the sacraments, so don't mess with me on that front.

Believe it or not, Phoenix even less religious than Las Vegas because Vegas is home to lots more black people, most of whom are California transplants.
I've always seen research showing that the lease religious states in the nation are Vermont and New Hampshire.

Old 03-30-2014, 04:34 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,921,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I've always seen research showing that the lease religious states in the nation are Vermont and New Hampshire.
Yes.

http://m.theatlanticcities.com/neigh...ro-areas/5180/

The "bible belt" argument aside, about 73 percent of Americans NATIONWIDE identify themselves as Christian. As has previously been pointed out in this thread, evangelical congregations are growing and thriving in some surprising places, from New York City to San Francisco. Religion is not dead in this country.

Old 03-30-2014, 06:49 PM

1,219 posts, read 1,508,326 times
Just like any other town except more churches. if you are atheist you have a 70% chance of not getting lynched

Old 03-30-2014, 11:24 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,927,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Yes.

America's Most (and Least) Religious Metro Areas - Richard Florida - The Atlantic Cities

The "bible belt" argument aside, about 73 percent of Americans NATIONWIDE identify themselves as Christian. As has previously been pointed out in this thread, evangelical congregations are growing and thriving in some surprising places, from New York City to San Francisco. Religion is not dead in this country.

Yet you seem so defensive about how many Catholics Savannah has. Catholics are nothing at all like Evangelicals.

Keep dreaming about growing Christian Fundamentalism. Religion is not nearly as popular with the younger generation.

Old 03-30-2014, 11:44 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,968,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
Too many churches. You can't even have a sense of community. It's one church vs the other. And the universal rule is only one race can attend. I would much rather prefer one big church for the community, instead of one white, black, and Hispanic churches.
There can never be too many churches. I have one almost next door and I walk my dog on their lawn.

Old 04-01-2014, 09:33 AM

51 posts, read 135,831 times
TBH, most people that live in the bible belt know it sucks compared to other places but they put on a false sense of pride to tell themselves it is great. Outside of Florida and Texas, the other southern states are mostly irrelevant for people. Atlanta might be a good city for tourism but overall people in the bible belt feel a major inferiority complex compared to people in other regions. Deep down they know that the Northeast and West Coast are far more important which is why they talk so much nonsense about those areas. Most of the younger southerners want to go elsewhere because there is more opportunity and they know the ignorance of their area.

Old 04-01-2014, 09:45 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,927,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8to32characters View Post

I remember a nun in grade school teaching us geography about how rain eroded mountains over millions of years. I can only imagine what is taught in those Southern Christian private schools (created soley out of opposition to public school integration in the 60's) where the Earth is 5,000 years old. Catholics are nothing at all like Christian Evangelicals, excpet the few rare specimens like Santorum who as a leader in the US Senate was promptly turned out of office by PA Catholics, lol.

Old 04-01-2014, 10:53 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
It's like the midwest with less cornfields, more forests and warmer weather
That's it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.